Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
Sidwayz

Trader Rating: (0)
Sidwayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beginner Drifter - Did terrible after changing rear tires during the break

Hey everyone, so over the weekend I attended my 4th drift event of the summer. Its my first year and I'm looking for advice on picking rear tire stickiness. I was on some sport Continental tires (Y grade, hard not very sticky, 245 width) for the past three and a half events and I was doing really well, connecting everything, I was really confident. Last event I went through them and switched to my spares, Achilles ATR Sport 2 in a 235 width, they were a recommended tire, W rating and fairly sticky. I couldn't believe how much stickier they were! It totally threw me off and I did pretty bad for the rest of the event. Do I go back to the not so sticky tire because I'm better that way? I drive an s14 making 400whp.. Feel like I should be "re-learning" on the stickier stuff. Thanks all!

Last edited by Sidwayz; 08-16-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Sidwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #2
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
135 and 145 width? Do you mean 235 and 245?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
pretty sure you meant 235 and 245, but anyways

a sticky tire is going to mean more forward bite, and you'll have to overpower it to keep it broken loose. the way you drive and the way you WANT to drive is going to be the deciding factor. if your goal is to be a FD driver or competition driver, you for sure want to be getting used to a grippy setup. Personally my style is way more "cruise through this course and have fun". Imagine a longboarder on a wave vs a downhill slalom skier.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Sidwayz

Oops, yes that's what I meant. I understand what you mean, when I was on the not so sticky tires I definitely felt like i was cruising, not going hard or producing much tire smoke. But with these stickier tires I'm forced to drive hard to keep them loose. Its difficult, but I'll work at it. Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidwayz View Post
Oops, yes that's what I meant. I understand what you mean, when I was on the not so sticky tires I definitely felt like i was cruising, not going hard or producing much tire smoke. But with these stickier tires I'm forced to drive hard to keep them loose. Its difficult, but I'll work at it. Thanks
seat time is by far the best tool you could have. fortunately for you, ClubFR is in your area and many of those dudes have over a decade of experience and are more than willing to give pointers. I know simba and his staff are always willing to help.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The tread wear number will be what you want to pay attention to. Try a few different compounds and see what feels good. If you want to be consistent then obviously try and run the same tires over and over, but if you are doing a lot of tandem and trying to catch up to people mid drift, then wider and stickier is better.

Either way just get out there and huck your car around on all kinds of tires. That way you slowly get used to different rubber compounds and are ready for anything.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Sidwayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
seat time is by far the best tool you could have. fortunately for you, ClubFR is in your area and many of those dudes have over a decade of experience and are more than willing to give pointers. I know simba and his staff are always willing to help.
Yeah they're an awesome group of guys! I've made it out to most of their events this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Sidwayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by A DOG 406 View Post
The tread wear number will be what you want to pay attention to. Try a few different compounds and see what feels good. If you want to be consistent then obviously try and run the same tires over and over, but if you are doing a lot of tandem and trying to catch up to people mid drift, then wider and stickier is better.

Either way just get out there and huck your car around on all kinds of tires. That way you slowly get used to different rubber compounds and are ready for anything.
I agree, thanks. I'll have to pay more attention to the tread wear number. And yes my goal is to run the same tire

Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Blk96t
Leaky Injector

Blk96t is an unknown quantity at this point
Stick with the 245's that are somewhat grippy and play with the tire pressure.
Personally I always start at 32 psi. Depending on track conditions/temps. I will adjust up or down. Up to 10 psi either way.
You can also adjust your coilover dampening to dial in grip levels.
Blk96t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Sidwayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk96t View Post
Stick with the 245's that are somewhat grippy and play with the tire pressure.
Personally I always start at 32 psi. Depending on track conditions/temps. I will adjust up or down. Up to 10 psi either way.
You can also adjust your coilover dampening to dial in grip levels.
I'm glad you said something, I haven't played around with psi like I should be. I started at 36psi and didn't touch it after that. Guess I was too wrapped up in the learning process when I could've been making it easier for myself.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
ATR Sport 2's are nuts grippy. They treadware number doesn't really apply as those tires specifically melt and turn to crazy glue. You can see how they burn after taking them off, it's completely different to other tires. I was a huge fan of them but they aren't really available anymore.

Number 1 is tire pressure. Power to grip ratio is everything. Don't be afraid to hit all the way up to the 80s.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
taeisbeast
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
taeisbeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
ATR Sport 2's are nuts grippy. They treadware number doesn't really apply as those tires specifically melt and turn to crazy glue. You can see how they burn after taking them off, it's completely different to other tires. I was a huge fan of them but they aren't really available anymore.

Number 1 is tire pressure. Power to grip ratio is everything. Don't be afraid to hit all the way up to the 80s.

Thanks for that tip man, I knew about tire pressure, just didn't think we could take it up that high and be efficient
taeisbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeisbeast View Post
Thanks for that tip man, I knew about tire pressure, just didn't think we could take it up that high and be efficient
Efficient is making it through the course without any errors, so whatever your car can handle. I know some corolla guys with negative horse power numbers run triple digit PSI numbers in the rear on full track fast stuff. Grip to power ratio, then once you have infinite power like FD cars it's grip to wheel speed (and now tire longevity, making them last 2 runs).
Old 08-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
Sidwayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post

I'm glad someone else experienced how grippy they are! Also, great info, that's good to know.

What exactly am I looking for in tread ware? Do you recommend a certain grade/number or tire?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Blk96t
Leaky Injector

Blk96t is an unknown quantity at this point
300's are good. Not hard and not too soft.
I've had a few ATR's. Great tires. Awesome grip, good smoke. Been running cheepo ns20's lately. But I bought 4 255 40 17 ATR's a couple weeks ago. I'm really looking forward to using them!
Blk96t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
dino6192
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ya, like A DOGG said, pay attention to the treadwear number. I personally like Federal 595 in the rear and something sticky up front. kinda sucks when you have high grips on the rear, unless your putting down tons of power and have something with more grip up front, otherwise you might end up with some understeer from pushing the fronts around the track with all that grip in the rear.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
OP's got 400 whp. So I'd say 200-300TW would be ideal, depending on the width. Stickier tire will need less width and vice versa.

I was at 320 whp and ran a 235/40R17 300TW in the rear, and 200TW up front in the same size.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #18
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I ran Federal 595SS in 215/45/17 front and back of my car this weekend, dyno'd at 327hp/345tq.
32psi front, 27 psi rear, dampers at 1/4 stiffness. It felt surprisingly sticky considering the tarmac wasn't much warmer than 65*F or so.

Last time I was in an s-chassis, I ran a 225/45/17 ATR2 at 28psi on hot tarmac (same track as last weekend). I'd say the ATR2's felt more loose than the Federals I was running on the new car.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #19
schassis240

schassis240 is a well-known jackass
lol..its a good workout
schassis240 is offline   Reply With Quote