Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reclining vs Fixed Buckets crash dilemma in a street car.

Been looking into this recently and trying to weigh out the pros and cons in a logical way. Two things off the bat is stock seats arent supportive and are 25 years old so whats the point in keeping as far as "safety/comfort" so at this point I need better seats after building up my chassis and replacing all other 25 year old bits.

I started looking into getting some reclinables, first brand new ones, nothing crazy from sparco and recaro(r100/a4) then thought if im going to spend 300-400ish why not find a nice bride off YAJ and ship one over. Can find a lot in my price range and im sure if I look around long enough I can find some gem. The issue i've seen with reclinables unless you pay 1k plus for a new one and not some used brix is safety from a rear end and getting whiplash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Qsd4-8IMo

So pros to reclinable is adjustment, comfort, can wear a normal seat belt and have a harness whenever you go to track. Cons is most name brand ones arent going to have any sort of support from a rear end and you will snap the seat and get crazy whiplash.

Next is a fixed bucket which you can find same price range and if you want an FIA one will be a little more (dont see myself seeing any serious track time, I drive it mainly street). In the event of a crash there is no chance or less of a chance with the seat snaping backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQxIIWOqpE

Pros to a fixed is a rear crash it wont snap, way more support when actually driving the car at a track or outside of normal driving day to day. Cons having to run a harness then having the obvious harness related injurys since we dont have neck brace like in proper motorsport driving. So with the harness basically gluing your shoulders to the seat your neck will have a lot force put on it. Other thing is submarining if dont run a proper harness setup.

So its a toss up between having a name brand reclining bucket which is better setup for a daily but since its "track use" that thing will snap like a twig in the event of a real rear end collision while with a fixed you wont fly back but having a harness setup in a street accident is I think just as equally as threatening to injuries.

I was thinking about having a happen medium with both and getting some factory seats that hug pretty well and since factory cars all go through test vs old japanese buckets they are objectively held at a higher safety standard. Only two cars I was looking at with nice factory seats that recline are the 350z and gen coupe. The only issue is having some fuck boy charge an arm and a leg for factory seats so they can throw in some ebay rep spec seats for scene points. I gaurantee if someone swaps seats out of a gen or z the owner probably did not take very good care of them and im not about to get a used pair of vape spilled wrinkled seats for the price of one decent seat. Im in florida so I already am a defensive driver but my biggest fear is just waiting at a light for someone to fuck me up or some wannbe racer trying to cut traffic and hits me 50mph+ in the back.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if safety is your main concern probably best going with a oem seat. That status video is great in all but there is no cushion on most fixed seats at least enough to reduce head injury without a helmet when you head swings back.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
if safety is your main concern probably best going with a oem seat. That status video is great in all but there is no cushion on most fixed seats at least enough to reduce head injury without a helmet when you head swings back.
I forgot to add that in as well since even whatever whiplash you get leaning back your hitting way back in the hard bucket seat. Besides 350z I dont know what other oem seats to look at?

The only reclinable seats that have been catching my eye is braum. I dont know how they will hold up in a crash but i've read they are TUV certified which is some euro private crash company so assuming they will hold up OK. Dont look bad and is 700-800 for a pair. If im getting seats, I cant leave the passanger out. If I look at others in the range from recaro or sparco the seats dont look comfortable and have no crash rating at all. From what I know you can put these in and they pass for street. Sorta like you get certain bolt on that are approved in emission heavy states.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hope this thread gets going. I might also be in the market for new reclinable racing style seats soon. Reclinable, comfortable, plenty of lateral support, small size, safe, and cheap. That's not a lot to ask for, right? hahaha. Im hoping to spend no more than a grand for new seats. Yes I know, that's a tough one... That is unless I can get used set in mint cond.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

I mean this isnt like the other threads lately but yeah in the same boat. Realistically for me my budget is 400ish for single seat but if I can get a pair around 700-800 then ill be fine.

The thing is why im leaning for new very used hot boy seats is safety point of view. I know all day I can pick up a set of brix or even some confeti recaros on YAJ for 100-200ish but my issue with them being +-25 years old is how they will hold up. They will look nice but I doubt they will hold up and do exactly what its like in the video. If I lived in a more backroads and quiet area i'd get them all day but living here with the amount of cars and just in general bad drivers I wouldnt be surprised if I got rear ended. Front end im not so worried about, just need to get rid of this death trap nrg wheel and get a nice nardi and im good. I did z front brakes and just that I feel a lot safer and im a pretty aware and cautious driver keeping my distance so the odds of me going 50+ and rear ending someone isnt likely.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You're overthinking things, the differences between any well engineered/designed seats are negligible. You are unlikely to experience the kind of forces that they are subjecting the seats to in those videos on the street (I used to work for an insurance company and have seen 100s of accidents) and if you do; most seats, OEM or not will perform in a similar manner. Even on the track its rare to be exposed to that much force. I would just get quality seats that you like and be done with it.

FWIW this was an accident I was involved in in 2011. I was stopped at a light and was rear ended by a jeep going 65+ mph and forced underneath a pickup truck hard enough to break the leaf spring mounts and separate the rearend from the truck on one side. My seat setup at the time was a rep Bride Vios fixed back with the factory 3 point seat belt. You can't tell from the pics but the OEM passenger seat broke at the base on the right side. I walked away 100% fine and wasn't even sore the next day. My passenger did suffer some whiplash and ended up doing a week or so of PT but was more or less fine as well. I definitely benefited from being in the fixed seat but likely would have been fine either way.

My current setup is an authentic Zeta II with the factory 3 point belts and a Brix 1.5 passenger seat. You can safely run the factory belts with most fixed seats, I don't recommend harnesses in street driven cars since as you mentioned above they tend to do more harm then good. My 2 cents...
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
jdmblood
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
jdmblood is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
dont really overthink it man. just find a seat you like and rock it
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
You're overthinking things, the differences between any well engineered/designed seats are negligible. I don't recommend harnesses in street driven cars since as you mentioned above they tend to do more harm then good. My 2 cents...
This has become my general idea after looking into it more and also looking into the whole real vs fake thing. Most Brides, recaro and sparco seats arent FIA approved and if they are then its a bucket. So whats to any difference between a "fake" and name brand if they both arent fia approved? Neither have been tested and there is no solid proof between a quality rep and brand name. I have seen no difference in crash pictures on fake/real bucket seats. I would say there is a difference in reclinable, shit just look at the bride video I posted.

But then again like you said the difference is very moot in outcome of a big crash. There is this video of a recaro and looks to hold up a lot better. I think for a reclinable I would go recaro since basically every car manufacture with "race" seat addons (Nissan, honda, toyota, porsche, subaru etc) all run recaros and since they are production seats they hold up the same standards as the stock manufactured seats. Even in 2017 we dont have any test videos of name brand seats fixed/buckets in a crash test? Why is that? You pay upwards to a car for a set of low max gias and for what? They look sick but have had no certified testing.

So I guess with now with the big question which is worse in an accident? A quality reclinable seat swinging you back and forth getting whiplash or having a bucket fixed and you taking all the force to head flying into the seat since your shoulders and core are already stuck to the seat.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Recaro video, also food for thought out of all the brands how come they are the only ones to make baby seats? Must know what they are doing to make seats to protect a new born
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoauIutCmc
Old 07-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
I prefer any of the OEM/Optional Recaros if you want a reclining seat. SR3/SRD/Speed or whatever. They were good enough to come in many 90s-00s cars and still look to be made with the exact same design. A plus that they can be had in all sorts of colors/patterns. I can't speak on how they hold up over time, but I would rather be in an older Recaro than say a stock S13 seat of the same age.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #11
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
The other thing your going to deal with is the height of the seat. Bracket and slider installed you might find it higher than stock. I just test fitted a OMP design 2 seat with a planted bracket with a slider and it was just too high.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStayBroke View Post
I prefer any of the OEM/Optional Recaros if you want a reclining seat. SR3/SRD/Speed or whatever. [/IMG]
I was looing into these last night on coober. They are fairly cheap on upgarge and the evo 5 and dc5 came with some pretty nice colors. The confetti style has grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
The other thing your going to deal with is the height of the seat. Bracket and slider installed you might find it higher than stock. I just test fitted a OMP design 2 seat with a planted bracket with a slider and it was just too high.
Thats what im looking to now. I was going to just make my own brackets or try use my stock sliders. I know I can get away with it on certain seats. I really like these braum seats since they have newer look to them and just look a lot more comfortable then some used 90s reclining. I have to check out the measurements compared to similar seats.

Where I am right now is 3 choices. Either get some older recaros and go through the hassel of importing some through streeter, get some rep fixed brides. Just not sure on the comfort in a street/daily setting. Some guys dont mind rattling there whole car with solid mounts while when I put in my solid tranny mount I took it out the next day for a nimso mount. The last option is get some nicer reclinable seats with a not so well know but quality company.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #13
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

I have the confetti Recaros in my Z32 and had the red ITR seats in my S13 before that, used Bride RO rails and it sits lower than stock on both. I have a Brix for my Chaser, but that's temporary while I look for more Recaros.

If you have a local importer/race shop/friends I would check them out just to sit in some seats and see how you fit in them. Nothing like finding out the seat you waited to receive from Japan doesn't support like you thought it would, or worse, you don't fit in it at all.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I have the confetti Recaros in my Z32 and had the red ITR seats in my S13 before that, used Bride RO rails and it sits lower than stock on both. I have a Brix for my Chaser, but that's temporary while I look for more Recaros.

If you have a local importer/race shop/friends I would check them out just to sit in some seats and see how you fit in them. Nothing like finding out the seat you waited to receive from Japan doesn't support like you thought it would, or worse, you don't fit in it at all.
good idea there is this one pretty well know shop down here I can stop by and ask. I know they will want to rape me on prices 1k plus for a pair.

I weight 180ish at 5'10 so I guess im average size, I could drop another 30lbs eventually lol I used to be 155 till I stopped baseball. Im sure i'll fit pretty alright in some sr3 seats. Im about a 32-34 waist.

How did the ITR and SR feel? Im sure way better than stock s14s I have now. I like the red ITR's but I feel like i would be flammed for putting in honda seats lol plus if the wrong person catches my car and sees the seats, they will for sure take them.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #15
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
s15 seats.
I wouldn't want a bucket if you daily drive the car

i have an s15 passenger and a Sparco milano 2 reclinable with adjustable lumbar support, really nice for daily driving. They are comfortable to sit in for extended periods of time, held nicely at the track too (obviously not as good as a bucket but a very worth compromise). Is especially nice when you're about to go somewhere and forget something, climbing in and out of buckets would get old quick.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #16
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
How did the ITR and SR feel?
Comfortable enough to drive in daily, still has the support to keep me from sliding around in the seat. I hate the way most stock seats feel like I'm gonna just slide right off them.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

I think i'll go with these. Im pretty set on sr3 seats and going to be on the look out for some tomcats in red. I talked to streeter and its pretty pricey for shipping about 200ish for a single. I wanted to budget it around 800 for a pair. Most companies I saw were selling new seats like sparco, corbeu, braum etc for pair for 800 but then again it goes to the safety thing and non of those have proper hinges for an accident. So I guess the plan is to find a driver for me for about 400ish for something pretty clean and then later get another seat for the passenger. I know I can pick up a regular confetti sr3 for 200 all day but these red tomcats look killer and havent seen them in an schassis yet.

I hardly ever have someone in the car and if they are its a really quick drive with no traffic so if something happens my stock s14 seats should be fine. It will just bug me not having matching seats. I guess its justifiable purchase on the car to replace the stocks seats and spend the cash since you wont ever have to replace seats again really.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
^^^ Not a bad choice

I run a Bride rep bucket as my driver and feel perfectly safe. I've seen plenty of wrecks involving fixed back reps and they hold up fine, if not better then 20 year old schassis seats.

For my passenger, I run a DC5 Type R Recaro fixed to a Planted seat bracket. I wanted to have a reclinable on the passenger side for rear seat access, but also wanted to make sure it was safe. I figured mid-00's OEM would be good enough.

They are all over ebay and honda forums

Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #19
Will.
Leaky Injector

Will. is an unknown quantity at this point
I've installed a Recaro SPG into my S15 and i've been dding it for a few months now. Feels amazing and secure.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
what about evo or sti seats? other Oem seats from cars are just as comfortable and pass crash safety on those cars...
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #21
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
There are a few things being overlooked

Bucket seats require: Harnesses (unless the 3 point belt is correctly routed), do not have cushion for whiplash effects and also do not "bend" in rollover scenarios as well.....that's what the cage is for (which should NOT be ran on a street car!). In addition to the shitty egrees, etc ergonomics the high thigh and rib bolsters can become a weapon in impacts. Which brings me to: if the rib bolsters are significant and you are NOT in a harness/suit during impact, count on replacing several of your ribs from when the 1side movement and subsequent forces drive those bolters right through your rib cage......

And for those saying "hey, go ahead and run some cheap off brand buckets because my friend ran it and it "seems" safe"......Good luck to ya!

But follow the crowd and do it anyways because all the cool people are

Just sit back and think for a moment

There is a reason why race seats are used WITH a cage and harnesses, with a full driver suit AND a helmet. And there is a reason no manufacturer (apart from the likes of a F40 to name one example) places full buckets in anything but a stripped out race car for the street.

You really think so many manufacturers with billions of dollars invested in safety are doing it wrong for the past 30 years?? Just think about that for a moment

As recommended by someone above: STI and EVO seats are a great compromise. Also, if you truly want a bucket seat, a set of Lotus Elise seats would fit the bill or if you really have the dough, a set of Recaro GT3 seats from a Porsche at a cool 5-8K will also fit the bill.

P.S Cheaping on seats and worrying about safety is on two opposite ends of the spectrum
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #22
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Im sure most people realize the issues with running a fixed bucket in a street car and even a cage. I remember reading ages ago and I think takata has a article about harness placement etc basically saying what would happen in a collisoiin, submarining, rollover etc. I think people make the case of running a bucket with a 3 point justifiable because they rather have something solid than a 80s/90s reclinable seat that will basically snap in half backwards, example is the bride video. Even case point what about two seater cars in a accident? They dont have a rear open seat to fall back into, they just hit the back of the car truck wall. Even jeep wrangles come factory with a roll cage for obvious reason so if it was so bad on a street/production car it wouldnt be on option. If you get side swiped or flip a older car I trust a cage in the door panels and roof support than factory tin can metal. So imo its a trade off like anything, regardless you better just hope karma is on your side that day, these are 25 year old car, no amount of seat/protection will save you like a new model car would.

Thought I am a big supporter in quality brands the only issue I have with real/fake debate is the scenario because even big brands like Bride have 0 crash tests on its 1-3k recliable seats, so whats to say they wont snap like an rep or no name? Its really old wives tales, "oh i herd a friend this and that" same goes for people with fake seats but as of right now there is no certified proof with some seats real or fake are any good in a crash. Some seats have been in production in 20-30 years so dont you think if they wanted to stop all this "dont buy fake" marketing they would post crash test videos on there seats in comparison? Nothing sells better than fear lol, they would get sooooo many people ditching the 500 bride vios seats for some proper brides instantly and just like me, even it cost a bit more its a "justifiable" expense because its safety. Its not like adding a 2k kit to your because you need it, you do it because you want to and it looks cool.

The only type of aftermarket seats which are certified are fixed and FIA approved but that means bugger all because its meant for track and not street blahblahblah goes back to issue of running a race seat in a street car. So I can see why people would cheap out just like fiberglass kits with real/fake, some swear fitment is better, other say reps fit fairly good, people like to support the OG but whatever. The people who can afford it will, those who cant just get whatever they feel comfortable with. There is always two sides and both have good points. This thread could start into a real/fake thing all day with wheels, kits, seats etc

The one guy made a good point, just dont overthink it and buy something thats quality and feels nice to sit in. Thats my main reason for going recaro is they look pretty good, I trust them more than sparco, corbeu, bride etc because theyre the only seat manufacture to make child seats and also OEM options in basically all car brands so I feel like they have had a history and background when it comes to seats in production safety. Other than them as far as reclinable it be OEM options. I was thinking 350z seats but its PITA to find locally and people are gonna charge fuck boy prices because if the owner is the type of person ditch factory clean seats they will want some hot boy seats for the scene points and try charge as much as they can so they can afford the reps without paying too much out of pocket. Especially now since the Z is basically the next schassis and are been destoryed by the day.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
You cannot compare a Jeep wrangler to a street car in terms of roll bar and thier intended purposes. The rollbar in those are also bolted in and in most cases, are for the asthetic "Jeep" feel. No regular street car comes with a rollbar as an option (and no, the jungle gym in the GT3 or the scaffolding in the M4 GTS don't count as they are race cars fitted with amenities for the street ) . As I mentioned, only a few cars come with Bucket seats (I listed two) from the factory. However, the seats/vehicles have been crash tested with all of this in mind and in place (atleast if they are required to be sold in the US).

Flipping in a car with a roll cage (NOT a rollbar, as they are entirely two different things) is an easy ticket to a concussion without a helmet and potentially death. Even easier without a full containment seat. And no, roll bar padding is certified to be used with a helmet, not with a skull (and pool noddles do not count as roll bar padding )

I rather have a 90s OEM seat that's been crash tested to ANY BNIB fake seat.

Crash testing seats is NOT cheap.

Wasnt trying to be a dick, just some food for thought. Also, fixed back bucket seats sucks to get into and out of on the street
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #24
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
lets be honest here OP.. If you do get a rep seat and not OEM.. is it really any worse than the 25+ year old seat you own now with worn padding?

also determine what you want your car for, if its for the track then buckets.. that's what they are for. Track use. many people that run bucket seats either 1.) use the daily on the track as well or 2.) do it to look cool. anyone who says they prefer these over a reclineable is fucking nuts as far as daily driving goes..

Get a pair of reclineable seats if its a daily and some sporty driving. Like I mentioned before, other cars have good seat options I.E. Evo, STI, GTR's, Porsche, 350/370z, ect... unless you die hard want this car to nothing but Nissan then yes G and Z seats will work fine and require little modification to work in an S- Chassis.

The point I'm trying to make is you have plenty of options and being patient on finding something isn't a bad thing, hell it took me 1 1/2 years to find the set of wheels I really wanted on my s14 for the right price... OP you seem to be leaning more towards an OEM feel so Bucket seats will not benefit you in the end here...

No accident is safe or predictable by the way... so building your car as if it were already going to get hit is quite the strange way to be looking at things IMO. If you get hit hard enough, it doesn't matter what seat your using, you'll be in some pain my friend.

Of course this all my .02 and such.
my 240 broke down..again
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240boi115 View Post
lets be honest here OP.. If you do get a rep seat and not OEM.. is it really any worse than the 25+ year old seat you own now with worn padding?
This is pretty much my thought process too. Those 90's era seats are about as safe as the cars they were put in. By 2017 standards, not fucking safe at all.

I've seen factory s13 seats bend and fold in crashes.

I haven't seen a rep fixed bucket Bride / Recaro / whatever bend or fold in a crash.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have however seen buckets sheer off their shitty ass eBay brand "universal" sliders. Do not cheap out on that part, by brand name, or just fix-mount your bucket.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #26
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Wasnt trying to be a dick, just some food for thought. Also, fixed back bucket seats sucks to get into and out of on the street
I see exactly where you come from and I do appreciate it because you were right I did over look somethings initially. I think a good point is a difference in roll cage and roll bar. I think you could get away with a 5 point cage since the main hoop is behind you and there is no pillar support from it to the dash so you wont really end up hitting your head often.

I wouldnt mind a fixed seat because its just probably another quirky thing I have to deal with on my car. Probably need QR to get out easier but my main concern with a fixed is comfort over a normal seat. Im sure a bucket feels way better than some stock oem seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post

I have however seen buckets sheer off their shitty ass eBay brand "universal" sliders. Do not cheap out on that part, by brand name, or just fix-mount your bucket.
Thats one thing I havent looked into and im a bit lost. I know I can make some adapter to fit my stock rails to bolt in a seat but scared it will fit a bit high. Then aftermarket I dont see many options for a flat/planted base/rail. Most have the side brackets for the mounting on a fixed bucket. I know I can find some decent rails like buddy club, street faction, bride etc but how do I slap on the recaros. Either make my own plate adapter to the rail sliders or do they make there own and will it line up with seats holes. Im not sure if seats have a universal standard mounting size or if manufactures have different specs and you need brackets with adjustment to fit the rails. I know BC has adapter plates for reclinable but im not sure if the recaros will fit it or its specifically meant for there own reclinable seats.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #27
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Really the purpose to my car is basically have a factory "spec" s-chassis. Like you have with the skyline gtr then you get the nur/nur ll/s/r/z tune. Basically a bump in horsepower, upgraded suspension, nicer seats that factory, AC, sound, etc

I already have suspension solid on the car, rebuilt my ka and just waiting on what to do for fuel and it will hold around 400-450 all day which is perfect, z32 brakes, I got a 2 way alarm with gps, going to be doing some speakers soon, really just need seats/steering wheel for interior since its all stock and pretty clean, then last thing is just aero and nothing beats factory styling like type x.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #28
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Im not sure if seats have a universal standard mounting size or if manufactures have different specs and you need brackets with adjustment to fit the rails. I know BC has adapter plates for reclinable but im not sure if the recaros will fit it or its specifically meant for there own reclinable seats.

I used a this type of Planted bracket for my DC5 recaro. I think I did have to drill a new hole or two but I'm not worried about it. Just use proper hardware and your good to go.

No sliders though. With sliders it would sit way to high.

http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-240SX-...hoCU9gQAvD_BwE
Old 07-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #29
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Bride ROs fit on Recaro SR3s with no modifications. Sliders and all(it's one assembly).
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #30
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Bride ROs fit on Recaro SR3s with no modifications. Sliders and all(it's one assembly).
Sweet will probably get them. Going to make my own bracket and see how they are with factory rails BUT

thread/

Was about to order seats and have them come through a freight containor and wait a few months but saw this pop up locally. Shit picture off an old phone Im using. Amazing price, stupid clean, genuine, has a crotch hole for a 5 point harness, black without any crazy design. If I were to get something like this off yaj air mailed it would be way more expensive.

AND JUST WOW, night and day. So happy I went this route. Now just need to find a pass seat but oh well in the mean time will enjoy this. Then ditching out my nrg wheel and picking a nardi deep corn from a local this week. I tried looking on CL but nothing popped up, looked on facebook through the market place and found the seat and wheel for steals.