Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Intermittent Vibration Help

Technical question for an intermittent problem, I'm a bit stumped. After driving on the interstate a while, the car starts shaking and steering wheel will vibrate like a tire is out of balance. It's not tires because it would be constant. Also while this is going on, I've noticed the brakes are hard, like tapping them is like slamming the brakes, pretty much an on/off switch. While cold, they feel fine, and not every time either. Yesterday going to work was crazy, coming home was fine.

Front suspension has been replaced, including shocks, outer tie rods and ball joints. I've triple checked lug nuts. I'm suspecting inner tie rods, some bushings, or something is up with the brakes. This is an S14 with Z32 brakes all around.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had tie rods do that. And it would be more noticeable at interstate speeds. Under 50 I couldn't feel it.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
alignment, worn ball joints, tie rods bushings, tires rotting internally...many things could be goin on...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
So it sounds like you've done just about everything with exception to your bearings.

Have you had the front end in the air to check them?
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
S14AZ

S14AZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Check your brake lines sounds like you have a line that has a pinch.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
S14AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
S14AZ

Also were the z32 calipers new or used?
Did you change out the master cylinder to z32?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #7
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14AZ View Post
Also were the z32 calipers new or used?
Did you change out the master cylinder to z32?
Used. I rebuilt them before installing about 3.5 years ago. But I did have to rebuild the front right this winter because it seemed to be frozen (pulling and rotor radiating serious heat after a short drive). Rotors don't seem warped because it doesn't vibrate while braking all the time. Shaking is only at highway speeds, and only sometimes. Entirely possible I have to rebuild the other side.

Still have stock S14 15/16 master cylinder. Have a brand new 1" Z32 MC, just haven't installed it in the 3 years it's been sitting in my garage, lol.

I hate intermittent issues.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
From my understanding about the z32 brakes, you need to change out the BMC since you're running all 4. Stock MC is fine if you had front z32 only; if the car was changed from auto to manual, the auto brake booster will make your brakes very sensitive compared to 5-speed factory (auto brake booster is larger than manual).

I understand you said that tires cannot be an issue but if your wheel is not balanced, this will also cause your wheel to shake at "certain" speeds.

Here's the info about the brake booster/Master cylinder I am referring to:

http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#MC (old)
http://importnut.net/the-definitive-...cylinder-swap/ (New Version)

Lastly, inner tie rods fail and in order for you check is it jack up your car, remove the other tie rod from the knuckle and see if there's play when you push/pull the tie rod (best way is to get the steering to lock if you're working by yourself).
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
S14AZ

I wonder if the calipers might be sticking......

Old 07-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
[QUOTE=1on1;6215235]From my understanding about the z32 brakes, you need to change out the BMC since you're running all 4. Stock MC is fine if you had front z32 only; if the car was changed from auto to manual, the auto brake booster will make your brakes very sensitive compared to 5-speed factory (auto brake booster is larger than manual).

QUOTE]

you don't HAVE to change to z32 master, but its an improvement, since the z32 master is sized for those calipers. Running a 240 master with z32 calipers works just fine, but the pedal feel is better with z32 master.

OP, does your car have ABS? is the ABS light on?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
you don't HAVE to change to z32 master, but its an improvement, since the z32 master is sized for those calipers. Running a 240 master with z32 calipers works just fine, but the pedal feel is better with z32 master.

No ABS currently. Was an auto to manual conversion. Pedal feels okay normally.

I'll inspect brake lines and try to check for play in the tie rods tonight. Also check for uneven pad wear in case brakes are messed up.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
check all tires for feathering or signs of flat spots or tread separation or bubble in the sidewall

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
1on1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all1on1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post

Ahh ok, I must've read it wrong but thanks for correcting me.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
My car shook like hell 40-45 mph and only in that speed range. got my front tires balanced and that was the end of it.

id highly recommend checking your wheel bearings and chassis components for play. this is likely and alignment/tire balancing issue