Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
s14 Odometer signal? Where does it come from?

Hey guys,

Trying to get my cluster working with my swap and dakota digital. Fuel is functioning, temp not (but have aftermarket anyways) and rpm and speedo work (speedo needs HP tuners calibration to soothe out bugs). I have not seen my odometer move at all, does anyone know how the signal gets sent to the odometer? I cant find anything in the FSM but Im reading off and on that its the speedo that converts the signal and tells the odometer to turn?

Can anyone please confirm?

Thank you
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Comes from the speedo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Comes from the speedo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for confirming. I still have no movement, however thats because its not wired directly, the speedo signal is going from the GM ecm to the dakota digital and then to the gauge cluster. Im wondering if thats something to do with the dakota or if It will work once its calibrated properly. Any guys on here using DD and have a working ODO?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
cclark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
cclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same speedo situation
Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Not yet, I think I need to get the calibration on HP tuners then it’ll work. I only have fuel and tach right now on stock cluster
Old 03-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The normal signal path is: speed sensor -> gauge cluster speedo, then gauge cluster -> ECU. The ECU gets its speed signal from the cluster stock.

I'm not familiar with your setup, I guess it might depend on which wire you used into the cluster since there's technically 2 "speed" wires. (One FROM speed sensor, and one TO ecu)
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
The normal signal path is: speed sensor -> gauge cluster speedo, then gauge cluster -> ECU. The ECU gets its speed signal from the cluster stock.

I'm not familiar with your setup, I guess it might depend on which wire you used into the cluster since there's technically 2 "speed" wires. (One FROM speed sensor, and one TO ecu)
Sorry to bump this back up, but does anyone know which of the two wires is the input I need to be supplied from the new motor?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Sorry to bump this back up, but does anyone know which of the two wires is the input I need to be supplied from the new motor?
Does a wiring diagram help? The Red and Red/Yellow wires go to the speed sensor (or Dakota digital box). The Yellow/Green wire goes to the ECU.

This is from the 97 FSM, so specific pins and wire color may differ for other years.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote