Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Michigan_S13

Trader Rating: (0)
Michigan_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ka24det 3/12 psi lol

Alright guys so I bought a 91 240sx with the boosted stock block about a month ago. Was running strong at 12 psi when I bought it. Put around 1500 miles on it since then.

Just a few days ago I was driving on the highway and had to make a few passes like a racecar driver so I downshifted. Went from like 55 to 90 mph from 3000~5500ish and then when right as I shifted back to fifth I heard a quietish, but louder than the average afterfire popping sound and saw white smoke puff out of the exhaust and there was also the classic burnt oil smell.

I looked over the head gasket and it was fine. Coolant is fine. Oil is a little overfilled which could have played a part in it. I can hear the turbine in the turbo is a bit off track which results in cringes when I forget to shift before the turbo tries to kick in. It's not terribly loud, not like you can hear it sending metal through shit. Just small clicks like it's tapping metal repeatedly.The vacuum is good at idle and while driving, and when the turbo kicks in it hits up to 3 pounds of boost and just sticks there. The car runs and drives great when you shift like a pussy. Just wanna figure this out so I can spool at some sexy hoes.

This is my first turbo'd car, which I may be dumb for choosing the KA but I'm actually quite excited to fix this shit on my own and learn some things. Plus the torque leaves a smile on my face every time drive it.
Obviously I'm going to replace the turbo and run a check for boost leaks afterwards. I'll also change the oil, oil filter and air filter while I'm at it.

So basically the point of this thread is what's up zilvia, tell me if I've got the right idea or if I'm a dumbass, and make some suggestions if you have anything else you think I should check. Like I said this is my first turbod car, don't have much experience but Im super determined to fix it, and hopefully I'lll learn a few things from you guys while I'm on this forum.
Michigan_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Michigan_S13

Bump..... I wanna be able to drive my car
Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
Remove the intake pipe, check to see if there is oil in the housing, also see if there is any side to side or in and out shaft play on the compressor wheel.

If that checks out, re-install the intake pipe, boost leak test the car, if there is no leaks there double check your wastegate or wastegate actuator to make sure the diaphragm isnt torn.

I would start with checking those few things.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Dirk Jan
Leaky Injector

Dirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of light
Replace turbo and you'll be back "spoolin at them hoes" in no-time m8.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prok0 View Post
Remove the intake pipe, check to see if there is oil in the housing, also see if there is any side to side or in and out shaft play on the compressor wheel.

If that checks out, re-install the intake pipe, boost leak test the car, if there is no leaks there double check your wastegate or wastegate actuator to make sure the diaphragm isnt torn.

I would start with checking those few things.
Yes, follow the steps above.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Michigan_S13

Well I basically took a quick peek under the hood and saw the actuator connector fucking snapped in half. That would explain alot. Short story shorter, I replaced it and I am now back to spoolin at them hoes. Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad it wasn't anything serious
Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_S13 View Post
Well I basically took a quick peek under the hood and saw the actuator connector fucking snapped in half. That would explain alot. Short story shorter, I replaced it and I am now back to spoolin at them hoes. Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad it wasn't anything serious
By connector do you mean the vac line nipple or the acurator arm? I can't think of a scenario where a snapped acurator arm would cause white smoke to pour out the back.

The backfire could have created enough pressure to snap the flapper open and break the arm though. I bet that's what happened.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
Michigan_S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
By connector do you mean the vac line nipple or the acurator arm? I can't think of a scenario where a snapped acurator arm would cause white smoke to pour out the back.

The backfire could have created enough pressure to snap the flapper open and break the arm though. I bet that's what happened.
You are correct sir. I had a feeling that wasn't exactly what it was called lol but apparently you got the idea. The noise it was making at high rpm, which I thought might be turbo, was just the broken arm rattling a little bit.
All good now though