Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
NissanRWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA Got into a front end accident with my s14. Fix it? Tube chassis?

I got into an accident last night. I don't know the extent of the damage but from what I saw: the apron is damaged, core support probably too since my radiator was leaking a bit. My driver fender seemed misaligned with the A pillar. Hopefully the shock towers are fine.

Anyway, I don't wanna just write it off so I wanna see what my options are. I have another daily driver luckily so I need to decide what to do next.

Should I fix it with the frame straightener and all that shit? Or should I go tube chassis?

I have a coworker who grew up with Matt Fields and was all up in the drifting scene with him so I'll be hitting him up to help me find a shop to tube it. But should I?

I want to go tube because I had always considered it anyway and it'll make the car stiffer and better than before. But I'm worried about designing it with the crumple zones and doing it right.

Would it be weaker in a way? Should I just fix the apron and move on? What'll be more expensive? Will the car look like factory with gaps and all if I go tube chassis?

Pros? Cons? Help me Zilvia I just wanna know if this accident provided me with the opportunity to make my car better than before and better than stock. Pretty fucking bummed.

Only took one picture atm because I was too bummed. The driver side fender was pushed back very slightly. Strut towers seemed fine from what I saw but I'm worried about the driver side tower

PS If anyone has a zenki or kouki front end complete, hit me up. Anywhere in socal is fine, even higher up I'll drive for it. 714-858-2470
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1290005379507601079.jpg (482.3 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by NissanRWD; 01-12-2016 at 11:46 PM..
NissanRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One is forsale now in Palm springs
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=603443
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

[QUOTE=Gingersmurf;6002749]One is forsale now in Palm springs

He's sold everything except the hood but thank you
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
How about you post some pictures so people can give you an accurate suggestion.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
How about you post some pictures so people can give you an accurate suggestion.
Fsho. I only have one since I wasn'tin the right state of mind to take more and my car is in a yard right now.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Pros: none, except if you'd need tubing the arches to get more lock.

Cons: no crumple zone, meaning on the next hit the rest of the car and your body will take all the energy (so that's injury/death for you or the poor guy you just ran over/hit), expensive, lots of fab work involved, won't be lighter, and of course forbidden on the road.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was in a similar situation as you. I don't know what the prices of doing all that tube frame shit is around you but for me I was quotes 1000-2000 and it depended on a lot of factors. First thing I would suggest for you to do is to pop the hood and take some pictures then people can tell you more.

You will need a new front end regardless of what you do.
You can take it to a frame shop, have them check the dimensions and straighten it
from there
-get it tube framed which is overkill unless you plan on doing a lot of drifting and road racing. You SHOULD look into the proper way to building a road racing car before speaking with a fabricator (who is gonna sell you the idea of making a tube frame front because he wants money DUH)
-just replaced whatever you need to which will be cheaper.

I do have a complete JDM zenki front end. Rad support, radiator, lights all the panels and misc stuff. Im on the east coast though so I doubt you will want to pay for pallet shipping for all the stuff.
I think bardabe is closer to you and has a zenki front end too

Whoever you buy it from, you should just fix the rad support and get new panels. I dont know the prices off hand but it shouldnt cost more than 2 grand painted and all. My frame straightening cost me $350 and it looked pretty good but my ocd tendencies made me get a new frame piece welded in with reinforcements.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
zenkicpe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
zenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Take your chassis measurements that are in the FSM, that will let you know if you are out of square. It doesnt look TOOOO BAD to me, but looks can be decieving. Try to post a pic with the hood up...
zenkicpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
harrypotter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
harrypotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanRWD View Post
I got into an accident last night. I don't know the extent of the damage but from what I saw: the apron is damaged, core support probably too since my radiator was leaking a bit. My driver fender seemed misaligned with the A pillar. Hopefully the shock towers are fine.

Until you find this out you are just wasting time.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Why did you crash into the other car?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
plenty of shells still. Its only 2016. If it was 2026 I suspect there might be a shortage... (start saving away those clean title shells)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote