Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Jhester
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Jhester is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jhester Send a message via Yahoo to Jhester
s13 Starter Wiring

Hi there im currently in the process of correcting the previous owners wire hack. Ive relocated the Battery cables to the engine bay in preps for a new braille battery. After connecting everything back I may be missing Something. The car will apply acc power and the fuel pump initializes (sorta..it groans.) but when the starter never turns. It did previously to relocation though.

Take a look...
Not sure if this connection is related to an Interlock relay.It is Black with yellow stripe. I have no clue where it connects.

Here is the rewired Starter power. I ran a cable from Starter Pos (+) to terminal.

The orange wire is connected to side of the starter button. There is a blue wire not shown connected to other terminal opposing orange and then the Grnd is to Body.

Any insight or help would be greatly Appreciated.
Jhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Couple of questions to start:

1) What year is the body?

2) What engine?

3) Is the body auto or manual?

4) How did you wire your start button?

5) Are you running a stock ECU or a standalone? The stock ECU needs to see current on the start signal pin as well. It may not affect the starter's ability to crank, but the ECU needs to know when you're trying to start the car.

6) Why did you not use the stock starter wire already in the lower harness? The only modification you need to make is to run the positive wire from the battery to the positive terminal at the front.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
The single Black/Yellow wire is supposed to connect to the starter solenoid where you have the custom connector for the start button.

What's all this?

Quote:
There is a blue wire not shown connected to other terminal opposing orange and then the Grnd is to Body.
What blue wire? What terminal opposing orange? What ground? Ground of what?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Jhester
Leaky Injector

Its a 1990 with Sr20det redtop. Manual. Starter button is wired what appears to be negative . Using Stock ECU. The original setup from the guy i bought it from has the primary starter wire running to the battery via a splitter with exposed metal to grnd. so i rewired using single primary wire to terminal.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Jhester
Leaky Injector

there is a blue wire running from ecu pass. compt to one small terminal on the opposite side of the orange wire in the picture. there other post on the starter is grounded to body.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhester View Post
Starter button is wired what appears to be negative
What does this mean? Is the stock ignition switch intact? What happened to the ignition switch harness?

This is why I don't recommend people doing their own wiring if they don't know what's going on. That's most likely the right way to do a start button.

Quote:
The original setup from the guy i bought it from has the primary starter wire running to the battery via a splitter with exposed metal to grnd.
Battery splits to what? Then to starter? What happened to the split?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
there is a blue wire running from ecu pass. compt to one small terminal on the opposite side of the orange wire in the picture. there other post on the starter is grounded to body.
I still don't know what's going on.

There is a blue wire coming out of the ECU? Which pin on the ECU?

This blue wire goes to the small terminal? Small terminal where? Opposite what orange wire?

What other post on the starter?

You just restated what you said originally. What does "that" and "opposite" refer to? Please state clearly what wire goes to where.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Jhester
Leaky Injector

im going to trace the wires back from the switch and from the starter. Ill let you know what i find. where u located at in va btw?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Jhester
Leaky Injector

Update...one post of the starter goes to pos the other post is grounded to block. There is one terminal on starter wire to switch . Other side of switch goes to ground. Is this wrong?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Jhester
Leaky Injector

Hey there. This is the wiring setup.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
g6civcx
Post Whore!

I'm in NoVA.

First, you need to figure out what every single connector on the starter does.

Second, why is your starter solenoid with Black/Yellow wire just hanging out? What's going on with the stock ignition switch wiring?

Third, that is completely the wrong way to wire your push button. Put everything back to stock and make sure the car works. Then install the push button correctly.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Jhester
Leaky Injector

i Have no clue whats going on with factory starter wiring. when i got the car it already had a starter button installed. my trouble is trying to restore factory wiring. what does the orange wire in the previous picture normally wired to? im assuming the ignition switch but is it a negative?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

You need to spend some time with the FSM. You have to figure out what every single wire does and where each wire needs to.

Unfortunately the SR wiring diagram is not available in English. Search for a thread from me with the word "ultimate" and "sr20det" and you'll get some info.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Jhester
Leaky Injector

I reconnected the black/yellow wire to the starter solenoid. I used jumper cables from another vehicle on my positive and neg terminal and the turned the key to the on pos. all readings appeared normal including a running fuel pump. i turned the key to the start positive and heard the starter relay "click" and the illumination panel dimmed slightly. Im thinking that the car used to power supply my cars temporary voltage wasn't strong enough to supply the current to start mine but im just optimistic. im requesting a reality check....