Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-23-2001, 02:27 AM   #1
LegendZ28

Trader Rating: (0)
LegendZ28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm interested in what the benefits of the SR swap over just modding the KA swap are. I have a few other questions to:
1) How many horses does the SR put out stock?
2) How much is involved in the swap?
3) About how much would the swap be from a decent shop.
4) If someone kept the KA, what would they need besides the kit to run 300hp at the wheels RELIABLY. (I'm all about reliable power, not crazy figures that require high maitence to upkeep.)
5) Is it cheaper/more cost effective/more reliable to do the swap or would modding the KA be better.

I notice some people are more interested in the SR swap but I can't put my finger on why besides the fact that the SR is turbo and therefore already has the internal mods nessasary for boost. Which brings me to my last question

How much boost/hp can you run on the SR stock internals.

Thanks
LegendZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2001, 03:08 AM   #2
misnomer
Nissanaholic!

misnomer has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to misnomer
1) There are a couple of SR engines, ranging from about 210 to 250 hp
2) Uh. . .
3) Most figures I see are about 5k, give or take a grand
4) Depeds on your car. From what i've heard the s13 can take up to 7 PSI, the s14 up to 11 or 12ish (somebody verify/absolutely demolish these numbers for me). West is running #### near 300hp at the wheels, check his car out in the Rides section.
5) Depends on how quick you want to go. A KA can be turboed and decently outfitted for about $4k

Dunno much else about the SR. It seems to be more popular because it's an easier one shot setup.
misnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:15 AM   #3
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
1) 205 for the s-13 to 250 for the s-15.
2) A LOT!  I have seen shops charge $1300, and at $50/hr, thats like 26 hours... but that seems off.  A turbo only takes 15 hrs.
3) $1300 for labor.  Add in a $2300 s-13 redtop, and almost $2k in parts, as in FMIC, down pipe, gauges, fluids, fuel pump, ect...
4) Ask West on this one... but.. forged pistons, ignition, intake, ECU, feul injectors, exhaust, BOV, turbo timer (MUST), possibly stand-alone computer.
5) IMHO, the costs are about the same.  The KA is *slightly* cheaper.  Duy, for 6k is running 10's with a KA.  And for 6K, you can't get a s-15 installed, but you can get a s-13 205hp installed.  The reason I said the same costs is because you have to rebuild the KA to handle boost, and that is expensive.  You could get cheaper prices on motors, and that will knock down the SR price.  But... if you put $6k into a SR motor, it would fly too.  Ka's are only cheaper becuase you have the block in front of you.
-Jeff
Jeff240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 11:35 PM   #4
kitoro
Zilvia Member

kitoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to kitoro
so.. what does this all have to do w/ beating a dead horse. ^.^

IMHO, go for the SR...
seeing that I'm in Canada, rarely anyone drives a Nissan, and SRs are rare.. but i guess it's opposite in the USA?.. if you looking for power, go for SR; if you looking for torque, go for KA

that's what most ppl said, and that's what i'll just repeat. ^.^
kitoro is offline   Reply With Quote