Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
vlrb30

Trader Rating: (0)
vlrb30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Cracked Dash Advice.

Hi there. before anyone says, i have searched forums already lots of stuff on dashboards but not what I'm after.

Anyway I have a pretty mint s14, and late last year i noticed a tiny tiny crack on my dash board probably around 5mm long. Since then ive used wipes on the vinyl, I know some people say they are bad, and I have been using a sun shield and a dash rug.

This has worked well and the crack has grown no further, however dash rug etc are a hassle and dont look great, but I am scared if the crack grows it will ruin my interior. It is not noticeable at all at the moment, dash looks mint, but it is in a very central location so if the crack runs will look terrible.

I was wondering what the best way to stop crack growth here would be. I looked online and people recommend burning holes in the ends of the cracks to reduce point stress, but as my crack is small and unnoticeable this might make it alot more noticable and ugly. What I was thinking was a little bit of super glue in the crack to seal it, but i'm worried about putting on too much and again making it very obvious or having a big lump there.

So I'm not keen to rip out the dash, hassle, or recover, expensive and mine still looks great. But I am looking to stop this crack ruining it without ruining it myself in the process. Has anyone tried either of these methods, or a different method, or what advice do you guys have?

Cheers.

Oh and if this has been asked and covered before, please attach a link.
vlrb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
themattcole

themattcole is an unknown quantity at this point
New here (never mind the join date, been interested in S chassis for a long time), not a guru by any means but while looking into fixing my GF's s14 dash crack I came across this:

http://www.heavythrottle.com/2013/12...overlay-cover/

http://www.frsport.com/Coverlay-10-5..._p_279207.html

If you go this route let me know what you think! I may be purchasing one soon as well.
themattcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
vlrb30

hey cheers for that. My dashboard has no airbag, and is RHD so not really suitable. For that same reason dash rugs aren't really made suitable, but I got my mother to make one and have been using a sun shade. Crack hasnt grown at all over the last year but dreading the day it turns into what my old s14 dash looked like.

I think this is abit of an expensive and drastic solution, was more looking if anyone had techniques to stop the crack propogation and sort of fix the crack as it is still so small and dash is still in great shape otherwise.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
vlrb30

But if you're in the US i'm sure this wouldnt be a bad way to go, I would be keen to see the results if you decide to do this.
Would be expensive for me in NZ, as would have to be made for RHD no airbag, and those are LHD with airbag, and I imagine freight on an object that shape wont come cheap.