Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Royal13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Royal13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quest Alternator SR20 Not Charging

S13 Sr20det w/ Nissan Quest alternator

As the title states, after swapping to this new alternator (tried 2 brand new ones now) I can't get it to excite in order to start charging. The car will just run for a few minutes until it kills the battery. The previous KA alternator worked due to the fact that it would excite by revving to 3k rpm. This new TYC alternator for the Quest doesn't react no matter how high I rev it.

Sounds like the typical exciter circuit generally runs through the battery light on the cluster and reacts to the ignition turning, but the entire car has been re-wired and simplified by Jordan Innovations, and now has no ignition, just a battery kill switch. I've been looking for other ways to excite this thing and am running out of ideas.

I was told to jump the larger white wire on the oem 2 pin connector that plugs into the alternator to +12V with an inline resistor of "a couple hundred ohm". I then tried several 5W resistors ranging from 500ohm down to 20ohm in about 50ohm increments. No luck, battery remains at 12V with car running.

I then tried jumping that larger white wire straight to +12V with no resistor in line. Still no luck

Anybody have any ideas? Is there any known brand that makes a Quest alternator that will excite simply by revving? Happy to buy another alternator if that means putting this issue behind me.

This is what I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Royal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Both wires in the 2-pin plug are required for the alternator to function properly. I believe both are 7.5A fused 12v... At your own risk you can jump both to the alt output post.

Also, wasn't mentioned, is the alternator ground wire hooked up to the back of the case? It goes from the frame to the back of the case and on your old alternator was attached with an 8mm bolt I believe.
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote