Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #91
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
I like the custom heat shield you have. haha

Good work!
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #92
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
battosaii930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lol thanks

im having an issue right now though, im trying to wire in my sensors i got the Map Sensor all wired up then i move on to the AIT use pin 29 for ground and pin 26 for signal ok simple i tapped the ground on pin 29 and then i see pin 26 on the ECU connector not being used at all on the Wireing specialties harness so i try to use one of the AEM supplied pins i crimped it and it will not go in the plug. i pulled one of the pins out from the wireing specialties harness and the the pin was different from the AEM and my OEM nissan pin. I called up Wireing specialties and they were nice enough to ship me a set of pins for free i just need to wait till it gets here i need it for my AIT and Boost controller to be wired in to the EMS
battosaii930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #93
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can you guys tell me the length of the Driveshafts you had made, And what you paid roughly. Im trying to price them in AZ and figure out whats the best for the money, I know some guy said he had the oem that was modified to fit, and others had custom made.

THank you. My trans should be back from the machine chop this week.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #94
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

Well I got my drive shaft from shaft masters aluminum for $387 shipped.

With the z33 tranny and the j30 diff I had to use the abs drive shaft wich is weird cause with the stock sr tranny I used the stock non abs shaft anyway the length of the shaft is 50 5/8" inches long
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #95
maverickmotorsports
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
maverickmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Especially since a number of other people (George marstanovic primarily) have done this swap and either not had these issues or just completely forgot to mention it.
Just wanted to chime in. I completely didn't see this thread but I am more than happy to answer any questions.

We've used our adapter kits on the following clutches.

Exedy Hyper Single
Exedy Twin
Exedy stage 1-2
Competition twin
Carbonetic/ATS single
SPEC (any stage)
ACT (any stage)
SPEC twin
ORC single
OS Giken Single
RPS
XTD(customer used it.....not us)

There might be more out there from customers I haven't heard from but that covers quite a bit of the clutches available. All worked great and engaged like they should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upetr View Post
I agree.

The 350z shaft has extra length from the end to the splines (I measured about 11,5mm) due to the 350z having a dual mass flywheel. But you can only take off so much from the bell housing before it will get structurally too weak. I took 13mm off and you could probably get away with a little more but not much more. George's plate is 10mm which basically puts the input shaft as deep as the stock sr20det one into the crank.

Hope battosaii930 gets a resolution though. One possibility is to space out the flywheel but my advice would be to get his money back for his plate and get one from George as I doubt he will be able to remove a total of 19mm from the bellhousing to get the same penetration into the pilot bearing.

Otherwise - mill the plate to reduce the thickness a bit
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear its all working out. Our plate is thinner which allows for all the spacing to have a smaller stackup and allows better engagement of the splines and TOB.

We've had very good success with using the KA/SR carrier. You could try the 30mm one mentioned but it will get the TOB 6mm closer. We try to keep ~.200" away from the pressure plate to allow the fingers to grow as the clutch wears. This is what we were told by multiple clutch companies and is an industry standard.

Lastly please make sure you are using a matched clutch fork and pivot ball setup. The Z33 box went through a change from a long pivot to short and the clutch fork was changed accordingly. Using mismatched parts will cause engagement issues.

As always feel free to call me anytime and discuss and questions or concerns about the swap. I've sold 100+ of these and done a bunch locally with great results.

Sr to VQ transmission adapter, dual caliper brackets, high angle tensions rods, and more!

http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/collections/all
maverickmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #96
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Awesome info Thanks George.
Can't wait to get mine back from you, so I can get started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Just wanted to chime in. I completely didn't see this thread but I am more than happy to answer any questions.

We've used our adapter kits on the following clutches.

Exedy Hyper Single
Exedy Twin
Exedy stage 1-2
Competition twin
Carbonetic/ATS single
SPEC (any stage)
ACT (any stage)
SPEC twin
ORC single
OS Giken Single
RPS
XTD(customer used it.....not us)

There might be more out there from customers I haven't heard from but that covers quite a bit of the clutches available. All worked great and engaged like they should.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear its all working out. Our plate is thinner which allows for all the spacing to have a smaller stackup and allows better engagement of the splines and TOB.

We've had very good success with using the KA/SR carrier. You could try the 30mm one mentioned but it will get the TOB 6mm closer. We try to keep ~.200" away from the pressure plate to allow the fingers to grow as the clutch wears. This is what we were told by multiple clutch companies and is an industry standard.

Lastly please make sure you are using a matched clutch fork and pivot ball setup. The Z33 box went through a change from a long pivot to short and the clutch fork was changed accordingly. Using mismatched parts will cause engagement issues.

As always feel free to call me anytime and discuss and questions or concerns about the swap. I've sold 100+ of these and done a bunch locally with great results.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #97
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

ok i have the engine harness all hooked up but im having a small issue. Does anyone know how to deal with AEM EMS? i was trying to upload the base calibration but it kept saying it cant cause the engine is running and says 80 rpm on the live data with the engine off, i had to unplug the cas for it to read 0 rpm and install the base calibration.

i have no idea if it will start or not my battery was at 10v for sitting so long so i have it hooked up to a battery tender charging it for the night.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #98
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battosaii930 View Post
ok i have the engine harness all hooked up but im having a small issue. Does anyone know how to deal with AEM EMS? i was trying to upload the base calibration but it kept saying it cant cause the engine is running and says 80 rpm on the live data with the engine off, i had to unplug the cas for it to read 0 rpm and install the base calibration.

i have no idea if it will start or not my battery was at 10v for sitting so long so i have it hooked up to a battery tender charging it for the night.
Low voltage can cause sensors to do funky things. let it charge and see if it helps the situation.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #99
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

sorted some wireing issues with my starter and i was getting the wrong values because the base map for my engine was using a denso map sensor and no AIT i have both aem counterparts i switched them in the wizard and now i get correct values i wish i could find real base calibrations for the 6601 s13 sr but there is none the only calibration available is already set up for an engine with a map sensor and 550cc injectors the AEM version 1 had multiple SR base caliblrations
Old 03-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #100
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I've got a z33 trans and George's adapter plate on the way supposed to show up today actually.

Is there any info out there for using the HR transmission? The adapter plate has already been modified for it, but i'm wondering about the throw out bearing being as the HR trans has an internal slave. I heard a rumor that you can bolt on the external slave instead? Would the internal slave not work with an sr clutch?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #101
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I've got a z33 trans and George's adapter plate on the way supposed to show up today actually.

Is there any info out there for using the HR transmission? The adapter plate has already been modified for it, but i'm wondering about the throw out bearing being as the HR trans has an internal slave. I heard a rumor that you can bolt on the external slave instead? Would the internal slave not work with an sr clutch?
I'm going to meet George to get my trans and adapter/parts today. He just had a custom bushing made for the hr trans like mine and yours. So all you need is the bushing and it's an easier install than the older model trans.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #102
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
I'm going to meet George to get my trans and adapter/parts today. He just had a custom bushing made for the hr trans like mine and yours. So all you need is the bushing and it's an easier install than the older model trans.

Awesome! Who do I have to get ahold of to get the bushing? So do you retain the internal slave? Also i'm using an ORC Super Single clutch and they use a slightly smaller diameter throw out bearing, but people have used the normal sr tob with it also, just would make the clutch pedal a bit stiffer than it's supposed to be. I'm sure that I won't be able to use the ORC tob.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #103
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Awesome! Who do I have to get ahold of to get the bushing? So do you retain the internal slave? Also i'm using an ORC Super Single clutch and they use a slightly smaller diameter throw out bearing, but people have used the normal sr tob with it also, just would make the clutch pedal a bit stiffer than it's supposed to be. I'm sure that I won't be able to use the ORC tob.
George was the one who told me. So send him a pm or text.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #104
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

got all my gauges wired up
Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #105
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Here is the picture of the bushing/spacer, just got it all tonight.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #106
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I'm guessing that will allow you to retain the internal slave cylinder and put it farther forward so it will reach the pressure plate? Have you figured out how to plumb the internal slave into the clutch line? I noticed there's two lines on it instead of one.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #107
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

And my six speed swap begins! I'm gonna update with any progress or hang ups
So we keep this thread on topic. And to help out others who attempt this of course.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #108
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Ordered the HR tob spacer from Maverick Motorsports.

Can somebody make a shifter for me? The previous owner cut the stock shifter up and I think I have all the pieces I could send to someone, but idk what to do from there or what else is needed. Does the factory shifter have a reverse lockout or is that internal of the transmission? I was able to shift the selector from 5th to reverse.

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 03-14-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #109
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

drove around the block and everything is smooth but i will say damn that trans is loud i still need to cover up the shifter hole though
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #110
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

shes running

i had to seal the hole so i used the factory metal ring and bottom rubber and trimmed it

then i covered it all with dynamat and the sound is not barely noticable!

here she is with all the interior put back together, i have to trim the back of the shifter bezel so i can actually use 2nd 4th and 6th but i just wanted it to look prety for the pic.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #111
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

Normal slow driving you won't really see too much of a difference between the 6 speed and the 5 speed but when you get on it hard 3rd gear is amazing, I have the aem boost solenoid all hooked up but I wasn't using it yet I only ran the stock 10lbs on the 2871r I can't wait to get it properly dyno tuned
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #112
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Figure out anything for the speedo yet? I was thinking about using kouki s13 front knuckles that have the abs sensors and wiring them to the dakota converter.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #113
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Figure out anything for the speedo yet? I was thinking about using kouki s13 front knuckles that have the abs sensors and wiring them to the dakota converter.
ABS signal from the front hubs is a bad idea. You want the speed signal coming from the rears since you're rear wheel drive.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #114
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

actually front hub abs is not a bad idea you will get actual speed versus rear wheel speed and you can use this to set up a traction control set up like i can with my AEM EMS and its a great system for dragracing but thats not what im going for.

im doing a bit of research on how im going to wire the Dakota digital to my j30 abs sensor but ill be sure to document how i did it, im just dealing with my tune for now though cause its running super rich im using about 5 bucks in gas every time i go out for test runs and its only 3-4 miles lol its running about 10.4 AFR at all loads

once i get that sorted out ill be wireing and testing more to see what works with the Dakota box
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #115
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

My trans is mounted to the engine and ready for install!
And I was thinking about the Dakota digital but for a car that's not a daily driver it's easier to use the gps speed on my cell phone app or from a dash mounted gps unit, the cost of the Dakota wasn't worth it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by battosaii930 View Post
actually front hub abs is not a bad idea you will get actual speed versus rear wheel speed and you can use this to set up a traction control set up like i can with my AEM EMS and its a great system for dragracing but thats not what im going for.

im doing a bit of research on how im going to wire the Dakota digital to my j30 abs sensor but ill be sure to document how i did it, im just dealing with my tune for now though cause its running super rich im using about 5 bucks in gas every time i go out for test runs and its only 3-4 miles lol its running about 10.4 AFR at all loads

once i get that sorted out ill be wireing and testing more to see what works with the Dakota box
Heres a picture for fun!
Late model z33 trans with the internal Concentric slave cylinder.
Also, i have the megan turbo elbow, and i had to grind the side of the trans bellhousing where the starter would connect on the Z. It didnt impact any of the mounting holes nor the integrity of the bellhousing.

Last edited by ultimateirving; 03-19-2014 at 10:44 PM..
ultimateirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #116
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
My tuner had a gps speed sensor from autometer laying around !

He wired it to its aem ecu and it work number one on the laptop ! You would need a aim or racepak dash !!! Im not sure about the stock dash reading that gps

Ill be doing that on my car when my z33 trans is in

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #117
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice swap OP.

I'm fairly certain that most if not all GPS speedometers have an analog output, the stock 240 cluster needs an alternating current (AC) signal such as coming from an abs sensor. I get my speedometer reading from using an abs sensor then I slow down the signal and adjust it with a Dakota digital sgi-5, it's super easy to do and cheaper than most GPS units that I've seen. I like it, the signal never drops, you don't have to mount an antenna. Both ways work just letting you know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #118
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Is anyone changing out their rear end gear ratio? What would be good for z33 trans and 350+hp sr.. I wonder
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #119
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
Quote:
Is anyone changing out their rear end gear ratio? What would be good for z33 trans and 350+hp sr.. I wonder
I have a 4.36 with z33 trans. I'm very happy with it.

Having an issues now that my trans sits too low and scrapes on the ground. Gonna have to redo my trans mount. Hope I don't have issues hitting the trans tunnel
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #120
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
My trans is mounted to the engine and ready for install!
And I was thinking about the Dakota digital but for a car that's not a daily driver it's easier to use the gps speed on my cell phone app or from a dash mounted gps unit, the cost of the Dakota wasn't worth it.

Late model z33 trans with the internal Concentric slave cylinder.
Yeah I was just thinking, I'm going to get a daily driver before I do the trans swap anyways, so who cares I can just use a gps app when I need it.

Mind if I ask what clutch you are using on your sr? I'll be using an ORC 409D super single. George said someone has used his plate before with that clutch, but not with a internal slave trans. I got the slave spacer and everything so I'm hoping it all works out. Still trying to find a shifter.