Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
dogdrinkincoffee
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
dogdrinkincoffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Need help with Connecting rod bearings

I got minor rod knock and i wanted to change my connecting rod bearings first before anything and i dont know what size to get.
12111-53F00 0294 KA24DE STD GRADE 0
12111-53F01 0294 KA24DE STD GRADE 1
12111-53F02 0294 Ka24DE STD GRADE 2

what the hell is the difference between grade 0,1,2

Only my 2nd rod knocks and it only knocks at like 2.1k -2.3k rpm.
dogdrinkincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
The purpose of graded bearings is that when nissan makes a nice new stock crank. There are some variences in the making of it. You can then "grade" these bearings. When your connecting rod is hitting your crankshaft. Those new journals arn't the same size as they were any more. If your attempting to drop the pan and just replace the #2 rod bearing and expect a fix, then you will probably be back in there in a year or less.

get standard from your local auto part store.

have you considered some type of timing chain guide. that's quite a narrow range for a rod knock.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
dogdrinkincoffee
Leaky Injector

well pretty much i was going to drop the pan and replace the bearing as a cheap fix until i have money for a swap. At the moment i dont want my engine to completely die because it happened to my friend so i was wondering in the situation i am in what grade bearing should i get.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You'd have to get it mic'd. I doubt you have the correct tools.

Also, if you do have rod knock, your life could suck and be beyond the specs of the 3 grades by Nissan
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdrinkincoffee View Post
well pretty much i was going to drop the pan and replace the bearing as a cheap fix until i have money for a swap. At the moment i dont want my engine to completely die because it happened to my friend so i was wondering in the situation i am in what grade bearing should i get.
Yeah I figured that's what you were gonna do.

That's the cheapest durka durka fix as any bearing particles will have traveled through the system and have damaged other bearings.

Buy STD clevite bearings from your local parts store. They should be like $40. Replace all 4 rod bearings while your in there. Clean everything out good. Put in a heavier weight oil and don't beat on it. Should be good for a while.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
dogdrinkincoffee
Leaky Injector

thank you so much