Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Finkingtons
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Finkingtons is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Automatic S13 Opinions?

Just wanted to ask some other owners/enthusiasts a question I've been itching to ask for a while, but finally decided to ask it. I'm 17, and just bought my first 240 yesterday, its a 91 S13 coupe, however, it is an automatic transmission. I've been looking for probably 2 years to find a good, well condition, 5 speed S13 within 300 miles of me, and couldn't manage to do it. I was however given the opportunity to own an almost mint condition 240sx with 70,000 original miles, zero rust, minimal cosmetic wear, etc. The only problem I have is that its an automatic. So I guess my question is, how acceptable to others is an automatic S13? I am currently unable to swap it to a 5 speed, and to be honest, I like the car the way it is. and in my opinion shouldn't have to spend almost a thousand dollars on it just to be accepted. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but in some ways I do. Its not like I can't drive stick, I have another car that I daily that is a 5 speed, but couldn't turn this offer down, automatic trans or not. Hopefully this thread is acceptable, and ALL opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Finkingtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
I have nothing nice to say. I'm practicing extreme self-control.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
^loooool this is why i haven't been posting lately. on the same mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkingtons View Post
Hopefully this thread is acceptable
hahahaha ill give you a pass in my book since this made me laugh.

crimsonrockett built a pretty cool s13 that was auto iirc.

it's more about your attitude and modifications to the car in my opinion.

a clean stock auto 240 will ALWAYS be cooler than a shit beat up 5 speed with tasteless mods.

refer to Doing it Wrong thread and Doing it Right thread.
They will hopefully set you on the right path of not doing dumb shit to your car.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Is this fucking real oh my god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty So View Post

They will hopefully set you on the right path of not doing dumb shit to your car.
listen to this
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
All my friends are here
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
If you like it auto, keep it auto. Might keep dbags from trying to buy it off you at the gas station. If someone hates on you for having an auto car, it'll save you a lot of time getting to know them before figuring out they suck. Kind of like people with confederate flags or anti-vaccine bumper stickers.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Idk man the best 240 I ever owned was an auto
Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
as long as you aren't going to try to pass if off as a drift car who cares. good daily.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
All you guys with these nice answers im proud of all of yous... yea man, i would just get a sick stall converter and drag it.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #10
imoverherre
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
imoverherre is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Pictures of said car?

If it's clean? Why switch it you said it was hard to find an unmolested s13 with 300 miles from you. Why fuck up a really good car. Just to fit in the group?
imoverherre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If it's what you like, go for it. Don't let anyone sway you, even the purist driving shamers who say you must have three pedals in order to enjoy your ride.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lol, nice diary submission.

Just swap it, it's not as hard as you think, you'll learn a lot and enjoy it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty So View Post
+100000
Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #13
Finkingtons
Leaky Injector

Thanks for the answers, I feel better about keeping it auto now. The most I'll be doing to it is coils and wheels to sit pretty, other than that it'll be stock, so yeah. I'll post some pictures of it up of it later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoverherre View Post
Pictures of said car?

If it's clean? Why switch it you said it was hard to find an unmolested s13 with 300 miles from you. Why fuck up a really good car. Just to fit in the group?
Yeah, that's my logic lol. I didn't actually plan on doing the swap, but just wanted to hear others opinions on an auto S13.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #14
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
step one: stop being a pussy

who gives a fuck what thousands of people with shitboxes think about your car.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
step one: stop being a pussy

who gives a fuck what thousands of people with shitboxes think about your car.
+235,467,676,678.08

I'd get more e-peen if I had 18" wheels, stretched tires, and mega camburrrr...but instead I have 16" and decently sized tires. Go with what you feel...

...but first, tell us how you feel about HOONIGAN and plasti-dip?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You're 17, young, and impressionable. You bought the car because you wanted one and obviously the automatic didn't bother you that much. It's an S-bucket, save money and slowly buy the 5 spd stuff then swap it to learn about turning wrenches. Keep fluids in it and enjoy the car.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
Rich260z
Zilvia Addict

Rich260z is an unknown quantity at this point
Meh, if everything works, they make decent daily drivers. I drove my auto s13 for 2 years pretty much 100% stock. Then I was an idiot and spent money on it.
Rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #18
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Keep it, do other stuff first. Wear and tear items, bushings, suspension etc...

Enjoy it for what it is, if you want power down the line then think about factoring in a trans swap.

I am finishing my auto SR20 swap with a forcedfour shift box to control it. I don't plan on drifting or much road racing, but mostly a daily driver and canyon crusier.

http://www.forcedfour.com/shiftboxbasic2.htm

It's meant for DSMs, but chatting with the owner it should be able to control the RE04 as well. Kinda of push button shift system with protection and programmable shift points. Plus, I can switch between the OEM TCU and this box. That's the plan anyway...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

^ that's pretty damn cool
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its a transmission, the only purpose it serves is to shift the car for you - or for you to do it manually.

My car started out as a SOHC auto. After numerous years, the auto started to slip and I chucked it in the gutter and swapped to manual. Then when I blew up the SOHC, I swapped the SR20DET. Fortunately, by then I already had all the nice parts on my car: wheels/tires/brakes/suspension/differential/seats/etc. Adding power LAST has always managed to keep my cars from getting wrapped around telephone poles, curbs and mountain sides. Power is the typically the problem. Most guys here want more power like they want a longer penis, its never enough. Learn to be happy with what you have.

First, I would be more concerned about what motor is in it. You have a DOHC, so thats nice. Hopefully the paint is nice and the interior is black.

Swapping that transmission is a weekend job.

ps: Dont worry about people who comment "ah man its an auto" because those are (were) the same people who used to say "ah man its a 240SX, should have gotten the 300ZX"
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #21
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
And with dark enough tints, nobody at the meets will be the wiser.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
Finkingtons
Leaky Injector

image (5).jpg
image (4).jpg
Click em'.

Heres some quick pictures I took when I got home from the long journey bringing her home, haven't had time to take any after I washed her, oops. Salt is a bitch. And yes, the interior is black.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
10psitx
Zilvia Member

10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the car auto until it becomes necessary to swap it...my son and my nephew both have auto SR20 powered cars and they are great. Best to put time and effort into refurbishing the suspension, brakes and maintenance items on the car first.
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #24
AnonymousBlackX
Leaky Injector

AnonymousBlackX is an unknown quantity at this point
looks better than my s13.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkingtons View Post
Attachment 90069
Attachment 90070
Click em'.

Heres some quick pictures I took when I got home from the long journey bringing her home, haven't had time to take any after I washed her, oops. Salt is a bitch. And yes, the interior is black.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #25
Reece
Nissanaholic!

That thing is clean as fuck. First order of business, wash it immediately and put it away until spring.

I wouldn't do much aftermarket wise other than some coils and nice wheels and some interior stuff. I'd give anything to have another clean auto 240 daily driver. But like everyone else I decided to do a manual swap and turn that one into my drift car and so on... No idea where the thing is now. Probably in a dump.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #26
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

first order of business, trade for auto kouki s14? hehe
Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #27
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Do what YOU think is best for YOU and not what others think you should do.

I have had a few boosted cars and ALL of them were auto because I got tired of hearing about manuals being superior. Keep in mind that this was from the Honda fanboys who couldn't shut up about vtek....lol

Also, when I was in the market for a 240, I only looked for autos because I knew they would have been the least molested....lol

The point is to do what YOU want to your car and leaving it auto is not a bad thing.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
Finkingtons
Leaky Injector

Yep, car was washed and waxed, now just waiting for a day when the roads are dry so I can safely transport it to storage for the rest of winter. Ill upload some more pics after it was cleaned and of the interior as well, soon. I am also not letting myself fuck this thing up lol. Coils and wheels are the most that's going to be done, I love the stock interior in the condition its in. I have also decided that I will probably leave it auto. Next 240 will definitely be a 5 speed. I appreciate all the responses! Pics soon
Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #29
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Edit: Nevermind.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
NOTsliden
Leaky Injector

NOTsliden is an unknown quantity at this point
dont hack that car up. it might be cool now but you will regret it later and try and put it back to clean form. Under coat everything underneath and some por-15 will be your friend to keep the rust grimlens away on top of washing it off regularly. i think a clean Automatic build would be pretty cool. and when one blows up you can practicly get another one for free.
NOTsliden is offline   Reply With Quote