Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
EarlsWorld

Trader Rating: (0)
EarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Polycarbonate Windows

So im looking to do Poly-carbonate windows on my s13 coupe that i use for drift and street cruising.
ive looked lots but cant find much info on them as far as the pros and cons.
the reason i want to do them is because i could gut out the doors to more easily fit a roll cage thats more comfy for street driving.
if you guys could put together just some general info on the benefits and the cons of them that would be awesome.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
we made a poly rear window for my friends 94 yota. its pretty cool. much lighter than glass and it can take a nice hit and not shatter.

I really only have 2 issues with plastic windows:
-you cannot tint them like you can a regular glass window. you have to buy smoked/tinted stuff and hope its not too light or dark. looking at it in the store is different then doing it in the direct sunlight..

-they are prone to getting all sorts of very small scratches. your rubber trim around the window frame has all sorts of dirt and shit in it. its scraping against the window creating little scratches every time you roll them up and down. since my buddies rear window doesn't move, its slowed some of the scratches down. but he still has them in his window. they are tolerable and you only really notice them if you are looking at it up close. you could possibly put some sort of protective film over them. you will need to keep your window seals very clean to keep the excessive scratches at bay. I would also look into some sort of protective film I mentioned earlier.

edit:
not sure if its zilvia or my computer, but the damn line break function isn't working and its driving me nuts. also something else to consider is if your windows have curves, you may need to heat the plastic sheet up and place them on your glass windows to get the correct curve.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
EarlsWorld

Trader Rating: (0)
EarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruinEarlsWorld is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks that was some awesome info!