Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Beerax

Trader Rating: (0)
Beerax is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DOHC Ka24de-t PS gushing out of reservoir?

I picked up a ka-t s13 with a dohc. It did not have power steering hooked up, so I grabbed lines and a reservoir. I believe I have the lines on correctly as well as no obvious leaks. I did not use the stock return line just to avoid the long cooler lines that run along the subframe, I will eventually just run it through a cooler. I am just running a regular hose from reservoir to rack with the correct threaded end of course. Is the return line too short? Is the banjo bolt to the pump damaged? Is there just that much air in the system that it's launching fluid out and building that much pressure? I didn't run it for too long. Started it; I believe the ps was working, popped the cap and it fountained now if I run it without the cap it's a constant fountain. Has any one else had this issue? I am running reg PS fluid just to see if the rack and everything was functioning because like I said I'm going to end up running a cooler anyways which then I will re flush with ATF.
Beerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
The PS system uses ATF first off, adding in some lucas Power steering additive thickens the fluid a little for better performance when things get hot. You need to put some kind of cooler in, sooner than later. Even if it is the stock hardline looped in front of the engine crossmember.

You might have the system over filled if its gushing out of the cap. I've always bled mine with the front end lifted and turning the wheel lock to lock a couple of times.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
Beerax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxScores View Post
The PS system uses ATF first off, adding in some lucas Power steering additive thickens the fluid a little for better performance when things get hot. You need to put some kind of cooler in, sooner than later. Even if it is the stock hardline looped in front of the engine crossmember.

You might have the system over filled if its gushing out of the cap. I've always bled mine with the front end lifted and turning the wheel lock to lock a couple of times.
I'm just using power steering right now, I don't plan on running it. It's just what I had laying around, just to see if the rack and pump were still operable. The car doesn't give me a chance to bleed it. When I fire it up power steering launches out of the reservoir, I mean launch as in splashes out all over the bay just at idle. It's almost like I'm getting fluid backwards or something.

I assume I'm the only one that never had any luck with power steering systems? 😭
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerax View Post
I'm just using power steering right now, I don't plan on running it. It's just what I had laying around, just to see if the rack and pump were still operable. The car doesn't give me a chance to bleed it. When I fire it up power steering launches out of the reservoir, I mean launch as in splashes out all over the bay just at idle. It's almost like I'm getting fluid backwards or something.

I assume I'm the only one that never had any luck with power steering systems? [emoji24]
You just have the pressure and return connections mixed up at the rack. It shouldn't shoot of the reservoir like a geiser at anytime.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Beerax

Quote:
You just have the pressure and return connections mixed up at the rack. It shouldn't shoot of the reservoir like a geiser at anytime.

If that was the case my steering wheel would go ape shit when you touch it.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

You said it's going ape shit just by starting the car.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Beerax

Quote:
You said it's going ape shit just by starting the car.

The fluid out of the reservoir goes ape shit.

Have you seen what it does when you switch those lines around? It yanks your wheel out of your hand, that's not my issue.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

I've never seen that, or your current problem

Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
Did you ever figure this out?
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
Beerax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatche View Post
Did you ever figure this out?
I apologize for the late response but yes I did. It literally just had that much air built up I assume. I let it just fountain for a good few seconds instead of panicking and killing it and eventually it quit. Haven't had issues since. 👍