Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
blindside73

Trader Rating: (0)
blindside73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Almost every check engine code set (pictures)

I picked up my first S-chassis. It's 1996 zenki ka. I'm hoping it's the ECU or/and harness. I'm planning to remove the wiring harness to wring out shorts. Is it possible for the ECU to go bad is there a way to test it? Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
blindside73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
That is pretty funny.

Just kind of a heads up for you. I've worked on these engines and many others for over a decade and never checked an engine code on a personal car. Usually if I do it at all its to satisfy a potential buyer, and I don't blame them for wanting to be sure, that is kind of what its for.

Hint hint given. Its for the unaware. The buyer who is not a mechanic. As a diagnostician (you are attempting to diagnose yourself a problem) the code(s) themselves are only worth or only able to tell you what you yourself already know about the way the engine works. I.e. you are not diagnosing the code itself. Whether there is a code or not, an engine can run poorly. So as a teacher of your own future ability to work on a vehicle I am trying to help you to stop thinking about the codes themselves and start thinking about how a vehicle works. What it wants when you turn the key, etc... What wires are getting power. How many wires and where are they likely to be found, etc...

In this case all this flys because no one single code is clearly the "problem" you have something larger going on. To help you we need way more info, like

Does the car run at all
does it fire or turn over
what sounds/lights come on when you turn the key,
whens the last time it was run
did it ever run a long distance to your knowledge (how many years did you own it)
did you already check the obvious (ECU connector for rust and tightness) etc
stuff like that.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
blindside73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
That is pretty funny.

Does the car run at all
does it fire or turn over
what sounds/lights come on when you turn the key,
whens the last time it was run
did it ever run a long distance to your knowledge (how many years did you own it)
did you already check the obvious (ECU connector for rust and tightness) etc
stuff like that.
Yes the car does run very rich. Verified by black plugs.
idle is very rough
I tested compression seeing 155 - 160psi across all 4
The check engine light and srs light are on.
210,000 miles
Checked ECU and connector are very clean.

With all those codes I'm guessing it's either a grounding issue or a bad ECU. What's the most cost effective Nissan consult Port scan tool?

I'll be reporting back with pictures and updates as I resolved this for others in the future.

Thanks again in advance for your help!

Old 07-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
blindside73

Had shorts in main harness specifically at M21. During my manual swap I changed all the harness in the front half of the car:

Main
Engine room
Engine
Engine control

I was lucky enough to find a donor car at my local junkyard yard which has all the harnesses and all the manual parts for my swap. Time to get it smogged! Gotta love Cali.[emoji12]

Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside73 View Post
I'm hoping it's the ECU or/and harness.
Oh boy....