Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
NIStune Questions? Get them answered here!

Hello,
I'm a NIStune authorized dealer. I would simply like to be here to tell people about it and answer their questions.

Nistune is a software program that enables you to datalog and realtime tune the factory ecu with a NIStune board, a standard daughter board, or a calum board.

Let there be no mistake, I'm not on here trying to sell it to you guys on within this thread or advertise it and the purpose of this thread is not to contain any discussion of prices or where to get it from. My drift car has been sponsored by NIStune before I became a dealer of it. I'm not on here trying to sell NIStune to you guys, I just want to help inform people about it because allot of the information I see posted on the net seems to be written in a way that its easy to go over many peoples heads. I want to answer your questions untill you have a firm understanding about it.

Here are some screen shots of the software.

If anyone has any NIStune related questions I will answer them for you.
Also if you have any questions about other methods of tuning I can try my best to help too.

One thing I WILL NOT DO is provide any bin files or base maps. I see too much liability there and it kind of goes against the idea of tuning your own ecu, the reason we want to tune our own ecu is to get away from bench made tunes.
I also cannot teach people how to tune. If you have a nistune setup and are wanting some pointers I can help you there but I will not walk you through the entire process because there would be too much liability on my end. If your unsure how to tune but want a well tuned car, any good tuning shop should be able to make quick work with your setup.

Please use this thread for any questions you have about NIStune. It seems as if I have let too many other peoples threads get jacked because people want to ask me questions and that is uncool on my part.

I would also like to give everyone a free trial of the software! It may help with everyones understanding of the program or to see how it differs from what you use currently. This free trial can only be opened 1 time after you put in the trial regestration! So open it when your ready to look at it and have enough time. If you dont close the program, or power off your computer you can have it opened for several days. I had my free trial open for over a week personally untill we lost power at the house. That was a pretty good while ago however lol.

Any ways here is the link to download the free trial program.
Free NIStune trial
Download that first and install it and then download the rom pack.
The rom pack will ask to install in the same folder as nistune and select yes.
The regestration for the trial of NIStune is as follows.
name:trial
email:trial

I hope I can be of help to you guys!
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
HOBBS240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
HOBBS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is NIStune a standalone or piggy back?
HOBBS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBS240 View Post
Is NIStune a standalone or piggy back?
It is neither actually. Nistune is a software program that allows you to edit nissan bin files. If equipped with a nistune real time board, and certain other daughter boards it will allow you to real time your ecu. It would be more comparable to a standalone though if you had to compare it to one of your options.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Someone asked me a question in another thread and since I didnt want to end up steeling the guys thread I posted it here for the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessboost View Post
I talk to Brandon acouple of days ago about a nistune for my ka and he was extremely helpful. I don't know much about the tuning realm of the sr or ka world but he took his time in explaining how some off the stuff works. I dont even have an ecu from him yet but he was explaining how good they were and i was SOLD! Il def be getting a nistune from him in the next week or 2. My only question is, if i get my tune somewhat good and bring it to a tuner to have him fine polish it can i just bring the software to him with all my user information and use his laptop? Are you able to install the software on more than one computer?
Some tuners will happen to have a license for nistune already. You can bring them the software too, no biggy. If they try to use it on other peoples cars, after a few times its going to lock them out of it anyways if it was just a single user license. I would not share my tuner version though.
This has made me think, and I think im going to suggest a new type of software license to nistune. Ill give details later.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
got my Nistune, works perfectly, the only issue im having currently is running my UEGO on it due to my laptop being Vista...

Hyperterminal was removed in vista...so im semi SOL

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
HOBBS240
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
It is neither actually. Nistune is a software program that allows you to edit nissan bin files. If equipped with a nistune real time board, and certain other daughter boards it will allow you to real time your ecu. It would be more comparable to a standalone though if you had to compare it to one of your options.

So in comparison if you know much about the Evo. Is this a logging and a tuning software in one?? The Evo has Evoscan and ECUflash to adjust everything that they need to. Is that how that this program is?? But you say that it is realtime adjustable so does that mean that you would not need to shut the car off to flash and adjust?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBS240 View Post
So in comparison if you know much about the Evo. Is this a logging and a tuning software in one?? The Evo has Evoscan and ECUflash to adjust everything that they need to. Is that how that this program is?? But you say that it is realtime adjustable so does that mean that you would not need to shut the car off to flash and adjust?

Sorry, I dont know much about the evo personally. However nistune is a logging and tuning program in one. The boards are not capable of logging by them selves as some standalones are capable of, but you can log any time you have your laptop hooked up in the car.

And by real time tunable, I mean whenever you have your laptop synked with your ecu any time you make an adjustment it is reflected immediatly on your ecu in the ram memory. In order to make it a perminate change for the next time you start up the car you need to hit the burn button before shutting the car off. Hitting the burn button is seemless and instant and will not effect how your car runs for even a second.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
HOBBS240
Leaky Injector

Yeah that sounds pretty close to a standalone. But the Evo has two programs it has a logging and then a flashing software.
But this sounds like something that my friend would be good with since he use to have the evo.
Its nice that you dont have to shut the car down in order to tune the car. What Widebands will work with this? AEM, Zeitronix, or any others? lol can't think of the names of others.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Aem and zeitronix work for sure, as well as Innovate. I personally use innovate widebands and love them. I have a customer that is having trouble getting his aem to work but its more of an aem/vista problem. You will have to be able to get your wideband to work with your laptop before it will work with nistune.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Damn it, I broke down and got a PFC DJetro..... with a good tune on it.... sucks.... oh welllz
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
HOBBS240
Leaky Injector

Ok so one more question. Since I have OBD1 what cable would i buy? Does it work with OBD1?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

The pmls cable works the best with nistune as nistune was developed with the plms consult cable although nistune is not "locked out" from other cables. Any high quality consult cable will work, if it dont work, you probably got it from ebay....

Type 1 boards dont need consult cables, just plug a usb cable right in your ecu.
We keep the plms consult cables in stock.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Syncade
Zilvia FREAK!

Syncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to Syncade
I wish there were some authorized tuners by me
Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncade View Post
I wish there were some authorized tuners by me

I would not let that be what holds me back.
There are many shops that tune nistune systems that are not an "authorized dealer/tuner". There are a few requirements that some shops dont want to waste their time in order to meet in order to become "authorized". Many of them dont want to sell the setups, they are just mostly interested in being able to tune a setup when it comes through the door, and you are some what expected to be able to move some product if you want to be "authorized".
So like I said, there are many shops that happen to be very famarliar with the nistune software and just dont happen to be reconized by NIStune Australia. Also, any decent shop that tunes standalones and various other ecu setups should be able to make simple work out of nistune. Sure they would want to read up on it just a little or play around with the program to get familiar with different things such as load limits, and how to scale the maps, but any decent tuning shop that has tuned MAF based systems should not have any trouble tuning the nistune setup.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
so for an obd1 red top sr20 which one would i order, what kind of cable do i need (standard usb)? and the appropriate software will come with it?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
my HB has been sitting since i got NIStune...i picked up a daily...its mad at me for not driving it around...its awesome...ima post up a vid later in the week f how it looks when it connected to the car while driving

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landins13 View Post
so for an obd1 red top sr20 which one would i order, what kind of cable do i need (standard usb)? and the appropriate software will come with it?

For the red top you need the type 3 board. You need a consult cable. You also need a working consult port installed or your factory one wired in properly.

Some places sale everything all together. Some people sale most of it together and it seems like a good price untill you see that you have to get a consult port seperate.

We sale everything seperate.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
For the red top you need the type 3 board. You need a consult cable. You also need a working consult port installed or your factory one wired in properly.
so im not entirelly getting this, i priced it up and its gonna be 550 in parts if i do the labor, plus i need a consult port added to the car, its an obd1 car with and obd1 motor and an obd1 ecu so why do i need to wire in a consult port to make this work, and how much is that going to cost, im just comparing price and function, because i can pick up a power fc for 550 and this is seeming to be more of a hassle then i originally thought.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
drifter_for_life06
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
drifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her selfdrifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drifter_for_life06 Send a message via Yahoo to drifter_for_life06
yea, seems a little more involved now that it originally seemed at the beginning of the thread, either way im still interested....does a blacktop s13 SR require the same type 3 board as a redtop?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
drifter_for_life06
Zilvia Addict

drifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her selfdrifter_for_life06 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to drifter_for_life06 Send a message via Yahoo to drifter_for_life06
i downloaded the trial....is it supposed to say "Trial Expired" everytime I try to open NIStune? It worked the first time I opened it, now I have to uninstall, then reinstall the .exe files to play with it again...is that normal or did i do something wrong?

On another note...I like the program...granted i cant do everything its capable of since its a trial...but thus far, it seems good/easy to use
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #21
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landins13 View Post
so im not entirelly getting this, i priced it up and its gonna be 550 in parts if i do the labor, plus i need a consult port added to the car, its an obd1 car with and obd1 motor and an obd1 ecu so why do i need to wire in a consult port to make this work, and how much is that going to cost, im just comparing price and function, because i can pick up a power fc for 550 and this is seeming to be more of a hassle then i originally thought.
No, Im not sure where the confusion is coming from. Where did you get your prices from too? On our site (which Im not trying to promote but just using it as an example) the total cost would only be $510 and that would be with us doing the install for you. If your car is a 91-98 and the wiring harness was done properly your factory consult port will work correctly. If not its a simple couple of wires and we can throw in a port with your order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter_for_life06 View Post
yea, seems a little more involved now that it originally seemed at the beginning of the thread, either way im still interested....does a blacktop s13 SR require the same type 3 board as a redtop?
Trust me, if the swap was done properly it is as easy as shipping your ecu off to a nistune dealer and then re installing the ecu back into your car. I cannot be held acountable for people that dont do the wiring correctly and even then all you have to do is hook up a few wires. We send the instructions along with a consult port by request if needed.

Now for your question consirning the blacktop s13 sr, some of them are type 3 and some are type 4. The J4 ecu is type 4, all of the other s13 sr20det (red and black top) share the type 3 board.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #22
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter_for_life06 View Post
i downloaded the trial....is it supposed to say "Trial Expired" everytime I try to open NIStune? It worked the first time I opened it, now I have to uninstall, then reinstall the .exe files to play with it again...is that normal or did i do something wrong?

On another note...I like the program...granted i cant do everything its capable of since its a trial...but thus far, it seems good/easy to use

Thanks for downloading it and giving us your feedback on it. I tried to give fair warning about it only being able to open up 1 time in the first post right before I posted the links and the free trial info. I honestly dont know what you will have to do in order to get it to work again without purchasing the program. Im sure the NIStune developers didnt make it easy however otherwise no one would ever buy the program.

Quote:

I would also like to give everyone a free trial of the software! It may help with everyones understanding of the program or to see how it differs from what you use currently. This free trial can only be opened 1 time after you put in the trial regestration! So open it when your ready to look at it and have enough time. If you dont close the program, or power off your computer you can have it opened for several days. I had my free trial open for over a week personally untill we lost power at the house. That was a pretty good while ago however lol.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
drifter_for_life06
Zilvia Addict

cool, thanks for the feedback. I feel stupid...i read you're warning and yet I still posted that....running on no sleep for the past 36 hours is making me loopy and forgetful
Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #24
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

No worries. I feel your pain.

I feel bad that Im trying to answer peoples questions as thoroughly as possible to my best capabilities instead of just giving short answers and having them figure it out for themselves, but I seem to be just adding to the confusion.

If anyone has any questions at all about anything please ask me to clarify anything for you. I will be happy to do so. I work with nistune setups everyday so even though Im not trying to be over anyones head I may still be on accident. It really is a simple thing and I may be over complicating it for yall.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #25
SuicidnS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
SuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
So what exactly am I going to need parts and all for my s14 which is running an rb20det? Im going to push the rb20 to its limits and then swap it over for a built rb25 long block still running the rb20 tranny, harness, ect.... Will my car need a consult port added?
SuicidnS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
bewst pewp

bewst pewp is an unknown quantity at this point
so basically it's like flash tuning correct?
bewst pewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #27
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Nistune for RB25 (ECR33) any time soon?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #28
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Nistune for RB25 (ECR33) any time soon?

This is from Matt @ NIStune.
Quote:
We are thinknig about doing a board for R33 RB25DE/RB25DET but it involves a fair amount of work, and the parts to interface with the existing 84 pin MCU on this ECU. It is a very difficult board to get started on and requires whole new firmware code to be implemented, whilst supporting customers with our existing product line. I will start drafting schematics once Type 5 has been finished and we have got the knock sensing functionality working.
If you are looking for something to get these going then we suggest either using a HCR32 Skyline or Z32 300ZX ECU with a Type 2 board.
And honestly he is spot on with using a z32 ecu. I honestly recommend that rb guys use z32 ecus because they are more common here in the states in case you need to replace your ecu. There is like 5 wires you need to change around, no biggy.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #29
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
This is from Matt @ NIStune.

*knowledge*

And honestly he is spot on with using a z32 ecu. I honestly recommend that rb guys use z32 ecus because they are more common here in the states in case you need to replace your ecu. There is like 5 wires you need to change around, no biggy.
Nice, good tip! I'll keep that in mind as a cost-effective option when I go top mount/GT30, rather than AEM, Haltec, or PFC.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
hottscennessey
Leaky Injector

hottscennessey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question:
Does Nistune allow me to open, and resave my .bin's in .bin format. Or is it going to be .nis or something foreign and encrypted like that?

Sometimes I like to bust out the hex editor.
hottscennessey is offline   Reply With Quote