Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
Definitive GT-R brake answers?

I've been digging around FA and Zilvia for info on Skyline GT-R Brembo brake systems. I am speaking as an S14 owner.

The R32 GT-R V-Spec, R33 GT-R, R34 GT-R, G35 Sport and 350Z Track all come with Brembos.

What I've found:

-All the setups use a 324x30mm brake rotor.

-R34 GT-R, 350Z Track and G35 Sport are identical. Calipers, rotors, and all hardware. The fronts will fit if you enlarge the mounting holes; the rears require custom brackets and work.

-The R33 is the same pad/rotor as above; the caliper, however, has the proper holes for mounting on an S-chassis. Front and rear calipers are a direct fit.

-One GTR owner I'm talking to says the rotors for the R32 V-Spec setup are different, but can't pin down how. He is unsure. Pads fit, and I'm assuming the caliper is the same.

What I need:
-What brake lines do I use? Presumably I just need 300ZX conversion lines to get a standard fitting instead of the "banjo" type that the 240sx stock brakes use.

-What e-brake assembly do I use? Can I use a 300ZX drum (aren't they all the same as the skyline ones?)?

-Are R32 GT-R Vspec rears the same as R33 GTR rear calipers? In other words, do they bolt right up as well?

-For the rear Z32 ebrake, S14 owners use R33 GT-S (non GTR) lines (or Yanack ones, which are the same thing). For S13, use modded Z32 lines. If I need a skyline e-brake assembly, do I (s14) still use the R33 lines?
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
V35/Z33 Brembos are the same, but are not the same as BNR34 Brembos.
The calipers from BNR34 are physically larger.
(I have personally confirmed this).
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Can you tell me anything about the BNR34 GTR Vspec setup?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R34 and 350z/G35 are not exactly the same. Caliper is slightly different, although functionally they are the same. Rotors are also not the same. The offset is different. R34 vspec....same as any other gt-r. The only thing that changed was the rear. Early models used a 300mm rotors in the back while newer models used a 322mm rotor in the rear. The 322mm rear brake setup is sometimes referred to as "N1 spec".
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
95zilvia
Nissanaholic!

95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light95zilvia is a glorious beacon of light
Pretty sure you just use the lines that change the brake line fittings from banjo fittings to inverted flares, so yes, z32 conversion lines will work.
95zilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
D1champ
Zilvia Junkie

D1champ is on the path to ruinD1champ is on the path to ruin
This might sound stupid but here goes, the Sentra SE-R spec-V has a brembo 4-piston brake package as an option...Would it be safe to assume it is the same as the 350Z, G35, etc?
D1champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
nlzmo400r
Zilvia FREAK!

nlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nicenlzmo400r is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to nlzmo400r
ive heard the specV brembos (usdm sentra) are different calipers than all of the above mentioned. These brembos are supposedly used on the dc5 type R integra (jdm)

[email protected] - gt32 .6bar
nlzmo400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
mrmephistopheles

SE-R SpecV Brembos are COMPLETELY different from all other chassis' brakes.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #9
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Yeah, please leave the sentra setup outta here.

Anyone actually put that GTR setup on an S-chassis?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
mrmephistopheles

I've seen it done a few times, so it's very possible, yes.
I personally desire the BCNR33 Brembo setup for my car.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
D1champ
Zilvia Junkie

D1champ is on the path to ruinD1champ is on the path to ruin
Other than nissan, where could be a good place to source salvage 350Z/G35 parts? Doubt you can find those calipers at a local scrapyard.
D1champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
I've been digging around FA and Zilvia for info on Skyline GT-R Brembo brake systems. I am speaking as an S14 owner.

The R32 GT-R V-Spec, R33 GT-R, R34 GT-R, G35 Sport and 350Z Track all come with Brembos.

What I've found:

-All the setups use a 324x30mm brake rotor.

-R34 GT-R, 350Z Track and G35 Sport are identical. Calipers, rotors, and all hardware. The fronts will fit if you enlarge the mounting holes; the rears require custom brackets and work.

-The R33 is the same pad/rotor as above; the caliper, however, has the proper holes for mounting on an S-chassis. Front and rear calipers are a direct fit.

-One GTR owner I'm talking to says the rotors for the R32 V-Spec setup are different, but can't pin down how. He is unsure. Pads fit, and I'm assuming the caliper is the same.

What I need:
-What brake lines do I use? Presumably I just need 300ZX conversion lines to get a standard fitting instead of the "banjo" type that the 240sx stock brakes use.

-What e-brake assembly do I use? Can I use a 300ZX drum (aren't they all the same as the skyline ones?)?

-Are R32 GT-R Vspec rears the same as R33 GTR rear calipers? In other words, do they bolt right up as well?

-For the rear Z32 ebrake, S14 owners use R33 GT-S (non GTR) lines (or Yanack ones, which are the same thing). For S13, use modded Z32 lines. If I need a skyline e-brake assembly, do I (s14) still use the R33 lines?
OK... First consider the fact that the R32 GTR had Sumitumo Calipers (Not Brembo) and the R32 GTR V-spec had Brembo. Using that as a comparison the overall Size is only slightly larger and the fitment is the exact same.

I have R32 GTR Sumitumo Calipers on my S14... for the Front Calipers I had to use Z32 Hardlines off the Calipers to meet the Z32 SS Lines. I also have the original R32 GTR Hardlines but they dont match the Caliper... they honestly may be for the Brembos, and not the Sumitumo.

The Rear is Z32 Completly... but not the Subframe. E-brake lines were off a Z32 2-seater so they are too short to use (safely IMO). I will be getting the Yanack lines soon. The Rear setup for the GTRs have changed very little from each model. You guys can also consider that the Rear Sub-frame on the Silvia, Z32, and Skylines all mount the same and can be swap around like a Honda B-series. The S14 is about 10mm wider than the S13. The S15 I think is the same as the S14. Skylines are wider and I think the R34 is the widest. However regardless of the Track widening stance, some of the Arms are the exact same (S14 RUCA = R34 RUCA)... sorry got off track with that!!

Brembo uses a Standard size Caliper that is easy to use... The Z33/ G35, Skyline, Evo, STi, etc... use basically the same size Caliper the Mounting bracket is mounted to the botom of the Caliper... you can call and order the correct mounting bracket from Brembo.

You may get lucky and find a set of Skyline Brembo in the US from and Engine Importer (Venus-Auto, Jarco Inc) however, I doubt they will be left on the car as they sell used ones for nearly original cost in Japan.

Read through this also...
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=100264

Peace
Drew
Old 08-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
id say just use STI brembo calipers with evo rotors. rears need a 3mm shim, front needs a custom bracket.. but.. it was on here somewhere, someone just did the swap with ease. u can get the sti calipers for a decent price too. anyone have the link??

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
OptionZero
Post Whore!

or you can just use the 350Z rotor with the SPLparts.com Z32 caliper adapter.

The point here is to figure out how the GTR stuff bolts up. Right now, I'm not trying to compare it to other brake systems per se....
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
cosmoworks

cosmoworks is an unknown quantity at this point
OptionZero, you may to hit up T.Y. on FA, I believe he used BNR34 GT-R calipers front and rear on his car. IIRC, it doesn't require redrilling to 14mm to use, that should only be the Z33/V33 setup.

But you may want to rethink using the BNR34 GT-R setup on your car, as rotors are very difficult to find in the states since GMS went under. The only other options are usually $500 and up two-piece rotor/hat assemblies.

If you want a cheaper solution that still stops more than fast, then as you already listed, use a 350Z track rotor caliper relocation bracket (Punk Racing or SPL) on Z32 front calipers and the Z32 setup in the rear.

-Cosmo
cosmoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #16
OptionZero
Post Whore!

I could have sworn TY said that he had to re-drill his calipers, that's so wierd. I'll have to re-read that thread.

mr.meph, any insight?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
To the best of my knowledge- ALL skyline calipers bolt right up to the S-Chassis. The only other thing that would be different is the brake line fitting.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
flytwa78
Leaky Injector

flytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enoughflytwa78 will become famous soon enough
If we use the Brembos from the GTR's will we need to use a bracket for the calipers with the use of the rotors?
flytwa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
OptionZero
Post Whore!

No.
Like the post right above you says, GTR shit bolts right up to the s-chassis.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #20
undercoverdjay
Zilvia Junkie

undercoverdjay is making a name for him/her selfundercoverdjay is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to undercoverdjay
So its safe to say the GTR34/G35/Z33 track will all bolt to S chassis? What about the rear?
undercoverdjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #21
OptionZero
Post Whore!

R stuff bolts to the rear
Z stuff does not

front 350z brembos require enlarging holes to 14mm IIRC
Old 10-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
SpuGen
Leaky Injector

SpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her self
Sorry to bump this thread, but there's a full set of R32 GT-R brakes here locally for like $380CAD.

I read that they will bolt up to a S-Chassis no problem, but would the lines be modded the same way as the Z32 brakes? I have a S13 if that makes any difference (Don't think it does)

So it does bolt up, and there's no problem there. Could I use the Z32-S Chassis lines to make the fronts work?
What about the rear?

What kind if modifications would I need to do to get the ebrake to work? It should be the same as the Z32 right? Just not exactly the same process?

Need to know quick! I don't think these wil be around very long
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
OptionZero
Post Whore!

it bolts up

use z32 conversion lines

pretty sure e-brake is the same as z32
Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #24
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
Is it true the BNR34 uses what would be considered the F50 Brembo caliper. Where as 350z/G35 and others use the Lotus Brembo caliper.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #25
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
Yes, they use a different version of the F50.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:01 AM   #26
vipi0

vipi0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vipi0
if this helps any slideways jordan has r33 brakes on his sr20det build car
vipi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 AM   #27
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
As do I...................

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #28
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
SPL no longer sells the Z32 adapter.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:52 AM   #29
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
R stuff bolts to the rear
Z stuff does not

front 350z brembos require enlarging holes to 14mm IIRC
Back from the dead!

I am trying to see if I can use the Z33 322mm rear brakes (caliper and disc) on my WGNC34 Stagea.

Thus, can anyone explain the difference between the R33/34 Brembo REAR and the Z33/V35 REAR please?

Is the bolt pattern (ear hole distance) different?

Because looking at Z33/V35 322mm rear rotors vs R34 V-spec rear rotors, the only difference appears to be 0.5mm in rotor hat height. (Which I understand should be absorbable by the pistons).

Can I use Z33 rear pistons on my WGNC34 (which should be same as R33)??

Thanks in advance!
adey is offline   Reply With Quote