Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Garage Skidz

Trader Rating: (0)
Garage Skidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR ACL Orbit VS OEM oil pump differences

Bought an ACL Orbit oil pump for my rebuild and looked ok until i started comparing it to stock. seen that a few stamping's and castings were different but didn't think anything of it. then i read a thread about how a 4g63 pump had smaller oil passages so i got worried and started to investigate the internals of the pump.

The biggest difference i noticed was the direction of the oil relief for the pump gear and ring. it was backwards for some reason.

Stock pump

ACL pump

The oil relief is on the left for the stock pump and on the right for the ACL pump. i took the gear and ring out and looked to see if they were installed upside down on both but they are machined to only fit one way. so what is up with this? Im sure it will still work as others have used this pump but i wonder what is the effect of doing this? less or more oil pressure?

Also i found some of the edges on the oil channels were sharper than stock.

Garage Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
One time i had a brand new stock Nissan one and the top was about 5mm lower than the deck height of the block. so it was basically unusable.

I found the P2M ones were basically exact copys of the Nissan OEM ones but with smoother casting.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Its really cool, neat info thank you for sharing
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
mike240s
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mike240s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so im at the point of my build where im putting everything back together and ive been looking for an oil pump and everyone ive talked to said to get an upgraded pump. so now my question is will the oem acl replacement be a valid peice to buy or should i go with something else
mike240s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Garage Skidz

ACL is probably going to be same as stock, cant really upgrade the pump without going to a dry sump style set up. the way oil pump is you cant make it any bigger for more flow.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
mike240s
Leaky Injector

so i asked a question on facebook about upgrading an oil pump and everyone told me i need to but i cant find and definite answer on an upgraded pump. so with a 500hp goal would a oe replacement be good and if not what should i get? i would rather spend the money on an upgrade and have piece of mind but im not sure what to get.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
mike240s
Leaky Injector

the acl orbit pump claims to be high output but i havent seen any reviews on it
Old 02-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Garage Skidz

from the look of it when i took it apart it doesn't seem to have anything that would make it flow better. i may be wrong though. the ring and gear were the same size as stock, I measured the thickness of both.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The ACL/Orbit oil pump for the SR is an OE replacement, it does not flow any more than a brand new OEM pump. The main differences is that the ACL one is cheaper and usually in stock.

Personally I've used these pumps on builds up to about 1,000HP on the SR specifically, past that you're splitting blocks in half and going dry sump.

The only upgraded pump available that would flow more is the SR20VE oil pump which you can only get from the factory if it's in stock and you'll also need a conversion pickup, conversion timing pointer, balancer machined, a spacer for said balancer, and I believe that should be it off the top of my head.

If that sounds a bit excessive blame Nissan's infinite wisdom to integrate the oil pump into the timing cover rather than do it like an LS where it bolts to the block.

Long story short, for your goals the ACL is perfect.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The GTIR oil pump is also an upgrade as it flows more volume than the de/det pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
The ACL/Orbit oil pump for the SR is an OE replacement.
You don't see any issue with the ACL pump having the reliefs machined in the opposite side of the pump gear in comparison to an OEM pump gear? Really weird that they would change something like that.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
mike240s
Leaky Injector

Hanks guys. This has been really helpful
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
The GTIR oil pump is also an upgrade as it flows more volume than the de/det pump.

You don't see any issue with the ACL pump having the reliefs machined in the opposite side of the pump gear in comparison to an OEM pump gear? Really weird that they would change something like that.
I don't have enough time invested in learning about fluid dynamics to give a scientific opinion here, but what I can tell you is that I've seen plenty of SR's running the ACL pumps including my own with no issues so based off of real world applications I see no problems with it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
mike240s
Leaky Injector

alright guys last question has anyone had any experience with the p2m oil pumps??
Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240s View Post
alright guys last question has anyone had any experience with the p2m oil pumps??
I have one, they look to copys of the Nissan item, ive only done about 200 miles on it so cant say it wont explode after 300 miles or not.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
Teambadrun
Zilvia Addict

Teambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to allTeambadrun is a name known to all
If you want to UPGRADE the oil pump, the best upgrade hands down is the GTiR RNN14 Oil Pump (Please, buy OEM new). If you need tips on how to fit it up, i can help with this. This is what we use on our race car and all our builds.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
No matter what you do, WPC treat the gears.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote