Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
CrudeTech

Trader Rating: (0)
CrudeTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 How do I make the current wheel/tire combo fit the wheel wells without going broke

I'm at a loss here. Can't seem to make up my mind.

Here's the situation: I'm running XXR 527 9.75 wheels on a 5 lug conversion with no spacer. Tires are 235/40/17 and are hard to find and expensive, so I plan to upgrade to a wider, more common size. The fitment is a bit too tight for my liking. Keep it mind I live in Canada and I wan't to drive the car hard, not just to car shows.

Fenders have been slightly rolled and camber has been set up to fit the wheel wells.

I prefer function over form, so rear wheel camber is not really my thing.

What would guys do: roll the fenders, add overs or flares, raise the car. I'm open to all possible options.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Zachsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Zachsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Firstly - Resize your picture so we can see it right.

Secondly - If anything you should not go wider, and it's really going to depend on what you want. I'd recommend going somewhere in the 9" wide range, so you can go DOWN a tire size or two. If you're wanting wider wheels, you should definitely get over fenders. Check the wheel fitment thread and see what you like, but a 10 front isn't going to be "ideal" driving hard fitment unless you do other supporting mods.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
We have a small questions thread, works great, keeps from getting your ass chewed out making dumb threads

You go to car shows? Interesting

Good luck with you're tire decision
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
CrudeTech

Sorry about the full resolution. Picture has been resized.

I already have those 9.75 inch wheels on the car. I don't want to replace them unless they shatter or something. The car needs too much work to start replacing good parts.

I was thinking about going to 255/40/17 for my next set of tires. Which is why I'm unsure about the whole rear fender situation.

I see all the cool slammed stuff and the drift builds, but I really prefer the no nonsense approach to ground and tire clearance.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
CrudeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
We have a small questions thread, works great, keeps from getting your ass chewed out making dumb threads

You go to car shows? Interesting

Good luck with you're tire decision
That's cold man.

It's more of a fun driving experience. My focus is not on the looks. For real. I don't see how ugly it is while driving. And it's my ugly.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Zachsta
Zilvia Addict

While he is right about the small questions thread, don't mind the people telling you dumb shit, it's going to happen here. No one can just answer questions anymore, but you learn to love it when you spectate the forum.

So what you're saying is, you're trying to up the tire sizes only correct?

Get a set of stock s14 wheels or whatever 5x114.3 wheels you want, get the new tire sizes you want to try on your car, mount them on the XXR's, and test fit. Only way to really see what your trying to do first hand. You can also look at the Meaty tire fitment thread, to see what others have done. Your main issue is those weird sized XXR's, so make sure to use an offset calculator like willtheyfit.com, and compare peoples specs to yours.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
CrudeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsta View Post
[B][I]

So what you're saying is, you're trying to up the tire sizes only correct?
Not quite. I am looking for options to make the current 235s and the future 255s fit in the fender. I'm not a fan the current tire-chewing camber setup.

I prefer cost-effective and minimal solutions. That's why I mentioned raising the car a bit to give extra clearance.

Over fenders are a last resort.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Raise the car and fit 245 or 255s on there, see how the car feels and take it from there. Tires are expensive, yes but you can replace them, once you touch the fenders, the chassis is as good as dead.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Paint + kouki taillights. Worry about tires when yours wear out.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrudeTech View Post
That's cold man.

It's more of a fun driving experience. My focus is not on the looks. For real. I don't see how ugly it is while driving. And it's my ugly.
Hahah just had to give you some shit for a non-thread worthy post, I feel you man! My car is ugly in my eyes too

What I will say in all seriousness is don't get over fenders, it will add to the uglinesss haha The size of those wheels is kind of oddball, and with those tire sizes I'm not surprised you're having fitment issues. If the fender lips are rolled flat and there's nothing you can do to gain clearance without destroying your fenders or adding negative camber, get different tires or wheels/tires that suit your needs better. Obviously 225/40 is even less common and 215/40-45 is too small for what you're after. Just need to do some trial and error with different setups, plain and simple, good luck man
Old 12-06-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Can we start banning for threads like this good god.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:01 AM   #12
CrudeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Hahah just had to give you some shit for a non-thread worthy post, I feel you man! My car is ugly in my eyes too

What I will say in all seriousness is don't get over fenders, it will add to the uglinesss haha The size of those wheels is kind of oddball, and with those tire sizes I'm not surprised you're having fitment issues. If the fender lips are rolled flat and there's nothing you can do to gain clearance without destroying your fenders or adding negative camber, get different tires or wheels/tires that suit your needs better. Obviously 225/40 is even less common and 215/40-45 is too small for what you're after. Just need to do some trial and error with different setups, plain and simple, good luck man
So the only way to fix my problem is to jack up to coilovers to prevent the sidewall from rubbing.

BTW after maybe 1000 miles on the tires, the "MATRAC" wear indicator on the rears is gone. I swear I didn't even abuse them.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Since you live in Canada get some 16x7's with a +30 or so offset and put smaller stickier tires on it. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Paint + kouki taillights. Worry about tires when yours wear out.
t h i s good god

If they're expensive and you already have them that would be kind of a waste to just ditch them before they're worn or burnt up
Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Since you live in Canada get some 16x7's with a +30 or so offset and put smaller stickier tires on it. Problem solved.
this.

xxr's suck. get smaller, lighter wheels and stickier tires if you really are "all about function" as you claim
"function over form" - classic excuse for people too broke to make their car look decent
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #16
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
This, but 20-25mm offset. Depending on the tires you run (the old Dunlop FM901 was notorious for this), you can have minor rubbing with a 30.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
@ the tire comment, run a federal 225, they run wider which is practically a 235, or find out which other tires run wider and find that size in 225

Roll the fender all the way, dont pull it, that isunless you like the look (it says you slightly rolled it)

dump the fake wheels, on jap auction you can find some quality light weight advan, gramlights, works one piece wheels for practically as much as a brand new set of XXRs

wider wheel comment is practically a myth, you dont need wide wheels to run wide tires, you can fit a 245 without any problems on a 8.5-9.5j unless youre trying to go for the stretched look, which is not functional
Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
CrudeTech

Here's the deal: I bought the car with the XXRs and they're practically brand new. They're fine for now.

I thought about going to Cragar soft 8s, but they're really heavy, and I don't fell like adding unsprung weight to each corner. A whole new set of wheels and tires isn't in the budget as long as the wheels still hold air and I have extra 235s to go through. But from your valued input, it looks like my best long-term solution is narrower rims, correct?

I looked for different 235- and 255-section tires. The only tires from a reputable brand that I could find for an acceptable price was the Yokohama S-Drive. Any thought on those?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #19
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
Get different wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrudeTech
No.
Subject of thread: Help me make up my mind about the wheels

What the hell are you asking about in this thread?

Literally all you're willing to change is EVERYTHING but the wheels, which everyone is telling you are an improper application for EVERYTHING you're talking about.

If you were serious about performance, you would not be running a 9.75 with a 235.

You're against camber, want to run a wide wheel with a wide tire but want to stay stock body AND be low,

Your car is a contradiction.

Don't ask for opinions then be mad when they're not the opinions you want to hear.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #20
Zachsta
Zilvia Addict

Sell all the stuff you have... put it on stocks... save up and buy a good set of light wheels ( i mean c'mon, old gram lights, enkei rpf1's... all go for deals here or craigslist or whatever. ) and get GOOD TIRES THAT FIT.

Your "performance" vehicle will benefit much more on a GOOD set of tires (see federal or zestino if your budget oriented.) and actually get something that will benefit your vehicle if you really are so performance minded.

what suspension is your car on
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 AM   #21
CrudeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Justified rant...

I guess you're right. The title of the post is properly misleading.

My dilemma is more along the lines of: How do I make the current wheel/tire combo fit the wheel wells without going broke, as I need that money for one of those mortgage-things.

I totally get the "buy new wheels" argument. I'm not against new wheels and tires, but not right now, as I still have those 3 brand new 235 spare tires sitting in a shed. Can't see myself dropping that sort of cash of wheels instead of paint, considering the wheels are perfectly fine apart from the tight fitment, when there's hardly any paint on the car. And I sorta like the look of those cheap Chinese wheels of mine.

An eventual track-only set of wheels/tires would include tougher, cheaper, possibly smaller wheels. For some reason, I really like Cragar Soft 8s and the like. But those things are properly heavy...

And yes, the car is a contradiction at the moment. I'm trying to straighten things out.

The car is running on a set of ISR coilovers. I know they're not the best, but the car was built on a tight budget with a focus on getting the car back to a safe, reliable, drivable state by the previous owner. And I do have to say he succeeded.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #22
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I would try to ditch the XXR for a set of OEM R33 GTR wheels. They're affordable, fairly light weight for factory wheels, 9" wide and a slightly higher offset. This will allow you to fit some decent tire when you are ready to as well.

I don't know what XXRs cost, but R33 wheels can go for $6-800 for a set. Try to hustle a bit and sell what you have to get something that is not only nicer but will also allow you to accomplish what you're trying to do here. Run your current tires on the R33 wheels until you can afford something nicer.

From the photo you posted I'm not even sure how it is rubbing. It doesn't look overly aggressive or anything like that, but you didn't mention the offset of your wheels. It's hard to tell with little info to go on, but it seems like you could roll the fender lip flat and add a super small amount of camber (probably -2ยบ or less, which would probably be beneficial for the type of driving you want to do anyway) and solve your rubbing issue.

Research is your friend. Sadly, you can't accomplish your goals with building a car without properly understanding what you are trying to do and spending some money to do it. There's not really any way around it. Good luck!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #23
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Step 1: Don't be a pussy.

Roll and pull. I'm 10.5 with a 235/40 on a stock body s13.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #24
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I don't know what XXRs cost, but R33 wheels can go for $6-800 for a set.
hahah this aint 2005, r33 gtr wheels cost more than that nowadays damonius driftmaximus
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Get nankangs. Cheap tires, hold up fine for 50$ per tire.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #26
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
there is a wheel fitment question thread. just sayin
Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #27
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:

I guess you're right. The title of the post is properly misleading.

My dilemma is more along the lines of: How do I make the current wheel/tire combo fit the wheel wells without going broke, as I need that money for one of those mortgage-things.

I totally get the "buy new wheels" argument. I'm not against new wheels and tires, but not right now, as I still have those 3 brand new 235 spare tires sitting in a shed. Can't see myself dropping that sort of cash of wheels instead of paint, considering the wheels are perfectly fine apart from the tight fitment, when there's hardly any paint on the car. And I sorta like the look of those cheap Chinese wheels of mine.

An eventual track-only set of wheels/tires would include tougher, cheaper, possibly smaller wheels. For some reason, I really like Cragar Soft 8s and the like. But those things are properly heavy...

And yes, the car is a contradiction at the moment. I'm trying to straighten things out.

The car is running on a set of ISR coilovers. I know they're not the best, but the car was built on a tight budget with a focus on getting the car back to a safe, reliable, drivable state by the previous owner. And I do have to say he succeeded.
Since you're not Mr.Hubeny I'll give you a pass even though you're from The Great White North. You're putting the cart before the horse. You bought everything on the cheap and you're trying to make a track/show car? (asking because I'm a little confused.)

I'm trying to see a solution but until you know what you want it's going to be hard. Track car: paint last. If you 'like your Chinese wheels' then try to trade them for a smaller sizing...or sell them and buy some brand new. They're cheap for a reason. I''id never tell someone to buy fake, shitty wheels but if you're too impatient to at least buy some OEM R33 wheels there's not much else you can do.

Adding overs or flares is going to cost more than buying a nice set of wheels, if done properly. You should ALWAYS roll your fenders first.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #28
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
\

Dude if you cant afford a different pair of rear tires that fit, or to by a different set of rep wheels that fit and sell yours... This is probably not the right time for you to be putting together a car.

Seriously if its that big of an issue sell your reps, and pick up new ones that fit. Like, $150 difference.

If $150 breaks the bank for you, then I don't know what to tell you.

When I was a teenager and had next to no money, I occasionally bought the wrong parts I just had to drive around with my mistakes until I could afford to fix it. Lesson learned, measure twice.

Can we geta up in this B?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #29
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Everyone in here for the most part was civil. Next time go to the wheel fitment questions thread or something.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
Closed Thread