Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (-1)
nissantuner22 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nissantuner22
SR20DE Swap Day 1

So I get a late start today, between finding a suitable chain for lifting the old KA out, and finding breakfast. At around noon, I started to remove the junker KA. Took off the hood, undid all the electrical stuff, you know the usual.

Just some things I noticed about removing the KA..

- Jack stands are a must. With the front end up in the air you can get under the vehicle and remove all the stuff you need to down there near the tranny. Gotta make sure you get all those things disconnected.

- Leave the backend of the car on the ground. I read a post saying its a pain in the ass to get the driveshaft off ( the 4 bolts on the diff ) because it spins. If you have rear tires on the car, it dont move. Just get 2 at a time, jack up the the car from the diff, spin the shaft, lower the car, and remove the other 2.

- PB Blaster exhaust related stuff. God damnit I hate rust.

- Watch the power steering lines on removal. I about took them out.

- Leave tranny on, and shifter on, it comes out pretty easy.

So now the motors out of the car, the engine bay is empty, and I found a nice area of rust under the battery, awesome. Gotta fix that first thing, along with cleaning up the engine bay.

Tommorrow consists of detailing the engine bay, dropping in the SR, and trying to make sense of it all.

Will post pics later, not that anyone cares.

Current Project: Operation: N/A SR: 93 Silvia Q SR20DE Engine with go fast goodies. ,
"Common problems 240sx's suffer from are curbs, trees, ditches, and other immovable objects."thx247

"on the tounge... there is no guardrails."- citizen
nissantuner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
sounds like fun. why does everyone do their swaps in the middle of winter? :P
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
TiNMAN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
TiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfectionTiNMAN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TiNMAN
^^sarcasm?

I AM LEGIT.
TiNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiNMAN
^^sarcasm?
my own dumbness. i keep forgetting people live in areas of the country where it isn't 30 degrees at 1pm.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
winter break from school?
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #6
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
I am, a kero heater does magic

though i'm working a little slower, i have a full time job and i don't have my SR yet. driveshaft bolts are a pain but after giving it my all and popping a vein through my forehead, they are off. auto trans was easy to take out and will save me a bunch of headaches with the minimal amount of space i have to work with in my garage....

btw, sorry to hijack your thread....i'm just as excited as you are and need to brag a little...my girlfriend is sick of hearing about it.
sean350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Wait,N/A sr eh? thats pretty cool for an original swap. Major props. What kind of power does that thing lay down?

YOu should post some pics
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

nsn240 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nsn240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71
Wait,N/A sr eh? thats pretty cool for an original swap. Major props. What kind of power does that thing lay down?

YOu should post some pics
im hoping mine should do about 220-250... i dont really know though, itll prob be ~10 psi. Im not exactly sure what his setup will be
nsn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

boosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsn240
im hoping mine should do about 220-250... i dont really know though, itll prob be ~10 psi. Im not exactly sure what his setup will be
Maybe with a DET, but no way on an NA.

boosteds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteds13
Maybe with a DET, but no way on an NA.
i think you'd be surprised... i havent dyno'd it yet, and 250 is probably more than it would hit... but its a pretty quick car, the high compression + boost makes good power. And its cheaper than a det... it does have plenty of disadvantages though (like you listed) Once i get the money, ill probably put a 'real' det in instead
Old 12-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

It's dark out. I ate an entire medium pizza from dominoes, watched the Bills get rolled on ESPN, and now its sleep time. I'll snap some engine pics going in, the engine bay before and after, and some other pics for you guys. I'm gonna run stock for the time being, well almost stock, its got an unorthodox pulley.... get some S4 cams, custom made header, mess around with some ecu tuning... the usual bolt ons

Current Project: Operation: N/A SR: 93 Silvia Q SR20DE Engine with go fast goodies. ,
"Common problems 240sx's suffer from are curbs, trees, ditches, and other immovable objects."thx247

Old 12-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

sounds like fun man. good luck with the swap!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #13
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

but its c-c-cold.

and in summer break you get tons more time.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Awesome. I rock. I managed to bend the shiznit outta a the power steering lines. Thats what I get for listening to my friend tell me it was clear!

Anyhow. The engine is out.

There she is in all her KA glory. It twas a good motor, about 150,000 miles on her, good compression on all cylinders. She will be missed... oh wait no it wont.

So now, onto the engine bay. BEFORE!!

Boom SHAKA LAKA!!!

Ok so I'm not totally done cleaning it up yet. Im hungry. PIZZA time, and a beer.

More pics later, including the SR20DE going in.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
you don't need some custom urethane engine mounts for that setup by any chance? hehehhehehhe if so go check out the group buy section. ( shameless promotion going on here ) hehehehehehe

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #16
Hitawall
BANNED

Hitawall is an unknown quantity at this point
is the n/a sr a dirrect bolt in with no wiring issues ? i would like to toss a few in different cars laying around cause there cheap and there would still be an sr under the hood , but i never read much about anyone installing them . good luck player i hope you reach your goals .....hope to see some pictures soon
Hitawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #17
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitawall
is the n/a sr a dirrect bolt in with no wiring issues ? i would like to toss a few in different cars laying around cause there cheap and there would still be an sr under the hood
not to rag on the n/a, but the sr20det isn't just a sr20de with a turbo slapped on it. if you want to go with the n/a, go for it... but know what you are buying. a sr20de under the hood is not by any means the same thing as an sr20det under the hood.

Quote:
The DET has oil squirter piston coolers
The DET has a bigger oil pump.
The DET has a different front pulley.
The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1).
The DET has bigger injectors.
The DET has direct ignition.
The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end.
The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #18
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

you can either use the ka harness and ecu, or you can use the SR harness and ecu, if you can get your hands on it. its an easier install than a DET by far.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #19
kazuo
Post Whore!

kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissantuner22
you can either use the ka harness and ecu, or you can use the SR harness and ecu, if you can get your hands on it. its an easier install than a DET by far.
Explain how a SR20DE installation is easier than a SR20DET.
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #20
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

/hijack

I must be a damn fool. For some reason I thought the maxima clutch kit i got would have the correct throw out bearing. Needless to say, the project came to a screeching halt till 10 am tommorrow, when my throw bearing comes in. Damnit.

So the engine bay is pretty clean at least. The SR is just sitting... waiting...

The SR came with a power steering pump, can I use that one? I know I got the dual overhead engine, so the pump can be used and all, but I'm just curious if that works on the motor.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
/hijack
The SR came with a power steering pump, can I use that one? I know I got the dual overhead engine, so the pump can be used and all, but I'm just curious if that works on the motor.
im pretty sure you can, just use the de lines... i havent hooked mine up cuase im missing something in the pump though
Old 12-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #22
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
Quote:
/hijack

I must be a damn fool. For some reason I thought the maxima clutch kit i got would have the correct throw out bearing. Needless to say, the project came to a screeching halt till 10 am tommorrow, when my throw bearing comes in. Damnit.

So the engine bay is pretty clean at least. The SR is just sitting... waiting...

so im guessing you bought a oem replacment using a 89 maxima clutch?? did the place you buy the clutch from give you the wrong one? or does the throw out bearing just not work?

and btw...did you prep the sr? such as change the heater hoses in the back of the engine and plug up the avi hole or something?

(i just started to do a sr swap too)
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #23
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Damn, me and my freind are SR20DE'ing his car too right now, almost done. It was decent.
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #24
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

ah cool Jobestudios. You run the KA harness and ECU, or opt for the SR ecu and harness? any unforseen issues with the swap?

Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 PM   #25
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Its for an 89 maxima, correct.

The throw out bearing is different in size to the KA or SR one. Different clip design as well. They didn't give me the wrong one, they gave me the maxima one, which is what i purchased. I was just an idiot and forgot u cant use it.

I switched up the heater hoses to run to the passanger side of the car. I bought 2 step downs from 5/8's to 3/4 so I can just plug it into the existing firewall hoses. Pretty trick. Also did all the tune up work on the engine, and put a new water pump on. Should be good to go. AIV is on the motor still, undecided what to do with that. My big deal right now is hope I didnt drive the bus to bad on the power steering lines.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 AM   #26
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
Quote:
Its for an 89 maxima, correct.

The throw out bearing is different in size to the KA or SR one. Different clip design as well. They didn't give me the wrong one, they gave me the maxima one, which is what i purchased. I was just an idiot and forgot u cant use it.

I switched up the heater hoses to run to the passanger side of the car. I bought 2 step downs from 5/8's to 3/4 so I can just plug it into the existing firewall hoses. Pretty trick. Also did all the tune up work on the engine, and put a new water pump on. Should be good to go. AIV is on the motor still, undecided what to do with that. My big deal right now is hope I didnt drive the bus to bad on the power steering lines.
o ok.... i see... so what kind of throw out did you get that works?
-thanks
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #27
kiss my bumper
BANNED

Trader Rating: (4)
kiss my bumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
lmao your just starting that swap. lol.

i just threw 3 bearing in my sr20de engin today on my way to a drift event. time for sr20det !!!
kiss my bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #28
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

93 KA works just fine

and ya, im just starting the swap. Working 40 hour weeks with college wasn't allowing much time to swap it.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #29
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
So, why are you replace a working 2.4L with a smaller 2.0L?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #30
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh how I love the fan boys. I'm replacing my old KA, with 150,000 miles, with a less milage, cleaner, more mechanically sound, easier to boost package. If I want to upgrade to a turbo later, it will literally take me no time to do, and on top of that, the aftermarket for the SR in terms of cams, pistons, anything internal, is far better than the KA. I'm by no means a KA basher, but I prefer a smooth reving engine over a low torque monster. Its personal preference, and a stock SR20DE is comparable in stock form to a KA24DE. Sooo. ya.

And on a sidenote, the throwout bearing for a 93 and up KA24DE WILL NOT FIT on an SR tranny. Nor is it in fact, the stock replacement. According to Autozone, Advance, and Central Auto, the stock KA24DE throw out bearing is not the right one. I had to cross reference the part number on my old SR and KA engine, and it came up with the stock 89-90 KA24E engine instead. So for those looking to use a KA throw out bearing, you have to use a KA24E throw out, or make sure you cross reference your old one, or you WILL get the wrong part at the parts store.