Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
jameswouldgo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
jameswouldgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Which clutch to choose?

Hi,

My clutch just went out today. So I'm looking for a new one. I heard that Act, Exedy, Spec, etc. are all great. But I am looking for a clutch that's easy to daily drive and easy in stop and go traffic.

I've been looking at these two at the moment: Would the ACT NS1 be a good choice?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A9RDENN5BCAU5

http://www.frsport.com/ACT-NS1-HDSS-...ET_p_1065.html

I'll have a pic of my engine bay to get a idea of how much torque and horsepower I have. Boosting at 15lbs

Thanks for the help!
jameswouldgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Always went wit ACT specifically the ACT NS1-HDG6. Ii had a friend who swore by spec clutches, and by the figures it supports more touch. Where both using a GTX2867 small differences in mods, same driving style. Mine is still holding his , has less mileage and lasted less than a year.

I'd look at the torque capacity and choose accordingly.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You should probably take a few minutes and search, this particular topic had been in discussion since the early 00's.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If anything the ACT is gonna be easier on daily driver because of the full face disk.
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
l adam l
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherf92 View Post
If anything the ACT is gonna be easier on daily driver because of the full face disk.
...because other companies don't make full face disks.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Exedy stage 3 - Six puck sprung.

Grabs hard, and can still be driven every day, even in heavy traffic.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 AM   #7
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Os giken___________
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
korito727
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I agree with Zar, Exedy grabs well but isn't too abusive on the driver.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Everything is the same unless it's not.
I have had ACT, Spec, and Exedy and I like them all. ACT is my favorite though because it smells like breast milk when it slips. Reminds me of growing up on a farm where you could milk anything with nipples.

This post may or may not have been helpful you're welcome/I'm sorry.

edit: ACT even sprung is heavier than stock. Probably the heaviest clutch I've had. Spec Sprung is lighter than stock even the S3 pucked which always worried me.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Clutchmasters FX500 6 puck sprung.

Will hold 500 WHP and 450+ W-Torque and stock pedal feel. The pedal was much easier to handle (even in stop and go) than my CC Stage 2 (which barely held the 250 or so WHP before it started to slip ). Engagement is spot on and announced (but not enough to be instrusive)

The ACT has a fairly heavy pedal and the engagement point is quite abrupt. It will hold the power, but is bordeline horendous to drive in traffic

The Spec clutches I stay far away from. I have seen springs pop out and the hub spilne completely sheer off in a few thousand (if not, a few HUNDRED) of regular use and some track time.

The "JDM" offerings from the likes of Exedy, ORC, OS Giken, Nismo, Blitz, etc (which are seemingly VERY similar in design and make) all will hold about 400 WHP (not sure on torque) and will have a barely heavier than stock pedal. The downside however, is the exorbitant price of the new offerings (or if you buy used and purchase a friction plate and resurface the PP and flywheel, it's already MORE than the price of them brand new!)

Note: If you are drifting, expect a reduced life span on any clutch, regardless of how much power it holds
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
act 6 puck with heavy duty pressure plate.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I have that in my M3 with a single mass aluminium flywheel and after driving any other stick I always stall it. My left calf is a beast.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
korito727
Zilvia Member

korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hahahah breast milk.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Granted it much different than stock, my ACT isn't bad. But switching cars from my Skyline Nismo clutch to Silvia ACT clutch 90% of the time always stalled.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
My vote is os giken/ orc clutches they are seriously the best ive had so far. Great pedal feel almost like stock and comes with a lightened flywheel too. Also sounds badass!
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
comp clutch is my fav.
e30gangsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #17
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Having live in Japan for over a decade. I will say Japanese clutches are overrated and overpriced. The average Super single clutch was 70,000 yen, for what? I did love my Nismo twin but 80,000 yen lil much.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
I've never deviated from ACT sprung clutches, tried, proven, and uses exedy discs.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #19
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Don't cheap out, go with something nice like an XTD with lightweight flywheel

Jk don't do this
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
jameswouldgo
Leaky Injector

Sup guys,

I decided to go with the ORC hyper single clutch that I got from a fellow member. Hopefully things will work out well. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
MADE
Zilvia Addict

ORC Single?

What turbine is that?

Come back in 4 months and let us know how that goes.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
jameswouldgo
Leaky Injector

Here's the link.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...ght=orc+clutch