Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #31
afiser
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
afiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWZenki View Post
That sucks. I was about to try it myself but i was hoping it would be easier. Thanks for the info.

About the resistor wiring. Let me try to make this simple.

You have a Positive lead (wires coming off the LED bulb) and a Negative Lead.
1)The Proper Resistor is placed between your power source and the Positive Lead on the LED bulb.
2)The Negative Lead is connected to your Negative connection (opposite post from resistor).
3)If no resistor is used they will burn out very quickly.

4)Below are some rough examples of LEDs with resistors. You should always solder your connections for the best results.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PICS!

exactly what i wanted. thanks again.

one question tho, it seems so simple that im not sure about it. could you put the resistor on the 12v wiring going TO the button out side of the actual button? i know the fsm shows which wires are positive and which ones are negative going to the button. im just not 100% sure.
afiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
DFWZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-via View Post
DFWZenki

For your cluster, did you replace any of the indication lights? Like the turn signals/battery warning/oil light/etc? What kind of LEDs would replace those?

And for the Hazard/Defrost lights, did you use a 330 ohm resistor for you 3mm leds?

Also, I heard that you couldn't replace the light behind the gas gauge, because it always stays on due to current flow, or something to that effect
In my cluster, I only replaced the main 3 bulbs across the middle with the White 5 LED bulbs. Those will illuminate the whole face of the cluster. The rest of the bulbs along the bottom and such(check engine,turn signals....), these i left as the stock twist lock clear bulbs. Im not sure right now what the LED replacement would be. Pic for refrence:

For my 3mm White LEDs i used a 470ohm (4.7k-Ohm) resistor with each one. Part #271-1124 at Radio Shack.

For the Cluster I used the three 5-White LED bulbs.

For the Dimmer, Driver Power Window button, Cruise Control, and Defog switches i used the 3mm LED bulbs with the 470 ohm resistor.

For the Hazard switch i replaced it with the Radio Shack bulb:
LED bulbs, #272-1092 at Radioshack.

Not sure about the Fuel Gauge light thing. Its illuminated by the three main bulbs when you turn your lights on. At least on a Zenki S14 it is.

Any more questions let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiser View Post
one question tho, it seems so simple that im not sure about it. could you put the resistor on the 12v wiring going TO the button out side of the actual button? i know the fsm shows which wires are positive and which ones are negative going to the button. im just not 100% sure.
Funny you should ask. I thought about doing this myself but i was afraid it would mess up the switch signal or something, I dont know, So i just went with what I know and put the resistor at the bulb. Maybe ill try that with some spare parts sometime.
DFWZenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
afiser
Leaky Injector

when i get my stuff ill test it out and see. plan on doing this soon. from what i saw in the hazard button tho, only two of the pins in the button actually go to the light itself (+ and - is my guess) the rest are for the function of the switch i believe and has nothing to do with the illumination of the bulb. so it should probably work.

has anyone succesfully changed the bulb in the auto window switch? i looked at it today and it seems the only way to get to the 3mm bulb would be to desolder .
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #34
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiser View Post
when i get my stuff ill test it out and see. plan on doing this soon. from what i saw in the hazard button tho, only two of the pins in the button actually go to the light itself (+ and - is my guess) the rest are for the function of the switch i believe and has nothing to do with the illumination of the bulb. so it should probably work.

has anyone succesfully changed the bulb in the auto window switch? i looked at it today and it seems the only way to get to the 3mm bulb would be to desolder .
Hard to see in the pic. But i used a 3mm White LED bulb and a 470ohm resistor in the original bulb housing.
This was a test run to make sure i had it set up right. It was right.
In the pic it looks like the resistor wiring is touching the board. But its just the angle of the pic. Its actually "floating" above it.

Top Side of Switch:

Bottom Side:

Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #35
afiser
Leaky Injector

ahh, i see. i couldn't get the white cover off without seemingly breaking the entire switch. i'll try again with more patience this time lol.

thanks again man.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #36
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Bulbs came today

Before

After

Big improvement IMO. The clock bulb looks exactly the same as the old one... still looks better than stock.

Big thanks to DFWZenki

Off topic but has anybody tried white LED bulbs in their corner lights?

I'm thinking of trying these out in warm white
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F115 6-x18-T.htm

or these

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...15x-x12x19.htm

Last edited by az_240; 02-18-2010 at 11:09 PM..
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #37
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Bulbs came today

Big improvement IMO. The clock bulb looks exactly the same as the old one... still looks better than stock.

Big thanks to DFWZenki

Off topic but has anybody tried white LED bulbs in their corner lights?

I'm thinking of trying these out in warm white
18 High Power SMD LED 1156/1157 Tower Bulb Specifications

or these

12-LED / 19-LED / 30-LED 1156/1157 Bulbs Specifications
Looking good! Glad I could help.
Is there still a little blue to the cluster though? Mine does a little.

By corner lights do you mean the turn signals under the headlights in the bumper? Or the small amber lights on the side?
Ive never tried them. Thought about using the 1156 White LEDs for my reverse lights to see if they are any brighter.
Let me know if you try em out. And ill let you know if i do.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #38
Dazzla
Zilvia Member

Dazzla is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the white bulbs and there more like blue. Still look better then the stock ones though.
Dazzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #39
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWZenki View Post
Looking good! Glad I could help.
Is there still a little blue to the cluster though? Mine does a little.

By corner lights do you mean the turn signals under the headlights in the bumper? Or the small amber lights on the side?
Ive never tried them. Thought about using the 1156 White LEDs for my reverse lights to see if they are any brighter.
Let me know if you try em out. And ill let you know if i do.

There is a very slight hint of blue but I do not mind.

I mean the small amber lights on the sides of the headlights... I think they are actually 194 wedge style bulbs. The stock yellow/clear bulb throws the nice kouki headlights off.
Was thinking about getting these
http://www.vertex-usa.com/images/S14kCORNERpromo.jpg
with either a white led bulb to match my headlights or amber led. I'll post pics if I end up getting them.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #40
3ps14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
3ps14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can someone tell me what the clock light bulb application is?
3ps14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #41
az_240
Post Whore!

As mentioned earlier in the thread it is a #74 bulb.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #42
3ps14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
3ps14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Shmanks, must've skimmed through it...
3ps14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #43
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
There is a very slight hint of blue but I do not mind.

I mean the small amber lights on the sides of the headlights... I think they are actually 194 wedge style bulbs. The stock yellow/clear bulb throws the nice kouki headlights off.
Was thinking about getting these
http://www.vertex-usa.com/images/S14kCORNERpromo.jpg
with either a white led bulb to match my headlights or amber led. I'll post pics if I end up getting them.
I am running 8000K HIDs. Im running "Cool White" LEDs (194 wedge) in the corners. I tried the "white" LEDs and it looked a little weird to me since the 8000k HIDs have a blue tint and the 194's were white.
If your running something like "stock", or 4300k HIDs it would probably look better.
I also thought about the Amber LEDs. Ive never seen them in anything. Might look pretty cool.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #44
az_240
Post Whore!

Did you go with the same bulb as what is in our clusters or did you get the taller bulb with more LEDs? My headlights are about as white as it gets so that "white" bulb should work perfect. I'll probably get a pair of amber bulbs as well to try it out.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #45
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Try clear corners for some other led corner options.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #46
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
I posted a litlte how to for my hvac a while ago:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/177697...-light-up.html

also my cluster looks like this:

but I did that a long time ago with some bulbs I picked up in autobacs last time I was in japan, lol

I put a piece of red see thru vinyl on the light diffuser thing for the clock to make that red, using the oem bulb. don't put vinyl on the bulb itself... it melts! ask me how I know... lol

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #47
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
has anyone replaced their clock bulb from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories

I would like to know if the 74-xHP or the 74-x works in the cluster, or if one is too long
Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #48
az_240
Post Whore!

I did in my pic above... that is the 74-x bulb... it's too blue and I want a white one. Get the 74-xHP in white and post up a pic of what it looks like
Old 02-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #49
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
when you use leds you lose dimmer function right?

Sometimes at night on long trips i turn the dimmer down way low...lol
Old 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #50
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post

yeah my dimmer doesn't work quite so well anymore, but I don't really use the 240 for long trips anymore, I have my DD for that...

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #51
240sxvaj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
240sxvaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
im too broke to afford LED's. someone wanna send me some for free? lol!
240sxvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #52
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:

no, your dimmer should work as normal. mine works fine without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxvaj View Post
im too broke to afford LED's. someone wanna send me some for free? lol!
really? lol LED's are less than 1 dollar each.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #53
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I did in my pic above... that is the 74-x bulb... it's too blue and I want a white one. Get the 74-xHP in white and post up a pic of what it looks like
already ordered
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #54
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:

My dimmer works great.... those LEDs I have are kinda bright so I turn it down sometimes.

And yeah LEDs are cheaaaap

I wonder what clock bulb this guy used>>>>
Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #55
initial_jc
Zilvia Junkie

initial_jc is an unknown quantity at this point
I want some ambers in my corners, something like this
ClearCorners.Com [ nissan ] 95-98 S14 240SX | Dual LED Front Corner Lights (97-98)

I want to make them instead of buy them
initial_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #56
icedsole
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
icedsole is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
AZ, you cluster looks nice! just a nice crisp white, props.

also i cant really tell but do you have a black base model cluster, or SE white?
icedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
az_240
Post Whore!

Thanks. I have the black base cluster.

They have replacement twist LED bulbs for the climate control for anyone interested. The old method was to solder in LEDs with a resistor which was a PITA.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs%2FNEO.htm
They are the NEO3 bulbs.

They will probably still leave hotspots since the stock setup with the light pipe does not work very well. I plan on eventually wiring up a climate control with an LED in each button.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #58
240sxvaj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
240sxvaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
really? lol LED's are less than 1 dollar each.
Thats how broke i am lol! im broker than broke back mountain LMFAO!

$1? i seen most go for over $5 a piece. show me the site besides autozone lol!
240sxvaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #59
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxvaj View Post
Thats how broke i am lol! im broker than broke back mountain LMFAO!

$1? i seen most go for over $5 a piece. show me the site besides autozone lol!
it's been referenced many times. have you looked through this thread?

SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #60
S14Serge
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
S14Serge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This has been an amazing thread! Alot of the simple questions I had about switching my cluster bulbs have been answered! Thanks guys