Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Found plastic shards in oil pan

Well guys heres pictures. I have ZERO idea what it is and where it came from

There was small ones in pickup but im sure only some made it through the screen

Am i fucked what do i do i havent pulled timing cover and valve cover yet. Car wouldnt idle previous to this, i rebuilt it and timed it wrong so i pulled it again and this is the first thing i find out. What in the hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thats a timing chain guide. I'd suggest against trying to start or turn the engine over by hand since you timing chain probably has no tension on it currently. I've never seen this happen before, post pics of what it looks like once you get the front cover off. Best case scenario, you replace it and are good to go, worst case you bent valves and damaged pistons...
Old 08-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Im not planning on pulling the head off. Do i need to i need this done in two days

Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Timing chain guide/tensioner
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yup, def timing chain guide.
google search the fsm, buy the part online (rockauto, etc) and get it fixed.

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobertsxn View Post
Im not planning on pulling the head off. Do i need to i need this done in two days

Best of luck. I would be pulling the head to inspect the valves after something like this, that guide ensures the chain stays tight, with enough slack your valves can kiss the pistons...

Pull the front cover and inspect before you do anything, I'd also pull the cams out at minimum to make sure all of the valves are returning properly and do a visual inspection into the intake and exhaust ports at bare minimum before you throw a new guide in and hope for the best.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

As suspected, was a timing guide. Guess when your 17 doing shit like this you have to learn the hard way not to cheap out on an ebay timing kit
Never again am i buying ebay shit for my motor lol.

So. I plan on ordering new tensioner. Replacing that and re timing it with a stock intake cam ( i have dual exhaust cam bs from previous owner which made it hell to try and time it. I think im going to send it and pray a valves not damaged. I dont have the money to have it rebuilt AGAIN for the head and dont want to bug my dad for $200 to get the head rebuilt with valves or have a shop inspect it.

Sound like a good plan? ^^

Thanks for help guys

Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

I had assumed it was an SR, but since its a KA you might be okay. I say go for it, use OE parts this time and see how it goes.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Sailor is a well-known jackass
I left out the top chain guide on my rebuilt KA, from what i've read on this forum it only causes problems (breaks and falls into you pan like you've seen) . I've been running without the top chain guide for awhile now without issue
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote