Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Help with condensor fan wiring

So. I have a s13sr in a s14. I found out after installing everything that the condenser fan does nothing. s13 and s14 use different methods to control the fans. So I am looking for a solution.

I have a stock clutch fan and shroud which should keep the car cool, but for the AC I would like to have the stock condenser fan to run.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...ing-relay.html

Would that kit work if I wire it into the compressor or AC button circuit to trigger? If so can someone help me with a simple wiring diagram?

I looked over the FSM and found the wiring pinouts for the low and high speed on the plug. I assume I need power in and out on the relay.. Can I hook it straight to the battery?

If this does not work I can try this as well:

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/accessor...ol-module.html

This has a AC switch option as well as a temp control option, I could use it if temps go over 210 or whatever as a backup source
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I hooked up my A/C fan to a relay which gets a signal from the compressor. So basically when the compressor kicks on, the A/C fan kicks on as well. This is all on an S13. You will have to look at wiring diagrams on the S14 to see how it all works.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
^I have my s14 wired the exact same way since my compressor fan stopped coming on after my SR swap.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
This is what I want to do as well. I assume it has been working well for you all?

Anyone that can make me a basic wiring diagram? That relay I first linked should work well for this correct
Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your running SR clutch fan and shroud, you don't need the A/C fan. I wanted to install the A/C fan also in my SR, however the harness that I'm using is by 'Wiring Specialties' does not have the Hi and Lo fan wired in. Yury purposely didn't wire them in due the stock A/C fans failing after time. He did mention, if you're using the SR Cluch fan and Shroud combo it would be more than enough to keep your condenser cool. Anyways, that's upto you.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcobra View Post
If your running SR clutch fan and shroud, you don't need the A/C fan. I wanted to install the A/C fan also in my SR, however the harness that I'm using is by 'Wiring Specialties' does not have the Hi and Lo fan wired in. Yury purposely didn't wire them in due the stock A/C fans failing after time. He did mention, if you're using the SR Cluch fan and Shroud combo it would be more than enough to keep your condenser cool. Anyways, that's upto you.
Interesting to know. I do have a wiring specialties harness. So you have had no issues with cooling without the condenser fan? I see you are in Calgary, I am in the interior BC so we get pretty hot here in the summer.. gonna be close to 38-39 this weekend but thats only once in awhile.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Bottom line is, if you are sitting in a traffic jam on a warm summer day the clutch fan will not be enough to cool the condenser to max efficiency, this is where the A/C fan comes into play. Now what does this mean as an end result? Less efficient cooling. While you will still receive cool air out of the vents, it'll be greatly reduced with a heat soaked condenser.

I already went through this few weeks ago thought I could get away without the A/C fan. Soon as I came to a stop for an extending period of time, the air coming out of the vents was warmer. Once the car started moving, ice cold air again.

Honestly, the stock A/C fan isn't good enough. Need some boss ass dual pusher fans on that bitch.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
I've been running this setup for about 3 years. I wired mine in using an OEM nissan blue relay wired into the fuse box so you can't tell it's aftermarket. The cheap relays I used to get would fail every so often and I got tired of it.

Also, Yury didn't purposely not wire in the fans, the fan plug comes off the chassis harness, not the engine harness. Don't listen to that guy.

Here's a diagram I made up in paint. It's pretty straight forward, hardest part is finding the signal, and even that's easy. One of the wires on the wiper motor gets constant power when acc is on, so I'd use that and avoid running wires to the interior. Also, don't use relay connectors with small gauge wire, they will burn up

Old 06-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Wow thats great thanks for the diagram! The wiper motor sounds like a good place to find switched power yes.

I should probably use 10 or 12ga wiring then because of the amp load. What amperage fuse we talking about here? 20 or 30? Like I said I will be tapping into the A terminal on the fan which according to the FSM is LOW speed, A+B is high speed. Amp draw on low is maybe 15 amps?

Can I use existing fan relays to do this? I know the flex-a-lite relay kit i bought has a 20 amp relay

Sounds like your fan runs all the time though.. is there any way to have it come on with the AC compressor? Like tap into a 12v circuit for the compressor instead of a IGN signal?

I assume you are also running low speed
Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Sorry, I remembered incorrectly. I run Altima fans and the other fan is run off a thermo switch, and I used the wiper motor for the on signal for that relay. For the A/C fan relay I tapped into the wire the kicks the compressor clutch on. It's a single wire, blue with pink strip I believe. That turns the fan on only when the compressor is on. I have both fans wired on high and run a 30A fuse for both. The car sounds like a tornado when both fans are on lol.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Sorry, I remembered incorrectly. I run Altima fans and the other fan is run off a thermo switch, and I used the wiper motor for the on signal for that relay. For the A/C fan relay I tapped into the wire the kicks the compressor clutch on. It's a single wire, blue with pink strip I believe. That turns the fan on only when the compressor is on. I have both fans wired on high and run a 30A fuse for both. The car sounds like a tornado when both fans are on lol.
Perfect so I will take the signal from compressor instead of the wiper motor then. I will try it on low and see what happens, If high needs to be used then I guess I can twin power to A and B on the plug
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

I did mine a little differently.

I found out that the thermo switch was bad on my system so I just bypassed it by installing my own relay to make the connection when the compressor was on.

Since the thermo switch opens/closes the ground circuit on the fan, I cut it out of the system and used a relay to simulate what it does, based on status of the compressor.

Again this is for S13, not sure how it is on the S14 but for my A/C fan there are two plugs, both have 2 wires. One of the plugs is for the thermo switch, where if the circuit is completed, the fan kicks on. The fans by factory already have their own power and ground source if you had an A/C equipped car, so no need to create a new circuit.

That is what I did, and it works flawlessly for me so far.

PS, please excuse shitty drawing, I was terrible in art class.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Speed Junkie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Speed Junkie is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bringing this one up to the top. I have an S14 SR20 in a 98 S14 with Wiring Specialties pro Harness. my AC system works. Idle bumps up when the compressor is on and I have cold air blowing.

The problem is my electric fan does not turn on. I'm using Altima fans with one of the two being connected to the OEM fan plug. The AC fan relay is getting power but the ECU is not turning the ground "on" when it should. I know people just wire in a relay at the compressor wiring so that it simply turns the fan on every time you turn AC on. I do not want this. I want it to be as OEM as possible which means the fan cycling on and off as it should based on the AC pressure sensor etc.

Has anyone here done it this way?
Speed Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
Alan_405
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Alan_405 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
97 S14 w/SR20. Running SR condenser fan with SR clutch Fan. Its all bolted up. Clutch Fan works no issues. I'm wanting to run the Condenser fan now. There are only 2 wires and would like to get it to run when the AC kicks on. Would I need to tap into the High or Low blue Relays? One is power and other ground. If this is the case, which relay would I want to tap into and is it the Blue/pink wire? Thank you.
Alan_405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #15
Johannes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Johannes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Alan, I'd upload the picture of the S14 diagram lo/hi fans but too time consuming.
If you search S14 FSM, and download the HA.pdf (heater/air conditioning)
Page HA-45 shows the diagram for both hi and low fans.
If it's oem, condenser fan should have 4 wires on it.
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Alan_405
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Alan_405 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Johannes,

Heres the Diagram....Ive also attached a pic of the 4plug that the fan originally hooked up to but its SR now so its 2 plug...can these be spliced?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Alan_405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 AM   #17
s13beejay
Leaky Injector

s13beejay is an unknown quantity at this point
Bumping this post to the top. Do any of you guys know why my idle drops from 1100 to 700 rpm when the ac is on. It feels as if the car will die. It actually does out when coming to a stop when ac is on. This only happens when the car is at full running temp. My car is a 93 s13 coupe with s14 Sr20det
s13beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13beejay View Post
Bumping this post to the top. Do any of you guys know why my idle drops from 1100 to 700 rpm when the ac is on. It feels as if the car will die. It actually does out when coming to a stop when ac is on. This only happens when the car is at full running temp. My car is a 93 s13 coupe with s14 Sr20det
The AC compressor is a lit of drag on the motor. Sounds like you're not getting an idle up with it on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
s13beejay
Leaky Injector

s13beejay is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
The AC compressor is a lit of drag on the motor. Sounds like you're not getting an idle up with it on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How do I wire up the idle up? Since I have the s14 sr in my s13 coupe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
s13beejay is offline   Reply With Quote