Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
How To: Remove Tint

Why:
As tint gets old it turns purple and start to bubble reducing visibility. It also looks retarted.
The S14 I picked up recently had this very problem, hence this write up.

Sides are purple and starting to bubble:

the rear was in pretty bad shape and one of the previous owners attempted to remove it but did a half-assed job and imo only made things worse. This was the main reason for doing this - visibility from the rear window was pretty bad - specially in the mornings when the window was foggy.

Tools:
- Ammonia
- Large dark trash bags
- Cutting blades or stencil knife
- Heat gun or hair dryer
- Mother's or Meguiar's vinyl/plastic protectant
- Face breather mask
- Window cleaner
- Soapy water
- Rags

You'll notice in the picture above that there are some items not mentioned in my list - i.e. Goo Gone and metal scrubbers. I got those since they were recommended but in the end I didn't end up making use of them.

Process:

- Dampened the window with soapy water and cover it with a trash bag.
I started out with the sides to get used to process since they are smaller.
At first I didn't see why this step was necessary at all but later I found out it makes 'seeing' the tint from inside the car much easier. Especially when it's time locate the little bits of tint left over.

- Soak the inside of the window with Ammonia. I used an empty spray bottle to do this. At first I tried taping around the window in an attempt to protect the trim but found out it's impossible to keep the tape on. So I just kept wiping off the dripping ammonia with a rag. Don't forget to open your windows/door/sunroof and wear a face mask.

- Use the heat gun to warm up glass from the outside. A second person comes in pretty handy (I bribed my brother with beer) at this point. It usually takes only a few minutes to have the ammonia loosen the glue. Make sure to keep the window soaked from inside at the same time.
*** Some places suggested leaving the soaking windows in the sun for about an hour to loosen the tint's glue or to try using a hairdryer. Personally, I feel anyone that works on cars often should have a heat gun in their arsenal as they come in pretty handy for many things and are relatively cheap.

- Once the window's been soaked and heated the tint is ready to come off. Peel the tint from a corner - you may need to use a blade or stencil knife to lift the edge - and try to remove the tint in one big chunk if possible. Keeping it soaked and heating the area been worked on simultaneously is the key. Don't rush.

- Go back for the small pieces of tint that you may have missed.

- Spray some more ammonia on the window and rub the area with a clean rag to remove the glue left behind by the tint. Put your elbows into it and make sure to do a thorough job.

- Finish off the window with glass cleaner for that extra sparkle.

- Dry the left over ammonia from the surrounding trim and apply a liberal amount of vinyl protectant.

- The rear window tint is removed in the same manner but because of the defroster it will be in much worse shape - pieces will be really stubborn and torn - and will come out in small pieces. Keep the blade or stencil knife handy and be careful not to scratch and damage the defroster. I removed the rear speaker cover and went to work. This was the most tedious part of the whole ordeal due the cramped working area.

Your can see the finished rear passenger side window.

Gives you a better idea of just how bad the rear tint was.

Results:
All done!

There were still a few small pieces of tint left that were noticeable from the outside so I had to go back and take care of them. Overall I spent about 2 hours doing this and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Notes:
***Most of this stuff - trash bags, ammonia, etc. - can be found at the 99 cent store. All in all I spent less than $5 on all this.

***Have a damp rag handy for your hands since the windows can get pretty hot.

Hope you found this usefull,

-Juan

***Edit****
- fixed images.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
removing tint sucks, and fyi you might want to link those thumbs to the larger images
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
Nice write up, just thought i would help a bit.

Code:
 Just replace * with [

*URL=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8352/sidewindowcrappytintzz2.jpg]*IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8352/sidewindowcrappytintzz2.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3482/rearwindowcrappytintpa0.jpg]*IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3482/rearwindowcrappytintpa0.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7035/toolsun7.jpg]*IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7035/toolsun7.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4643/passangerrearcoveredwk7.jpg]*IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4643/passangerrearcoveredwk7.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4694/passangerrearworkinprogxg9.jpg]*IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4694/passangerrearworkinprogxg9.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5812/rearwindowcoveredku4.jpg]*IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5812/rearwindowcoveredku4.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7232/rearwindowworkinprogresqk4.jpg]*IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7232/rearwindowworkinprogresqk4.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

*URL=http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7321/nomorecrappyreartinttc5.jpg]*IMG]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7321/nomorecrappyreartinttc5.th.jpg*/IMG]*/URL]

Working ones

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
removing tint sucks, and fyi you might want to link those thumbs to the larger images
My bad, thought they were linked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13 View Post
Nice write up, just thought i would help a bit.

[code] Just replace * with [
Thanks dude.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
removing tint sucks asss. it took me forever.

but nice writeup.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
removing tint is gay

i wish i would have had this write up when i did mine

i used to kinda gay tint remover and a razor... it worked
Old 10-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I got my car retinted and the installer used a steamer to take the old time off. Unless you got a good one laying around, I think this is the second best method.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
I'm not even gonna post what I did to take off my tint..... Lets just say I loved my car a lot.... and worked twice (to the 10th power) as hard, as long as I did it I was happy haha
Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
ManoNegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiI40sx View Post
I'm not even gonna post what I did to take off my tint..... Lets just say I loved my car a lot.... and worked twice (to the 10th power) as hard, as long as I did it I was happy haha
This wasn't that bad actually. In hindsight I would get a better breather/mask because inhaling ammonia sucks ass. Also a couple of hot encounters between my fingers and hot glass but overall not as bad as some of the brused knucles I've gotten working under the car.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Nismoknightska-t
Premium Member

Location: Azusa, socal baby! why do i live this way?? it must be the money!
Trader Rating: (3)
Nismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nismoknightska-t
I hate tint

my car had tint when I bought it..

payed the local tint shop 30$ to remove cant go wrong in 100+ degree weather..
Nismokights on http://www.youtube.com/user/NismoKnights
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I had the idea you were supposed to spray ammonia on the tint and directly apply the black bag on the inside, rather than the out.

Thats actually what I did with Windex and a black bag.

Spray inside, cover inside.
Let it sit for 2-3mins in blistering sun and it peeled like a charm.

hm.. I never knew the bag was supposed to be on the outside! lol i feel dumb.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
ManoNegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by babowc View Post
I had the idea you were supposed to spray ammonia on the tint and directly apply the black bag on the inside, rather than the out.

Thats actually what I did with Windex and a black bag.

Spray inside, cover inside.
Let it sit for 2-3mins in blistering sun and it peeled like a charm.

hm.. I never knew the bag was supposed to be on the outside! lol i feel dumb.
You could be right, but that's how I interpreted it from a few poorly written how-tos. I'm curious to try your method, just need to find some more crappy tint.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
Actually spray the inside and bag the inside seems right to me. When I did it I just used windex and a razor blade and scraped and scraped the shit out of my windows, lol. But it worked!!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Haha., Maybe!
Try it and see, unless you already took all your tint off, lol.

I tinted my own windows..
never going to try that again.
doesn't look bad, but because I applied the tint, I can spot all the little minor bubbles and stuff. I hate it, but noone can see it. lol.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
nice write up, wish i new about this before i removed mine. long hours with a razor blade sucks.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #16
powersteeringless180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
powersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yea taking tint off sucks ass. my back was killin me after i took the tint off my rear glass.

is there anyway to repair he defroster cuz i took off some the filament when i took the razor to it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Razor blade and Windex does the side windows quick and easy, I worked at a tint shop for a few years. For the rear, we used a chemical degreaser and a scuff pad, worked well enough in all applications. The above does work better but I didn't always have access to a heat gun when three other cars were being tinted.
I stripped a car not too long ago for a friend, the rear window was the worst I've ever seen so instead of stripping it I just swapped the glass out. Helps when you have nine S14 rear windows laying around.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 01-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
great write up.. my s13 has some shitty ass tint. Weekend project pushed aside for this
thanks..

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
sijia10358
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
sijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfectionsijia10358 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i need to remove my tint!! but im too lazy!

[email protected]

TIRE CENTRAL "DONALD" 626-227-0150
DRIFT SPEED "QUOC" 562-342-9000
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #20
jackjack
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
jackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i normally just use a blade with windex but.......... obviously that dosent work too well for the back window. unless you're in a hurry and don't care about it

nice write up