Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
gusiek11

Trader Rating: (0)
gusiek11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine(ka24de) is overheating

My engine started to overheat, the overflow tank smelled a little bit like gas and bubbles were coming out so I figured it would be a head gasket. So I went on and replaced it. After replacing it no more gas smell or bubbles but engine still over heats. Bought a water pump, clutch fan, thermostat and replaced them. But the engine still overheats. Last owner changed the radiator because it looks new so i dont think its the radiator or heater core because heat works. Anything else that would cause a engine to overheat?
gusiek11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
dru721
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dru721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusiek11 View Post
My engine started to overheat, the overflow tank smelled a little bit like gas and bubbles were coming out so I figured it would be a head gasket. So I went on and replaced it. After replacing it no more gas smell or bubbles but engine still over heats. Bought a water pump, clutch fan, thermostat and replaced them. But the engine still overheats. Last owner changed the radiator because it looks new so i dont think its the radiator or heater core because heat works. Anything else that would cause a engine to overheat?
Maybe air in system?
dru721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Woodz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Woodz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusiek11 View Post
could be air in the system, check coolant, ka's are known to trap air. while your checking your coolant check for small flakes of metal.thats what happened to me and the metal flakes turned out to be pieces were from the water pump
Woodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Keep bleeding or do yourself a favor and get a swirl tank, itl make your life much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
zach3904

zach3904 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had my ka-t overheating from pushing coolant out of the overflow. Also thought it was a head gasket, but issue still remained after replacing it. The real cause was the mishimoto radiator cap that came with the radiator. They're notoriously shitty. Threw on a blitz cap and it's been happy ever since.
zach3904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
did you check the flatness of the cylinderhead when you changed the gasket? If you've overheated in the past there is a good chance its warped now, A replacement headgasket cant seal a warped head.

Does the engine push all your coolant out? can you see a smoke coming off your coolant
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
need a nice dual core radiator to boot...could be a lot of different areas to check...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
Suicunes

Suicunes is an unknown quantity at this point
Had this same problem last year. Ended up being the shit radiator cap I had on the DNA Motoring Radiator or whatever it is. HKS Cap on it, haven't had a problem since. Would run a Nismo Thermo if funds allowed, but since everything is new, no point in changing one.

Bleeding should be, jack up front of car (so it is highest point) fill up radiator with the bleeder screw open until a stream of coolant flows out. Put the bleeder bolt back in. Run the motor with the radiator cap open and like a 2 liter bottle of soda in the filler neck with a few runs of electrical tape around it. Fill it until it's like a quarter full. Run the motor for like 15 minutes and burp the system. Squeeze the hoses a few times if necessary. You may have to do it 2 or 3 times but you'll get it.

KA's trap so much air, so annoying to bleed but it can be done.
Suicunes is offline   Reply With Quote