Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Rwd Sr20de(t) Q

I was wondering if anybody has done something like this. I got a buddy out here who is in the process of picking up an S15 Spec S. Non-turbo variant blah blah blah...I was wondering if anybody have tried to stick a DET stock turbo setup into an NA version. Im wondering as far as the water/oil feed lines go. Do the stock NA block has the holes for these tapped out already or would we have to go custom lines route? Thanks

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is what I did:

Oil feed, I T'ed off the oil sending unit and ran it around the back side of the motor. 3AN and about 4ft of SS line

Oil return, drill and tap the block for a 3/8th or 1/2" NPT and use a 5/8th barbed fitting. As soon as you look at the block, you'll know right where to drill/tap.

Water lines, extend the water lines that typically run to your TB for your water feed/return. I ran one around the back and one around the front. You could also use the S14 water neck to shorten one line.

Of course I'm using the S13 SR20DE, so I can't give you any advice on the ECU/harness. I used the KA harness and a sentra JWT ECU.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
s13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
yea just drill and tap. theres blanks for the oil return/feed/water where it would of been drilled by the factory if it was a turbo. this link will pretty much giv u a good idea. but of course its a S13 SR.

http://www.initialdrift.com.au/forum...php?f=8&t=3393

MCcoy can u giv me a more detailed description on how u did it plus the wiring? i got a DE im bout 2 run NA untill i save up money for a t28. i would greatly appreciate it.

hope this help u out some, flip
s13drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13drob View Post
MCcoy can u giv me a more detailed description on how u did it plus the wiring? i got a DE im bout 2 run NA untill i save up money for a t28. i would greatly appreciate it.
I'm using the KA harness, with just the TPS and IACV/knock sensor needing to be rewired to work with the DE. I'm using a JWT ECU from my old sentra.

I'll see about giving more of a detailed writeup on zilvia later, but for now you can see my writeup on the SR20forum, here
Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
hey Mccoy quick question how cheaper was it to buy a sr20de and turbocharging that vs a regular sr20det swap
Old 07-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team DET View Post
hey Mccoy quick question how cheaper was it to buy a sr20de and turbocharging that vs a regular sr20det swap
not 100%, but it was cheaper.

Figure a good condition DE/tranny/ecu was around $700 shipped. I picked up the turbo parts fairly cheap ($250 for a T28) and have about $150 in misc fittings/lines. Of course my MSD inj, Z32 MAF, cams, and JWT ecu came off my sentra, it made things alot easier when I turboed the car
Old 07-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

s13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymore
thanx mccoy. ill subscribe 2 keep in contact wen i go turbo.

hows ur motor running/hp/psi? hows the higher comp work with a T? more torque and better response? actually let c some VIDS!! haha

considering WHEN the DET was around 1200 and the DE was 600, its a good idea to go DE, so u can put more money into the rebuild and better turbo (t28+)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Well, see I wont have to do anything wiring wise just cuz the engines stock to the car. He's basically getting info to figure out the best coarse of action. We're playing with ideas as far as slapping a stock turbo, or better yet, maybe even toss a DET bottom end and keeping the stock head so we wont have to worry about wiring or anything like that. So I guess thats the question now, will all the oil/water passenger line up if we slapped a DET bottom end and re-use the NA head?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
hows ur motor running/hp/psi? hows the higher comp work with a T? more torque and better response? actually let c some VIDS!! haha
There's alittle more response that the DET that I had in my sentra, but overall you can't tell that much difference. no videos yet, not till I get a cage in the car and add a camera mount for track days

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Well, see I wont have to do anything wiring wise just cuz the engines stock to the car. He's basically getting info to figure out the best coarse of action. We're playing with ideas as far as slapping a stock turbo
see my first response... this is the easiest way of doing it.

Quote:
toss a DET bottom end and keeping the stock head so we wont have to worry about wiring or anything like that. So I guess thats the question now, will all the oil/water passenger line up if we slapped a DET bottom end and re-use the NA head?
Why wouldn't you swap in a whole DET and just use the DE distributor and associated wiring. The DET head has sodium exhaust valves and would be worth having.

Of course if you can find a DET block for cheap, nothing wrong with that either, you'll get the lower CR (safer for boost) and oil piston squirters.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Team DET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
Team DET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
not 100%, but it was cheaper.

Figure a good condition DE/tranny/ecu was around $700 shipped. I picked up the turbo parts fairly cheap ($250 for a T28) and have about $150 in misc fittings/lines. Of course my MSD inj, Z32 MAF, cams, and JWT ecu came off my sentra, it made things alot easier when I turboed the car
Thanks McCoy maybe on my next build i'll be taking this route but on a 510
Old 07-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
im actually doing the same thing, mcCoy has provided me with a wealth of info

i bought my sr20de motorset for 700
6 puck sprung rated for 450 - 300
sr20det turbo parts+jwt ecu-410

way cheaper then a det for me even if u figure the money i spend on a clutch

Last edited by upstate240sx; 07-17-2008 at 06:42 AM..
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

[quote=McCoy;2174300]There's alittle more response that the DET that I had in my sentra, but overall you can't tell that much difference. no videos yet, not till I get a cage in the car and add a camera mount for track days

DO IT... DO IT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Well, see I wont have to do anything wiring wise just cuz the engines stock to the car. He's basically getting info to......... the question now, will all the oil/water passenger line up if we slapped a DET bottom end and re-use the NA head?
yea the passages will line up. its a perfect fit. u dont neccesarily have 2 use the whole head 2 use the same wiring. basically everything is interchangeable(distributor/plugs/ etc.). also use the DE cams because, if im correct, they are more aggressive than the stock DET.

I GOT 1 QUESTION. WOULD I BE ABLE 2 USE A KA24DE DOWNPIPE/LOWERHEADER TO CONNECT MY NA HEADERS 2 THE CAT/EXHAUST? OR CUSTOM?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
also use the DE cams because, if im correct, they are more aggressive than the stock DET.
This is correct, the S13 DE cams are the same as the early sentra DE cams.

Quote:
I GOT 1 QUESTION. WOULD I BE ABLE 2 USE A KA24DE DOWNPIPE/LOWERHEADER TO CONNECT MY NA HEADERS 2 THE CAT/EXHAUST? OR CUSTOM?
Yes, the KA downpipe/lower header mounts right up to the DE NA header... this is how mine was ran while I was running the car NA.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Yes, the KA downpipe/lower header mounts right up to the DE NA header... this is how mine was ran while I was running the car NA.

ahhh yea... thanx again. i appreciate it.

hope this thread helps out u flip more than it has for me. lol. i didnt mean 2 thread jack.