Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Factory turbos

I sometimes find myself digging up this post to answer questions, so here it is where I won't have to look so damned hard for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmonster View Post
Okay, I have posted this info before but it is always helpfull. Mods, if you read this, sticky might be good so that people have a stock turbo guide for nissan engines.

And yes the 300z has dual t-25

GARRETT T25
They are from the small series of turbochargers specifically engineered for original-equipment small-capacity engines, have their roots in the ET Pulsar, and culminate in a 'twin' application on the 300ZX twin-turbo VG30DETT. In single form, they are not recommended for performance applications.

Car of Origin: Nissan S13 Silvia/180SX
Engine: CA18DET
Flange: Four-bolt; it fits most Nissan four-cylinder turbo engines
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 130kW
Max. Boost: 1.0bar (14.5psi)
Cover Size: Exhaust 0.48 AR, compressor 0.49 AR
Comments: A small and reasonably ineffiecient turbocharger that should only really be used as a straight fit for an existing CA18DET engine to replace a failed unit. It's not recommended as a bolt-on for a normally aspirated engine of more than 1600cc.
Cost: Normally quite expensive, $450+ due to the replacement demand in the normal service industry for these turbocharger
Rating: One out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan PS13 Silvia/180SX
Engine: SR20DET
Flange: Same as above
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 160kW
Max. Boost: 1.2bar (17.4psi)
Cover Size: Exhaust 0.64 AR, compressor 0.60 AR
Comments: Improved flowing version of the CA18DET turbo makes it a great straight-fit bolt-on to the CA series, but becomes borderline on even a lightly modified SR20 engine. That the S14 series of cars moved to using a bigger T28-style unit is testimony to this.
Cost: Again, being a straight fit for all of the 2-litre turbo imports makes them an in-demand unit and pushes their cost through the roof. $550+ makes them expensive, but they are a great fit-up for a lightly tuned S13 CA18DET
Rating: Two out of five.

GARRETT T28
The next size up from the T25, the T28 series of turbochargers are more serious items. They are used in twin form on the Nissan Skyline GT-R and singularly on the Pulsar GTi-R, S14 and S15 series Silva/200SX. They make a decent upgrade for the S13 series of cars when more than 150kW are reliably expected to be produced.

Car of Origin: Nissan S14 200SX pre-1996
Flange: Four-bolt, same as the T25 series.
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 170kW
Comments: The ultimate OE bolt-up to the S13 series of cars, the best part is that it bolts straight on. A good little all-round mid-range turbocharger that has proven itself to be extremely reliable in service.
Cost: Expensive due to their fitment to an Australian-delivered car. Their price starts at $650 for a second-hand unit.
Rating: Three out of five

JDM Vehicles only, not relevean to the UK S14a
Car of Origin: Nissan S14 200SX post-1996, S15
Flange: Four-bolt, the same as the T25 series
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 170kW or slightly more
Comments: While the housing are the same as the earlier S14 turbocharger, the latter item has sophisticated Garrett ball-bearing internals, which guarantee a faster ramp-up to boost than the previous model. This is the pick of the T28 series.
Cost: They're hard to find second hand due to the relative scarcity of the S14 black rocker cover engines. Normally, you are best off to buy these new from a turbo supplier.
Rating: Four out of five

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R32, R33 GT-R
Engine: RB26DETT
Flange: Four-bolt, the same as the T25 series
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 150kW
Max. Boost: 1.3bar (18.8psi)
Cover Size: Exhaust 0.48 AR, compressor 0.60 AR
Comments: They are really only good for use on stock GT-R engines due to their relatively small exhaust housing. For some reason, they seem to be able to handle more boost before turbine failure, but there are still plenty that have let go.
Cost: Anything with a GT-R part number is expensive!
Rating: Two out of five

GARRETT RB20/25 SERIES
Even though many tuners refer to the RB20 and VG30 (single) turbochargers as being a T3, this is not the case. Being a Nissan-branded item and having only Nissan identification markings on them (no AR markings etc.) can make identification difficult. All of the ball-bearing turbos have a telltale 'fatter' centre core section, as well as a bolt through the centre housing, which looks as though it has an effect on the thrust bearing pre-load. Overall, these turbos are very good performers.

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R31 GTS
Engine: RB20DET NICS (ribbed rocker cover)
Flange: Four bolt T3 style
Max. Power Rating: 140kW
Cover Size: AR not identified
Comments: A poor-performing turbocharger that was only used on a handful of engines by Nisan before being replaced with the newer technology ball-bearing units. Top-end power is far from good, and the actual response (boost-response time) is also quite poor. It's one to steer away from.
Cost: Dirt-cheap, as they are not in any demand. They have been seen to be as low as $100.
Rating: One out of five

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t
Engine: RB20DET ECCS (silver rocker cover)
Max. Power Rating: 160kW
Comments: A big step in the right direction from both Nissan and Garrett. A truely nice turbocharger, complete with modern aerodynamics and ball bearing construction. It's a perfect choice to get the best from an internally stock, standard injector/management set-up. On a CA18 with a custom manifold, they are really good things.
Cost: Reasonable, with some examples floating around the importers for as little as $400. You have to be quick thoughm as they tend to sell fairly quickly.
Rating: Four out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan Skyline R33 GT25-T
Engine: RB25DET
Max. Power Rating: Approximately 185kW
Comments: The big daddy of the range makes the RB25 turbocharger good for almost any mild six-cylinder application. Sparkling boost response in the low-rpm range and a reasonably hard-hitting top end make this the most common upgrade found on the RB20DET. It's highly recommended.
Cost: Being very difficult to get hold of makes them highly variable in price. Sometimes about $700, sometimes more.
Rating: Five out of five.

Car of Origin: Nissan Gloria, 300ZX
Engine: VG30DET
Flange: Four-bolt T3 style
Max. Power Rating: 190kW
Comments: Apparently, these are slightly larger in exhaust housing size than the RB25, but have a fractionally smaller and different trim compressor. Information on these is sketchy, but due to their almost unknown application they are easier to find than the RB25 roller. A good choice, particularly if you put the RB25 compressor and cover straight on. In excess of 200kW have been produced with this combination.
Cost: Fractionally cheaper than the RB25 turbo and not as hard to get. They have been advertised at $650.
Rating: Four out of five

And I write too!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
driftenthusiast
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
driftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to alldriftenthusiast is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How can you tell the difference between a 1995-1996 S14 SR20 and an 1997-1998 S14 Sr20? Are there differeny numbers on the turbo because the 1997-1998 is BB?

nissan tech
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
1995 came bb also. the s15 had a different turbo for a the spec r vs the automatic version. the automatic s15 came without the divider (an s14 bb). my 1995 s14 had a bb on it
Old 03-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
my question for this is

if i wanna upgrade my CA (stock t25) turbo to an s14 better yet an s15 BB t28

what problems would i run into

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
ca is a bastard child but i still like them too bad i dont know a whole lot about them.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this list needs some serious updating, there are soo many oem turbos out for nissans its scary. ill look into it
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'll add some information on the GTiR T28, which isn't listed here.

Car of Origin: Nissan Pulsar GTiR, 1990-94
Flange: T2 four-bolt, the same as the T25 series
Max. Power Rating: ~220kW (~300hp)
Max. Boost: ~1.2bar (17.4psi)
Cover Size: Exhaust 0.86 AR, compressor 0.60 AR
Comments: T3 Super60 compressor housing, larger .86 A/R exhaust housing over the S14 T28. Good upgrade in place of the S13 SR's standard T25. Lag is more pronounced, but top end is much improved. Replacing the compressor cover with one from an S14 T28 yields increased potential to around 240kW (~320hp). Center section is journal bearing as opposed to the ball bearing CHRA used in the S14 and S15 T28s.
Cost: Somewhat difficult to find, fairly popular as an upgrade with the RWD SR crowd. Expect to pay ~$400 for one in good condition.
Rating: Four out of five???
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

it seems there were many variations due to the fact that AU, JP, and the UK all got different little changes but due to that you have to know a little about the turbo you have like the ball bearing t28 on the early s14 as well as a journal bearing t28?(this i know nothing about since i didn't have one, but other apparently did)

Last edited by bigOdom1; 03-04-2008 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: 1000 posts bitches in just over two years
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigOdom1 View Post
ca is a bastard child but i still like them too bad i dont know a whole lot about them.

well i asked...because th eone thign i didnt count on was when i was getting my exhaust upgrade...when they did my downpipe (HKS) they had to cut the flange...and rotate it to fit the CA's flange...which made me cringe a little

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r