Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #5761
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
So if I were to get the PBM knuckles, my ride height would be unaffected, but my roll center would be changed by 45mm.

Where if I got the DW ones, my ride would drop about 1 3/4 inches AND change my roll center by 45mm.
Precisely, dear Watson.

Wisefab has some combo of drop and control arm movement to get 56mm

My old TDP knuckles had 15mm of hub movement and 55mm of control arm drop for 70mm.

Still waiting on my new knuckles...

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #5762
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Precisely, dear Watson.

Wisefab has some combo of drop and control arm movement to get 56mm

My old TDP knuckles had 15mm of hub movement and 55mm of control arm drop for 70mm.

Still waiting on my new knuckles...
And what are those?
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #5763
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification t...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudermagee View Post
And what are those?
100mm roll center correction TDP knuckles. I'm not sure on how they are formatted as far as how much the hub is raised vs the control arm drop. I will measure when I get them.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #5764
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Roll center height and the amount pivot points are lowered/raised don't change equally, especially not on a macpherson strut
Motary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #5765
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
time for some track testing. The current Australian dollar is good for you guys. The intro price is going to be $199 AUD including our sales tax which is $181AUD excluding our tax = $162USD + delivery.

40mm roll centre correction and a little over 60 degrees of bolt on steering lock.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #5766
Mr_Flamenco

Trader Rating: (0)
Mr_Flamenco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it ready to be shipped to customers?
can you ship it to Muscat, Oman, I guess this is the best option for me for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTECH View Post
time for some track testing. The current Australian dollar is good for you guys. The intro price is going to be $199 AUD including our sales tax which is $181AUD excluding our tax = $162USD + delivery.

40mm roll centre correction and a little over 60 degrees of bolt on steering lock.

Mr_Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #5767
GKTECH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
GKTECH is making a name for him/her selfGKTECH is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flamenco View Post
Is it ready to be shipped to customers?
can you ship it to Muscat, Oman, I guess this is the best option for me for now.
It is still in development. It should be finished in around 2 months time if everything goes to plan.

Sorry we can't help right now.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #5768
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Roll center height and the amount pivot points are lowered/raised don't change equally, especially not on a macpherson strut
Yeah I know, but it's a lot easier to compare by stating the amount they are changed on the knuckle. We haven't all modeled the front suspension like you :P.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #5769
sviellvoicae
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
sviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enoughsviellvoicae will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This thread has so much info it's un real! I have a quick question and probably stupid but I currently run tein inner tie rods with the slip on spacer, s14 moog outters, and poly rack bushings in an s13. My issue is that the steering locks up bad at full lock and I can't figure out why. It's super hard to bring the wheel back after it hits full lock. Is my rack over centering? If so how do I fix this? Sorry but I have only recently got into the steering angle stuff. I've read a lot but haven't found an exact answer to this. Thanks!
sviellvoicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #5770
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^sounds like it. There are a number of things that can help fix this like raise the car, reduce caster, move the steering rack forward (modify xmember or use eccentric bushings like what PBM sells), offset tie rod spacers, or try different knuckles.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #5771
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

stop working on everything else and move this to the front of the line please lol. i really want these asap.
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #5772
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:

Hooray. Money ready.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #5773
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Omg I can't wait for those GKTech jammies.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #5774
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Do these look to be a quality piece? I like the range of adjustment, since I want to run them diagonally, but I do not know anything about bearings or materials and such.

Also, are S-chassis damper shafts generally of a universal diameter? I noticed that most of the upper pillow balls are 18mm ID. I want to try running the Fortune Auto radial top hats. Even if they do not mate up directly, I am sure it should not be too difficult to make them work on most coilovers. Has anyone attempted using them on a non-Fortune coilover yet?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #5775
aca240

aca240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchs14 View Post
stop working on everything else and move this to the front of the line please lol. i really want these asap.
^this, Will you be during a pre-order on these?

Also, Matej, who makes those top hats? I also run my camber plates diagonally and would like some more room for camber/caster. I was thinking about machining my current plates....
aca240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #5776
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Do these look to be a quality piece? I like the range of adjustment, since I want to run them diagonally, but I do not know anything about bearings or materials and such.

Also, are S-chassis damper shafts generally of a universal diameter? I noticed that most of the upper pillow balls are 18mm ID. I want to try running the Fortune Auto radial top hats. Even if they do not mate up directly, I am sure it should not be too difficult to make them work on most coilovers. Has anyone attempted using them on a non-Fortune coilover yet?
The Camber plate looks pretty standard, all things considered, it looks like they used 1/4" Aluminum Plate, probably 6061 since it's the most common, though it could be something else. If it's 6061, it should/will be more than strong enough, if it's not, it could either be weaker or stronger. (generally, 6061 would be the minimum for something like this, with 2000-series or 7000-series being stronger options)

I dig how they notched the bearing mount for clearance at the mounting bolt, that's probably good for another degree or so of adjustment, though I'm not sure if that's really going to be useful unless you're increasing the track width.

The bearing is a shot in the dark, I'd see if they publish the brand and go from there. If it's some random no name brand, the bearing is probably junk - if it's a well known brand (IE QA1, Aurora, etc) I wouldn't worry about it.

The Upper Spring Seat/whatever you call it, might be specific to fortune auto coils - you'd have the take your current coils apart and measure the diameter of the shaft and go from there. If it's smaller, you can probably have a sleeve/spacer machined to make up the difference, but if it's bigger, than you've pretty much got to replace the bearing, which may or may not be reasonable. Edit: I just thought about this some more, and the bearing ID appears to be significantly larger than the strut shaft OD which is why fortune presses that sleeve in there - meaning that you would only need to get a new sleeve made if your strut diameter is different than what it's made for. Odds are you can have any machine shop with a decent lathe knock these out for a couple bucks - on something like this you can pretty much take the existing part in there and say 'I need this, but with a XXmm Diameter hole in it'.

To be completely honest, if I were you, I'd take your upper spring seat that's currently on the Coil overs to a Machine shop or someone that knows CAD/Drafting/Engineering Stuff and have them come up with one that works with your coil overs. To be quite honest, it's not a difficult part to design or make, if I had all of the required data in front of me, I could draw it up in ~1hr give or take.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #5777
Matej
Post Whore!

Thanks for the information. The camber plate is by a company named Dibed from Poland, though they also sell on Ebay. They mostly make parts for BMW drifting.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dibed/334916316552003

I looked more into top hat options that rotate independently of the upper pillow ball bearing since it seems that it would be beneficial for ease of steering when the spring/upper bearing is under heavy load, especially when it comes to an activity such as drifting.
Apparently people in the 240SX racing community have been into such things:
Camber Plate Design - Nissan Road Racing Forums

Last edited by Matej; 09-01-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #5778
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I know BC racing gives an option for a top hat with caster and camber independant plates. I dont know if they sell them individually, but you may want to check it.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #5779
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Those are indeed sold individually
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #5780
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Here's the early model look on the tension rod I would like to manufacture and sell:

Currently it is not with a double adjuster, but it there is demand it will be introduced.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome

For pricetag, I am thinking 150 USD as intro price
Old 09-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #5781
Mr_Flamenco

Is there a version that will fit S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
Here's the early model look on the tension rod I would like to manufacture and sell:

Currently it is not with a double adjuster, but it there is demand it will be introduced.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome

For pricetag, I am thinking 150 USD as intro price
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #5782
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

It is for S13
Old 09-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #5783
Mr_Flamenco

When is the release Date
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #5784
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
slidewayz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First working prototypes are finished.

After just a few miles of normal street driving on these things I can feel a huge difference in the amount of front grip on turn in. First track day testing will be on Sept. 14th.
slidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #5785
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flamenco View Post
When is the release Date
About a month
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #5786
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I run FA upper plates on my koni 8610 setup -- just have to play the bushing swap game, at least for konis. The shafts on the konis are 14mm and the ID of the bushing that comes with plates is 12mm so I had to get some bushings from McMaster-Carr to make it work.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #5787
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx

Lower control arm is definitely limiting the angle you can get from these.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #5788
Chris28
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Chris28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Managed to break an LCA at the track this past weekend, debating on what direction to head next. I want a spherical bearing on the subframe side, but I'm hesitant to modify oem arms after this past weekend. I'm thinking about giving this product a try:

My biggest concerns right now are that the ball joint cup isn't welded on at an angle, and he says he's using screw-in ball joints, which I wasn't aware existed in s13 diameter and taper. I'm not too concerned about the lack of a sway bar mount, that can be added later. He also has shims for the tension rod misalignment spacers, so biding isn't an issue while adjusting caster. As far as I know they haven't been tested on a car yet, I'd like to get some feedback from other drivers.

Motary's tension rod looks promising, it might convince me to stay with a stock style LCA.
Chris28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #5789
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
My take on these arms is they are nothing special. Look at the tubing...it is just ESW tube with a nut welded to it. The welding looks suspect also.
Why not run modded stock control arms...My buddies car had a small run in with the wall and he broke the Battle Version weld in adjuster that I installed. Now that being said the adjuster gave up and saved the cross member just like it was supposed to. Next time I will have a spare set of FLCA's as this ended the day.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #5790
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

THose look insanely heavy! I remember when I made my single piece arms that about 65% of the original mass was machined off after they had been laser cut. The tension side tubing looks fine, stress is mainly on the rod end body.