Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs down Output shaft woes! R32 Diff -> 5 bolt output shafts -> US interchange? J30? Z32?

Summary: I need output shafts from a US car that are the exact same as the R32 5 bolt output shafts. Will z32 n/a shafts work? Note: pre 94 j30 shafts DO NOT WORK (see below)

Backstory: For my 97 non-ABS s14 I bought a r32 (4.36) + nismo 2way diff+pumpkin+axles combo off of an Arizona driver. I swapped the heatsinked cover for my stock 14 cover and bolted everything in. Everything was great for a quite some time. Driving on the freeway the other day, I had an axle break at the CV joint closest to the diff. This obviously killed the axle, and dented the flange on the pass. output shaft. So I need a new pass. 5 bolt axle and output shaft.

I do a little research and come under the impression that the pre 94 j30 might have what I need. I hit the local JY and pulled a '92 j30 VLSD pumpkin and both axles. I am not certain if the donor car was ABS or not.

However, the output shafts from the j30 are not correct. The location of the first bevel, "oiling spiral surface" and the spline placement and overall length are not the same as my r32 output shafts. It appears that the driver side would probably "work", but the passenger side shaft is probably 1" or more too long. There is no way these shafts will work.

I also tried out my s14 non-vlsd non-abs 6 bolt output shafts, but they are too short.

My friend has a Z32 N/A parts car that I am going to try to pull the output shafts off. I am not sure if that car is VLSD or ABS yet. If anyone can help clarify exactly what I need I would appreciate it!

To clarify, the r32 output shafts I have do NOT have the external tooth/abs ring on them.

(Sorry I have not uploaded the photos of my diff + output shaft collection yet... Maybe tonight..)
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links