Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
jon_mr2
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (4)
jon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Restoring 89 S13 Coupe (please stop quoting pictures - Mods)

Hello Everyone, my name is Jon. Well, I always wanted to get a s13 since my friends introduced me to drifting, but never really got a chance to. Several months ago my girlfriend needed to buy a car. Just so happened, one of my friends was moving away, so he sold it to her. It is a 1989 coupe with an auto KA24E... Ever since then, its been in my garage back at home. (Its okay though, she has a car to drive since my sister left to college) I get to work on the car once a week, due to working mondays-saturdays in another town about an hour away. Anyways, just thought i would post my progress of what ive done so far and will plan to update hopefully every weekend. I didnt know if i should post or not, notice a lot of build threads lately too, so i didnt want to be just another build thread. but hey, i just thought maybe i could get some helpful tips if i need them... other than searching of course. Anyways, hope everyone enjoys the progress...

__________________________________________________ _______________
List of Parts:

INTERIOR
Aftermarket Beige Carpet
JDM Manual Seatbelts
OEM Black Seat Buckles and Rear Seatbelt
JDM Power Folding Mirrors
JDM Instrument Cluster
Nardi Classic Steering Wheel
Splash Works Bell 602 Boss Steering Wheel Hub
Alpine CDE-9881 Deck
OEM Maxima DIN Cupholder/Tray
Black Dash Cover
OEM Manual Clutch and Brake Pedal Assemblies
Nismo Aluminum Shift Knob
OEM Black Shiftboot
PBM Handbrake Knob

Engine
KA24DE
Mishimoto Radiator
Dual 12" Electric Fans
HKS Hi Power Exhaust System
CS Thermal Intake Mani Gasket
OEM Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses
OEM Thermostat
OEM Z32 Fuel Filter
OEM Valve Cover Gasket
Bando Accessory Belts
DOHC Throttle Cable
Apexi Air Filter
Black Silicone Hose Kit
OEM Full Engine Gasket Kit
Timing Chain Kit
PBM Coolant Breather Tank
PBM Magnetic Drain Plug
Water Pump

Drivetrain
Manual Transmission W/ Complete Front Wiring Harness
OEM VLSD
OEM Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
NISMO Motor/Trans Mounts
OEM DOHC Power Steering Lines
Empi Tie Rod Bellows Boots
CS Tie Rods
CS Steering Column Solid Aluminum Bushing
PBM 7mm Steering Angle Spacer
CS Rear Subframe Spacers

Suspension/Brakes
Tein Flex Coilovers
Energy Suspension Bushing Set
Megan Racing Front and Rear Sway Bar Endlinks
Ichiba 5 Lug Conversion
S14 5 Lug Rotors
Hawk Front Street Brake Pads
SPL Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Muteki Black Lug Nuts
OEM Brake Shim Kit

*Theres probably more, but ill add as i go
__________________________________________________ _______________

heres before she bought the car, pretty much completely stock.

doo doo brown interior

rust on driver side frame rail

auto KA24E

stripped the interior out

cleaning parts with superclean to prep for paint

all the stuff that came off the panels

Used some can paint: Plasti-kote vinyl spray paint. Pretty good stuff, I accidentally scratched and dropped some peices on accident and the paint adhesion is pretty good, i havent had the paint come off yet... but hey, we will see how long it actually last when its installed.

Sample of the almost finished product, I think im gona install some fabric into the door panels where the old, stock fabric was.

Installed those "JDM" power folding mirrors. found that using the housings for manual mirrors work just fine. When i did the conversion i couldnt find any info on whether or not i would need at least the automatic mirror housings and those triangular peices. Also, i think i got a mirror switch for an S14, but got it wired up and made it work. Its just one of those nice little things to have :P

New carpet. I actually wanted it lighter, but i guess it will be better than brown.

More stuff... ichiba 5 lug conversion, new stock s14 rotors, hawk brake pads, spl parts stainless steel brake lines, tein flex coilovers, energy bushing set (i was bummed i got the black set, really wanted red)...

Removing/Installing bushings at home sucks, but i got it done.

the lighting in this pic is kinda cool. but yeah, pulling the sohc out

dirty, needs to be cleaned and painted of course

thats a lot of rust under the cowl

full front engine harness for a standard trans

decided to just take the whole front end off and prep it for paint

cleaning rear subframe for paint

Last edited by jon_mr2; 08-06-2008 at 12:33 AM..
jon_mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
kdashy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
kdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kdashy
Looks pretty good for someone that has to have everything shipped to them.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
jon_mr2

jon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond reputejon_mr2 has a reputation beyond repute
stock manual pedal assemblies

1995 KA24DE

s13 manual trans w/ another KA24E

mishimoto aluminum radiator and dual electric fans

subframes painted... I really dont know if i should paint em a different color or not, ive been having doubts.

dash painted

dash cover to hide that crack i gave up on repairing

cleaner than before...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
looking good just get rid of those nasty cancer on your car and you'll be good. good luck with your build and have some fun while youre at it.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
jon_mr2

damn, i keep hitting enter and it submits my post

now to repairing that nasty rust holes... first cutting and grinding and some rust inhibitor stuff

now some fiberglass

some body filler to smooth things out

battery tray out, battery will be relocated

almost there...

done for the cowl... im not going to make it super perfect, since it will be covered anyways with those plastic panels

front end almost ready for paint, just need to finish primering the engine bay

some undercoating :P

painted wiper arms and cowl peices with trim paint

looks like brand new almost

oh yeah, i have to finish sanding smooth the battery tray area before i primer

new goodies, thanks to phase2motortrend

hks hi power

cs tierods and rear subframe spacers

nismo motor and trans mounts and megan racing sway bar front and rear endlinks since they broke on me

removed steering column

old column bushing... so worn

new cs solid aluminum spacer. installing those metal things are good fun....
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
jon_mr2

and for the engine bay. finally finished bodyworking and wet sanded the whole bay and primered.

well, thats pretty much updated for now. yesterday they had a sale and welding thing at gaspro, so got a chance to try out some welders and ended up finally picking one up. its a miller 140 autoset... later on i think ill get the spool mate gun and argon so i can weld some aluminum. anyways, hope you guys enjoy
Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
jon_mr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdashy View Post
Looks pretty good for someone that has to have everything shipped to them.
yeah, shipping is quite costly I do what i can with the money i have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
looking good just get rid of those nasty cancer on your car and you'll be good. good luck with your build and have some fun while youre at it.
dont worry, it should be gone soon
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Beautiful!!!!!
Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
S13Leprechaun
Zilvia FREAK!

S13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant future
sweet build man... you gonna keep the ka stock oryou gonna boost it?
Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #10
jon_mr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13Leprechaun View Post
sweet build man... you gonna keep the ka stock oryou gonna boost it?
stock for now, just to get it running. plan is for it to be a daily driver
Old 03-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #11
Modrified
Zilvia Member

Modrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of light
nice build Jon.
Modrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #12
Behind Horizon
Zilvia Member

Behind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enough
Very nice, good work mate.
Behind Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #13
alindeman1989
Zilvia Addict

alindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to alindeman1989
dam keep up the good work. to bad the car had so much rust.

tofu man: Don't be cheap, and buy shitty high offset rims
alindeman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #14
vi3tdt2005
Zilvia Member

vi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to beholdvi3tdt2005 is a splendid one to behold

personally i think it looks better without the frabic on the doorpanel. also im curious on how you took off the frabic piece in the first place? wanting to do it to mine as well.
thanks,
vi3tdt2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
UsJdmTUner
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
UsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UsJdmTUner
nice project.. shouldve welded new metal sheet instead of fiberglass to keep the chasis rigid... what did you do on the frame rails? anyways apply some por150 over the rusty area and and seam seal them so they wont corrode in the future.. good luck
UsJdmTUner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #16
TravisSW
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
TravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfectionTravisSW is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TravisSW
Holy crap. That's going to be sexy when it's fully done.

I love you, +rep haha.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
ctm_motortrends
Zilvia FREAK!

ctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfection
What are you using to paint all the trim ? Looks really good.
ctm_motortrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
please don't lock this one! this guy seems to know what he's doing!! i think we'll all learn something from him.

what are your plans for the KA? high compressionnnn!!

+1 for a build thread with progress on the first post!

also, what is your impression of the ichibas? i'm torn between staying OEM, or just getting the ichiba set
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
jon_mr2

thanks guys

personally i think it looks better without the frabic on the doorpanel. also im curious on how you took off the frabic piece in the first place? wanting to do it to mine as well.
thanks,[/quote]

the fabric actually just peels right off pretty easily :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm_motortrends View Post
What are you using to paint all the trim ? Looks really good.
i picked up some spray can paint. plasti kote trim black:
http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote...duct=trimblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
please don't lock this one! this guy seems to know what he's doing!! i think we'll all learn something from him.

what are your plans for the KA? high compressionnnn!!

+1 for a build thread with progress on the first post!

also, what is your impression of the ichibas? i'm torn between staying OEM, or just getting the ichiba set
as for the KA, probably will be stock for a while, just trying to get the body back to original condition. and the ichibas, my friend actually had a set, and they seem to be holding up, and also the guys at phase2motortrend recommended them as well.

Last edited by jon_mr2; 03-27-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #20
jon_mr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsJdmTUner View Post
nice project.. shouldve welded new metal sheet instead of fiberglass to keep the chasis rigid... what did you do on the frame rails? anyways apply some por150 over the rusty area and and seam seal them so they wont corrode in the future.. good luck
yeah, i shouldve welded sheet metal, but at the time i did not have access to a welder i just wanted to get it done to finish up the bay, so fiberglass will have to do. as for the frame rail, i figured welding in peices of steel would be okay, but since pretty much the whole peice is rusted out, im just gona replace it with an oem rail and weld that in and the por150, i tried to find some, but only places i would be able to get it would be the internet, and they want a lot to ship due to it being a chemical and stuff. so i just picked up some rust inhibitor stuff from a local automotive shop, i hope it holds up...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
hijack3d
Zilvia Junkie

hijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond repute
Wow... what an improvement! How long did it actually take you to get this far? +1 for you.

Don't worry, it's legit: Review (Thanks Mike)
hijack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #22
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Awesome work so far man.

My wife's car is the same way, as a matter of fact, her cowl was so rusted, the piece came off where the driver's side wiper arm bolts to, in the middle of the rain when she was driving, so needless to say her car has been parked since then. (it's also parked because of an oil filter that will not come off, and has since been mangled when I tried every trick in the book to get it off)

Anyway, your project gives me lots of hope to restoring her car, as it has potential, we just lack the funds to get it to a reputable body shop to get it looking pretty again.

Keep up the good work man!
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #23
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tdt2005 View Post

thanks,
It just peals off. Use a heat gun to loosen the glue. Or do it on a hot day. Just take your time.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
wow. i doubted this thread when i saw the title. i thought it would just be another "i put on my sportmax wheels and sum stickers" build thread. and when i saw restoring i really didnt think all of this was being done. i dont think i would have the patience. gl with it.

what wheels are you planning to go with?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
UsJdmTUner
Zilvia Member

UsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond reputeUsJdmTUner has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to UsJdmTUner
you can check out rustbullet also..goodluck
UsJdmTUner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You're doin a great job. Take you time. No rushing. Keep it Clean. LOL
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
jackjack
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
jackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
damn thats awesome. keep up the kick ass work.
jackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #28
BRAIN_Z33
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
BRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfectionBRAIN_Z33 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
wow thats great.

+REP for having the patience for all the little details!
BRAIN_Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Coming along nicely! I think you should have welded in new metal for the wiper area, but you may not have had access to one.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #30
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
looking good! nice job on the interior pieces. looks oem

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote