Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (26)
S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
s14 ♠ S14driftr's zenki build ♠

Hey everyone, my name's Craig. I first bought this 96 se with 131xxx miles when I just turned 17. I became the 3rd owner after a friend of mine had bought it off a girl that moved to NY from Cali. The car's under body was rust free besides for some surface rust here and there. The body wasn't in bad shape either and the stock 5spd Ka ran perfect.

Here is a few pictures of when I first got it.

Shortly after I ordered a set Stance Gr+ coilovers. Unfortunately I have no pics of the install but here is a picture of her lowered on them.

After I put the coilovers in I didnt do much with the car besides get an AEM intake for it and one day I was driving home from school when my exhaust pipe broke off from the dummy cat, so I then ripped the stock exhaust off and purchased a Blitz Nur spec r... such a great sounding exhaust lol.

As you can see in the photos above the hood and front bumper looked like complete sh*t so I picked up a jdm bumper and later located a used oem hood. A friend that works at a body shop helped me prep the front so we did that and then had it sprayed by a local body shop.

And the finished product !

Time went on and last summer while driving a friend home a heard a loud ticking/knocking coming from the motor. I knew about the timing chain guides so the first thing I did was remove the one under the valve cover. Sure enough it was broken but it didn't solve the problem. My dad and I then had learned that my motor had slipped a connecting rod bearing. We pulled the motor and had the crankshaft machined and purchased a new set of bearings along with new connecting rods, then reinstalled everything.

Finally after the long wait of being able to drive the car again was over... or so i thought. About a week after we just had installed the motor, I had driven the car to the local car wash. After I was done, I was pulling out of the bay when the motor started to knock again. As I pressed in the clutch I heard a loud bang. I shut the car off and then had it towed back home. The motor was then pulled again. This time I blew hole through the block. Come to find out the torque wrench I borrowed from a friend, to torque down the rod caps was broken and gave an incorrect reading causing the nuts to vibrate off.

I then parted out the motor this past fall. I still have parts boxed up so if anyone needs any KA parts just ask me.

I always knew that one day I would put an SR in so I figured now was the best time. I got thinking and planned to basically rebuild the the entire car taking care of any flaws. My project then started...

Last edited by S14Driftr91; 08-16-2012 at 03:45 PM..
S14Driftr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
This past winter the car went up on jackstands and rebuilding started. I figured i start on the rear end first and make way towards the front.

I started pulling apart the rear end by taking off the the lights and bumper, and also dropping the complete rear end.

Part of the plan was to completely coat the underside of the chassis and most of the rear with POR-15 rust preventive paint.

After grinding down any rust and prepping the rear with the required solutions, Marine Clean and Metal Ready, I was ready to start painting.

After the rear was finished I moved on to the underside. I removed the gas tank, took off all the brake and fuel lines, removed any cracked undercoating and grinded down any surface rust using a wire wheel.

All painted up using 4 coats of POR

The subframe along with the all the oem suspension arms and the hubs/knuckles were then prepped and painted. I also cut out the subframe bushings since they were broken.

After the subframe was coated with the POR, I used one of POR's top coats called Chassis Black. Thats the black you see on the bottom of the subframe.

A first coat on the hubs and knuckles.

New Energy Suspension polyurethane subframe bushings

Last edited by S14Driftr91; 05-28-2011 at 01:14 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
s14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Not a bad start man.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14tan View Post
Not a bad start man.
Thanks man! Since I started working on the car in the winter alot has happened with the car since then. I dont know why but I waited to put started the build thread. Now I just need to catch up with all the photos so where i currently stand.

After the subframe and arms were painted the rlca got some new balljoints.

While making my way down the chassis I found some expected rust. Where the jack point is on the rear passenger side was all chewed up, a hole along the rocker panel on the passenger side and a hole in the floor pan under the gas pedal..guess I got a heavy foot haha.

All the rest of the areas didn't look too bad so once again I took the wire wheel to everything and cleaned it off.

To repair the jack point and part of the frame we first started by getting as much rust out as possible. After that I grinded down whatever was left. We then took a steel plate and started to mock up a replacement section

Here's the custom piece we made to fit in the rusted spot.

Making sure everything fits nice.

New piece welded in ! On the top on the metal piece you can see the hole from the factory. Unfortuanly the mig wleder gun couldn't reach so I bought some POR Putty, mixed it up and placed it on the parts where we couldn't run a bead. Within an hour it was rock hard. Whats nice about this stuff is its water proof and can bond to nearly everthing.

MORE PICS AND UPDATES TO COME! THANKS FOR LOOKING !
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
J_SquidYO

Trader Rating: (1)
J_SquidYO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice build craig i bought marks convertible s13 and im putting my sr in it if you need help im down im friends with steve so i live in poughkeepsiee let me know buddy =]
J_SquidYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
nice craig!

Cliff notes: Florida
sr20sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
helllllllz yeah!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

thanks alot guyz !

With the rust fixed in the rear i figured it was time to start reinstalling the gas tank and and other parts.

I cleaned up the gas tank really good and and installed a Walbro 255 fuel pump. Unfortunately I never took any pics.

The gas tank straps weren't in too bad of shape but I decided to replace them. From Nissan they were charging about $35 for each one. Since they are a simple design I decided to fab up my own. I went to the local metal supplier and had them cut too strips of sheet metal for me. It cost me $10. Now since the OEM straps have the brackets on them, all I did was cut them off and weld the brackets to the new straps.

Exactly the same as the OEM ones, maybe even better !

And to top it all off.. I had them powder coated and got new hardware!

If i was going to have to a fresh looking gas tank with some nice straps, I was forced to do something about the heat shield. The shield i had on there was garbage and it rusted out but I managed to salvage one from a parts car i had a year ago. It wasnt in bad shape at all besides a a small hole. I took the POR Putty and filled the hold, then sanded it smooth.

Here's a picture of it soaked with the POR Metal Ready.

I then POR'd the top and bottom of the shield. After 2 coats of that, I then took the Sterling Silver, a POR top coat, and did 2 coats of that.

The finished product!

Up goes the gas tank !

And following that, the heat shield !
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
Loving this.
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
dreamin240sx
Zilvia Junkie

dreamin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dreamin240sx
impressive sir
Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

s14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choicess14tan has made poor choices
I saw the rust and I was like, ouch!!!!

Then I saw what you did and I said, Fvck yeaahhh!!!!

Keep it up man.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
JDMwannaBE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
JDMwannaBE is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is inspiring me man, keep it going!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks alot guys! I have high standards and expectations for this car but with parts being so expensive and the time to work on it can sometimes be difficult but, hey you gotta pay to play!

Continuing on with the photos to get up to my most recent phase..

While the underside of the chassis was mostly bare. I decided to take out all the fuel and brake lines out. I was going to replace them but surprisingly they were still in pretty good condition.

After I laid them out, I took a fine grit sandpaper and just cleaned them off. After they were cleaned I coated them in the POR.

Since most of the plastic clips that hold the brake & fuel lines in place had broke, I went ahead and order all new pieces from Nissan. While I was at it, I also ordered a new gasket for the diff cover, nuts and bolts to mount the subframe.

After the rear subframe was complete it was time to put it back in.

If your wondering why I never installed the diff or drive axles or maybe even why my brake calipers are ziptied to the subframe lol... Its because I'm not too sure if I'm completely satisfied with the outcome of the subframe so it may come out again. Plus the diff was getting a little makeover...

BAMMM !

Here's a better picture of the diff cover powder coated.

...At least with the subframe in i was able to make the car a roller and take her off the jack stands. With the help of friend, we pushed the car out of the garage and turned it around.

Rolled out with my brother's zenki undergoing a 5speed swap haha

Time to start working on the front end !

Here we are in the beginning stage of stripping down the front end.

So this is what is hiding behind my fenders...

I was hoping I would at least find some change in there. Unfortunately nothing

Carefully taking everything out

As were trying to take everything out we ran into some problems. Both the engine and headlight harness were being a pain in the a$$ so to make things easier I took the dashboard out to have easier excess for wiring. I also have a Viper alarm on the car that I no longer wanted since it was not operating correctly.

To snake the engine harness though I had to remove the blower on the end.

And the mess of wiring I have to deal with lol.

As I was sorting through the wires for the alarm I was really surprised. My friend who previously owned the car had purchased the Viper alarm from Bestbuy and had them install it... They did an awesome job.....

Their "quality" work is pathetic.

After the alarm issue and everything was out, we taped up any holes or lines and got ready to power wash the bay.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

What color is that diff cover?!?!?! I wanna do my bay a color like that.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14tan View Post
What color is that diff cover?!?!?! I wanna do my bay a color like that.
its like an aqua-teal.. i forget the name of the actual color but ill find out for you. i love this color so much. im also doing a few other parts in this color
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
s13silvia_R
Zilvia Member

s13silvia_R is making a name for him/her selfs13silvia_R is making a name for him/her self
I like how you por the whole under carriage .
I like the powder coat on the diff, looks pretty rad.
s13silvia_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia_R View Post
I like how you por the whole under carriage .
I like the powder coat on the diff, looks pretty rad.
Thanks alot man ! theres plenty more to come !
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
s14tan
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14Driftr91 View Post
its like an aqua-teal.. i forget the name of the actual color but ill find out for you. i love this color so much. im also doing a few other parts in this color
Thanks bud!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Its been a couple weeks since a new update but I have been making some progress! As the car went back into the garage we put her back on the jack stands and starting taking apart the front subframe.

Once the subframe was out of the way it was time to clean the bay and fix up some rust. I started by removing unnecessary brackets such as the OEM air box mount and battery tray. I first drilled out the spot welds, after the bracket was removed I then went over the spot with a wire wheel, cleaning everything.

I then tacted up the holes... wind kept blowing into the garage thus the shit welds and it doesnt help that they kept traveling since the metal is so thin

After the brakets were removed my dad an I focused on repairing the strut towers. The passenger side had hole on the front side and the driver side had holes on both the front and rear of the tower.

Passenger side strut tower

Driver side strut tower (front)

Driver side strut tower (rear)

We planned to cut out the rusted areas and made custom pieces to fit in using 16g sheet metal.

To cut out the pieces we used a die grinder with a cut-off wheel.

After we took some measurements we test fitted them in.

After we got the placement and fitment we were looking for we then drilled holes for the spot welds.

All welded up !

The same process was used for the other 2 holes too.

Here's my dad welding up the front of the driver side strut tower.

To bring down the welds we then hit it the grinder.

After all the new patches were finished up I painted over them with two coats of POR-15. When the POR was almost dry I sprayed a light coat of primer over the spots.

Last edited by S14Driftr91; 07-08-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
victorw210
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
victorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so much nice work going into this should turn out very nice
victorw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

After all rust was fixed I was left with some welds that I could not grind down any further. I went and got some Duraglass body filler and spread it over the welds and any where else that I needed to.

I messed around with the filler a few times, sanding out high spots and filling low spots until I got it perfect.

After everything was how I wanted it I was focusing on the radiator support. At one time this car had been hit and it was pretty obvious. The top portion of the rad support looked like crap, it had body filler in it and wasn't strait at all so I ordered a new one from Nissan. As for the other parts of the rad support they weren't in bad condition. I just heated them up and worked with them until everything was back to where it should be.

You can see the body filler in the picture and notice how uneven it is.

I went to the local harbor freight store and picked up a few spot weld bits. They worked great and I literally took the top portion off in less than 10 minutes. Alot better and faster than using a standard drill bit !

Here is the new radiator support compared to the old one.

Test fitted on..

All welded on. Soon to be prepped for paint.

Finally ready for primer. Masked everything off and covered the car using drip sheets I picked up at Home Depot. I also hung a sheet from the ceiling to prevent any over spray from going on the tool boxes or quads

I took my time and shot it using SEM high build primer. It came out great.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Well now I'm finally caught up on where I stand with my process. The bay got its first coat of primer yesterday and all the seam sealer was laid down too.

Since I wasnt too sure how I liked the outcome of my rear subframe, I dropped it about a week ago and arranged for it to be sandblasted since it would not fit in a standard sanding cabinet.

I picked it up early this morning and then dropped both the front and rear subframes off along with a bunch of other little brackets to be powder coated

Everything should be coated within the week !
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Lovin the build so far man!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
laxrider
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
laxrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looking good man! I like the attention to detail!

I think it's cool you and your brother both have Zenki's
laxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

thanks alot guys! I've always wanted to build a car so now im getting the chance to do that. I know my work doesnt stand up to some of the other cars on here but I just keep doing what I like. With the plans I have in my head I'm positive you guys will enjoy the outcome.

When my brother turned 16 this past year, he was looking at cars but nothing in particular he had on his mind, until one day he came across a craigslist ad for 96 zenki se in Long Island. I think the guy wanted 3g for it but the shape of the car is kinda rough so it wasnt worth it. It had a poorly replaced quarter panel, maaco paint job and the front end was also hit at one time because i noticed an aftermarket hood. Anyway my bro gave him a call and the guy went down to 2g somehow.. i guess he really needed to get rid of it.. so my brother told him he was still gonna look around and think about. A few days later the guy called and told us we could have it for 1600 so I told him, alright ill be down this afternoon lol.. it was automatic but right now its being converted to 5spd using my old tranny and parts.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #26
rich250x
Leaky Injector

rich250x is an unknown quantity at this point
nice build thread man very inspirational makes me want to do more work on my car
rich250x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #27
kamikazeplus

kamikazeplus is an unknown quantity at this point
any updates
kamikazeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #28
stockbee
Zilvia Member

stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
yeah, this is pretty thorough build coverage. Keep it up.
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #29
single_slam_ka

single_slam_ka is an unknown quantity at this point
great biuld man
single_slam_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #30
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Hey everyone, sorry i really haven't updated anything yet. Im still waiting on the all the pieces that were given to the powder coater. Whats nice is my brother works at Hudson Valley Powdercoating so i pretty much get anything I want coated for free lol. However the down side to that is the wait time since he works on my parts when he has free time. I was told they'll be done soon though so im hoping this upcoming week. As for more body work i cleaned up the front wheel wells and started to Por-15 them.

More updates will be on the way guys ! Ill post some pictures up either this week or next week. Hope everyone had a safe and fun 4th of july !