Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
coolsupermanfly

Trader Rating: (0)
coolsupermanfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First car

So I'm 18 and getting a car soon. A family member is buying the car for me with a budget of 8k. The car I want is an s13 (which is my dream car). My family member recommends getting a mini truck (ex: 2005 ford ranger). To be honest, a mini truck would be nice, but I have the chance to get my dream car so why not take that chance?

I've looked around on the internet for some 240s and found this:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27063401&Log=0

I had one of my friends (who's a mechanic and works on cars like these) look at the pictures. He said it's in good condition and I should get it. He also mentioned that he would help fix it if it breaks.

What do you think?

Now before you go on saying you shouldn't get the car because you're a stupid teen and blah blah blah, just know that I want the car for the looks. I also want to improve my driving skill on the road for lower insurance bills and accomplish my dream of becoming a skilled driver. I don't text and drive. Additionally, I don't want to get into accidents and wreck my dream car. I can't handle accidents easily either (idk why). After I was in a fender bender accident with a family member behind the wheel, I became traumatized and now my adrenaline kicks in every time I stop behind someone.

How I discovered the 240 (just felt like adding this in):
So I started playing NFS Carbon Own the City (for PSP). After finishing the tutorial races the game made me buy my own car. The first option was a Mazdaspeed 3. I thought wow that's nice and pressed the next button. As soon as I pressed it I could feel my heart beat like I just saw my crush. The 240 was sitting there in front of me and I just stared at it open-mouthed. I couldn't believe this beautiful car existed. After staring at it for about a minute, I went to the third option wondering if that one was even better. It turned out to be an Evo so I just went back to the 240 and bought it. I then remembered that this was a racing game so was supposed to buy the car with the best performance, not looks (woops lol). Was I mad? Absolutely not. It's one of the slowest cars in the game, but it is the most appealing car in the game.
coolsupermanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #2
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
approved post
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
its just a car, and a secretary's car at that.

the amount that dealer is asking is highway robbery, no way i would ever pay that much for a stock 240sx. it may be cleaned up and in fairly well kept condition, but its still an old heap of junk and parts are getting harder and harder to get.

with that said, if you really feel like getting it - buy it. but that money would probably be better spent on something newer like a deposit on a BRZ or even a new Miata.

theres nothing wrong with buying and old car like a 240sx. the problem is that there is nothing special about it that makes it superior to some of the newer offerings out there. and when you need to search high and low for a replacement fender or any other random part, the fun will quickly wear away
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
chris_240sx
Zilvia Junkie

chris_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't pay 8k for a bone stock auto S13. It's worth maybe half of that. For 8k you could get a much nicer car, but if you're set on getting a S13 look around for one that is at least somewhat reasonably priced. The more stock, the better.
chris_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What you need to do is find a 240 as close to stock as possible and for 5k or less (depending on tasteful mods)
Then learn to fix the things that ARE going to break. Drive it. Keep gas and fluids in it.

These are old cars, and lots of stuff is going to go wrong and break.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get something newer and reliable and save up for a 240 on your own. Small trucks are good but stay away from rangers. If you can find a good extra cab tacoma go that route.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
I drove an 89 hatchback my senior year.....in 1997. It was old then, it's reaching antique now. Also, who is footing the insurance bill? It's a coupe and you're 18, so insurance is going to suck.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
8k for a stock auto s13 is disgusting.

Offer 3k, considering he probably gave the person $800 for trade in.

for $8,000 go find a 350z and save up a few g's for an s13. trust us, you'll hate your s13 just like the rest of us soon enough.

Also, s13s have the literal worst in cabin heat in the entire world in the summer.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsupermanfly View Post
I also want to improve my driving skill on the road for lower insurance bills...
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
A stock S13 1992 with 140,000 miles is worth $1200~ in good shape. That is what I paid for mine five years ago and its still my max on those cars. Expect to spend another $500~ in maintenance fixing it up really soon, getting your hands dirty learning about it and making novice mistakes. Consider the first one a throw away.

They also get terrible economy, figure 22-25mpg at best. Even with a brand new original engine the max on those cars is 24-25mpg.

Its a good car to beat up, but the economy and age means you really have to love it to keep holding on.
I would buy it as a secondary vehicle, if at all. The newer versions of them (95+) are supposed to be lighter and more advanced, they also hold their value better. I would pay $2500 for a clean 95' with 130k miles. And my max on 97-98 is about $4400 for the same deal. It better have a clean dash and an automatic trans.

I wrote a "how to buy a 240sx" thread on here somewhere if you get a chance to read through it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Theres a minty stock red manual s13 coupe in the for sale section right now asking $4500.

$8000 is rediculously high.
I bought mine a couple years ago thats exactly like the autotrader ad, paid $1900 for it.

Like others are saying, these cars are getting REALLY old and require constant repair and maintenance. If you can afford that in both time and money (including tools) then go for it. If not $8000 is a really nice down payment on a newer daily driver thatll last longer and take you places more reliably, then save up and start a 240 project on the side when you arent relying on it. That's just my $.02 for what its worth.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with everyone else, that car is incredibly overpriced. If it had 10000 miles and was absolutely mint and optioned, ehh... but it's over priced by 4-5k. You can get quite a bit of car for 8 grand nowadays. Or throw that as a down payment on a Kia Soul and pay like 60 bucks a month on it. Haha.

If anything, find one in good shape from a private party, pay 4k max, make a mechanic look it over, and keep the rest for when stuff breaks. and if you think a bone stock s13 240 is the sexiest car alive, check out some other stuff in that price range.. I'm looking for a new daily and have found a lot of nice stuff for 8k.
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
When I was 17 I bought an old Nissan, not a 240, but a 300zx Z32. I loved the look of the car and just wanted it. I was blinded by how much I wanted the car and looked past so many issues it had. It was probably the WORST financial decision I have ever made.

With that said, I fell in love with the car. Working on it taught me everything I know now along with other great lessons when it comes to patience and money managment. I wouldn't be where I am today without that shitty Z32.

I own an 89 S13 coupe now and it has been on the road for maybe 2 months out of the year I have owned it. They are not reliable, bottom line. If you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, go find a decent S13 (the one you linked is way overpriced) and get to work, it'll be worth it if you can put the effort in to make it a great car again.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Nothing against daily driving a completely stock 240. They are extremely reliable, somewhat fuel efficient, and low cost to own/operate.

Thing is, when something goes wrong (and it will), you have to take into account the cost of the replacement part and labor if you're not doing the work yourself.

There's plenty of newer 2007+ cars you can find with a budget of $8,000.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
somewhat fuel efficient, and low cost to own/operate.
This is the only thing I tend to disagree (its a personal point of view). I sold my all original 97 with 54,000 miles because it only put down 25mpg. And I am not swapping out an engine with 54k forget it. The only choice I had was to sell or deal with the horrible economy.

There are civics you can buy for $4500 that get 38mpg+

I DO agree that a 240sx is one of the easiest cars to work on, easy to deal with trouble and diagnose when it happens. There are also tons of spare/used parts on the 'market' so this makes up for a lot of the economy costs. And they ARE very reliable, if you use all the OEM parts including airbox. Its just that shit economy.... thats the only thing that drives me bonkers. I can get better economy 28mpg+ with 600bhp 5.3L V8 twin turbo engine and go 10's with it on street tires, using an all OEM bottom end that cost $600 from a junkyard.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Second visit to thread thoughts:

My number 1 rule is don't daily something you want to mod.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^
Yea this is a rule I wish I had learned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
This is the only thing I tend to disagree (its a personal point of view). I sold my all original 97 with 54,000 miles because it only put down 25mpg. And I am not swapping out an engine with 54k forget it. The only choice I had was to sell or deal with the horrible economy.

There are civics you can buy for $4500 that get 38mpg+

I DO agree that a 240sx is one of the easiest cars to work on, easy to deal with trouble and diagnose when it happens. There are also tons of spare/used parts on the 'market' so this makes up for a lot of the economy costs. And they ARE very reliable, if you use all the OEM parts including airbox. Its just that shit economy.... thats the only thing that drives me bonkers. I can get better economy 28mpg+ with 600bhp 5.3L V8 twin turbo engine and go 10's with it on street tires, using an all OEM bottom end that cost $600 from a junkyard.

I averaged 30mpg on my s14 with 90K. Tested over several weeks with lots of tank. Best I got was 32 worst was 25. I learned that over 75mph the car just eats gas. Keep it under 75 and 30 was easy.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
coolsupermanfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Note: I was sleepy when I wrote that thing.

I meant to say that I want to be a good driver with a clean record. Because of that, I won't need to worry about high insurance bills.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #19
coolsupermanfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Second visit to thread thoughts:

My number 1 rule is don't daily something you want to mod.
The only mods I will add are security systems to prevent the car from being stolen. I'm surprised people mod their dailys, and it's a horrible choice unless they have another mode of transportation.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
coolsupermanfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
I just want to be a good driver so I have low insurance bills.

Note: I replied to this before but it said waiting approval by mod, idk why, but the other reply may show up later.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The only mods I will add are security systems to prevent the car from being stolen. I'm surprised people mod their dailys, and it's a horrible choice unless they have another mode of transportation.
Thats a good mindset. If you can refrain from modifying the car, an S13 will make a great daily and first car. Working on them is simple and if you want to start learning how to wrench yourself, there really isn't a better car to start with.

Trust me though, you'll want to modify it...
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
wanadrift

wanadrift is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have 8k to spend could you possible save up a bit more and look into a car from the importers? They often have really well maintained lower mileage s13s for not much more.
wanadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #23
coolsupermanfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanadrift View Post
If you have 8k to spend could you possible save up a bit more and look into a car from the importers? They often have really well maintained lower mileage s13s for not much more.
But don't imports have rhd instead of lhd (I never bothered to research on importing a car)?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
..I've looked around on the internet for some 240s and found this:
What do you think?.
So what exactly is your question? Should your first car be your dream car? - Sure.
Should it be that horrendously ovepriced one? - NO.

Like they say... "If you have to ask..."
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #25
wkpainter

wkpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
If your dream car is a bone stock s13 you need new dreams. Don't lie to yourself, you are going to want to mod it. Buy a mazda 3, honda civic or toyota corolla. When people ask me what kind of cool car they should i buy i tell them "DON'T!" An s13 is a money pit. Cool cars are money pits. Buy a car that you can crash and get a decent check from the insurance company for. If you wreck the s13 they will give you 1300 bucks. All that money will be thrown away.
wkpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Yea. These cars have moved to toy status. Which is why I have an s14 for goofing off and the occasional drive to work, and a dd truck.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #27
coolsupermanfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Theres a minty stock red manual s13 coupe in the for sale section right now asking $4500.
Could you post the link to it please? I can't find that s13 in autotrader for some reason..
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Look in the forum cars for sale section
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #29
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
but stay away from rangers.
Correction, stay away from automatic and/or 3.0 rangers. 4cyl 5spd and 4.0v6 5 spds are the way to go... But yeah, if you have 8k, buy the newest tacoma you can buy cash... Rangers are for poor folk with sub 4k budgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
If not $8000 is a really nice down payment on a newer daily driver
A few people have mentioned this... DO NOT buy a vehicle unless you can pay cash for it. Especially your first car. Nothing in life is certain, a car payment is an unnecessary expense. Buy something you can afford and save, when you have enough saved to upgrade, trade/sell your daily and upgrade. If you lose your job or get extremely ill and can't work, you don't have a car payment to worry about AND you can dip into that "upgrade daily" fund to keep food in your stomach and a roof over your head.

Normally I'd agree with the "buy a mini truck" idea. But these cars are getting older and wrecked everyday... That one you posted may be the average price in 2-3 years when you've saved enough to buy one. I say go for the 240sx (NOT THAT ONE) if you really want it. Drive it and improve your skill, don't be a jackass on the street.... Especially in front of people. Then buy another car before you start modding it, so you'll have an alternative mode of transportation.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #30
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As a matter of technicality, OEM parts aren't truly mods. So once you get your auto S13 hatch I'm going to need for you to swap in a stock SR with manual transmission and put on a Type X kit.
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote