Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
240USA

Trader Rating: (0)
240USA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 electrical wiring pro here? radio, dash, fog, tail and dimmer

I have a 95 base 240 5 speed, I have been having some electrical issues. I received it without a radio in it. I installed factory fog lights, they never worked. After installing a radio the fog lights worked but I lost cluster/dash/fan and tail lights. I replaced the tail light fuse and the tail lights came back. So I had a working radio, fogs and tails at that point but no cluster/dash/fan lights.... I took the illumination wire off the radio harness adaptor and grounded it, my dash lights came on, but then I lost fog lights.

Anyone have any ideas what's cause all these electrical gremlins? I've looked behind the cluster (all wires looked good), I've looked under the foot wells (all wires looked good), I've looked behind the radio (all wires looked good). I don't know where or what to do next.

FYI I cleaned the multiple ground body grounds near the computer (pass kick panel) and under the hood (by the relay/fuse box). That didn't help anything. Replaced the dimmer. Also the car runs really well, great idle, no hick-ups, very smooth acceleration/de-acceleration.
240USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
240USA

Fog lights are working again, something must or shorted and blew the bulbs. I was sliding the radio out to examine wires again and while sliding the radio out it arced on the brackets, has anyone ever seen that? I have never seen that in any radio install I have ever done...
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like previous owner electrical fuckery. I'd check and/or yank out anything that isn't factory.

I'm fighting this with mine. Some bumblenuts did a crap radio install and I'm having to unfuck all his backwater electrical ingenuity.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
240USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Sounds like previous owner electrical fuckery. I'd check and/or yank out anything that isn't factory.

I'm fighting this with mine. Some bumblenuts did a crap radio install and I'm having to unfuck all his backwater electrical ingenuity.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I feel your pain...I'm going to be checking for shorts when I go on days off.