Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reclining vs Fixed Buckets crash dilemma in a street car.

Been looking into this recently and trying to weigh out the pros and cons in a logical way. Two things off the bat is stock seats arent supportive and are 25 years old so whats the point in keeping as far as "safety/comfort" so at this point I need better seats after building up my chassis and replacing all other 25 year old bits.

I started looking into getting some reclinables, first brand new ones, nothing crazy from sparco and recaro(r100/a4) then thought if im going to spend 300-400ish why not find a nice bride off YAJ and ship one over. Can find a lot in my price range and im sure if I look around long enough I can find some gem. The issue i've seen with reclinables unless you pay 1k plus for a new one and not some used brix is safety from a rear end and getting whiplash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Qsd4-8IMo

So pros to reclinable is adjustment, comfort, can wear a normal seat belt and have a harness whenever you go to track. Cons is most name brand ones arent going to have any sort of support from a rear end and you will snap the seat and get crazy whiplash.

Next is a fixed bucket which you can find same price range and if you want an FIA one will be a little more (dont see myself seeing any serious track time, I drive it mainly street). In the event of a crash there is no chance or less of a chance with the seat snaping backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQxIIWOqpE

Pros to a fixed is a rear crash it wont snap, way more support when actually driving the car at a track or outside of normal driving day to day. Cons having to run a harness then having the obvious harness related injurys since we dont have neck brace like in proper motorsport driving. So with the harness basically gluing your shoulders to the seat your neck will have a lot force put on it. Other thing is submarining if dont run a proper harness setup.

So its a toss up between having a name brand reclining bucket which is better setup for a daily but since its "track use" that thing will snap like a twig in the event of a real rear end collision while with a fixed you wont fly back but having a harness setup in a street accident is I think just as equally as threatening to injuries.

I was thinking about having a happen medium with both and getting some factory seats that hug pretty well and since factory cars all go through test vs old japanese buckets they are objectively held at a higher safety standard. Only two cars I was looking at with nice factory seats that recline are the 350z and gen coupe. The only issue is having some fuck boy charge an arm and a leg for factory seats so they can throw in some ebay rep spec seats for scene points. I gaurantee if someone swaps seats out of a gen or z the owner probably did not take very good care of them and im not about to get a used pair of vape spilled wrinkled seats for the price of one decent seat. Im in florida so I already am a defensive driver but my biggest fear is just waiting at a light for someone to fuck me up or some wannbe racer trying to cut traffic and hits me 50mph+ in the back.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links