Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
sr20det water temperature with ac running

Hey, I'm just curious as to what everybody's water temps were when running ac on their sr. I'm running an s13 sr with a new blitz radiator, new water pump, new oem thermostat, and altima fans running on high and I'm seeing around 190-195 ish in 90+ degree temps.
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
93*C on the highway with electric fans is the highest I see.

You are ok up until around 212-220*F, then I start to get nervous. Still ok though. If I ever saw a 100*C (212*F) though I would probably just click it off for a bit.

The motor getting hot and the oil getting hot in highway traffic, on hot Florida days, is a bigger problem. Ducting, oil cooler, shielding, heat wrap, reflective surface to keep heat off your A/C components and intake tract is key.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
93*C on the highway with electric fans is the highest I see.

You are ok up until around 212-220*F, then I start to get nervous. Still ok though. If I ever saw a 100*C (212*F) though I would probably just click it off for a bit.

The motor getting hot and the oil getting hot in highway traffic, on hot Florida days, is a bigger problem. Ducting, oil cooler, shielding, heat wrap, reflective surface to keep heat off your A/C components and intake tract is key.
Thanks for the reply and the advice. Probably gonna look into ducting and some reflective tape in the near future.
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksylv View Post
Thanks for the reply and the advice. Probably gonna look into ducting and some reflective tape in the near future.
How well do your fans fit? I'm in the process of re-doing my cooling setup from what it is/has been (ebay 2 core and altima fans). Temps would get up to 230+ at drift events. Now I'm gonna be running a koyo n-flow and FAL 3100 cfm fans that actually fit the radiator. Altima fans tend to pull a lot of air in from the side and not actually through the rad, at least mine did.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

They could be better, they have gaps on both sides, car never really got above 180 until I put AC back in the car. I've been eyeing these Flex-a-Lites for a while now though http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...0sx-89-98.html.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
They could be better, they have gaps on both sides, car never really got above 180 until I put AC back in the car. I've been eyeing these Flex-a-Lites for a while now though http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...0sx-89-98.html.
There are 4 numbers you want to see when chosing a fan.

Voltage, amps, flow and pressure. If you don't see them, don't buy them, plain and simple.

As far as ducting goes, sealing the top of the rad is very easy, the underside just needs the undertray. The sides are a pain.

And a simple vent in the hood behind the radiator works wonders. Since i made one, no more overheating. I should be able to do a track on october 17 to confirm but until now, i never went past 90°C on the road (except in traffic, but the fans kicks in around 96°C i believe and then it goes down to 88). No oil cooler, mk2 bumper, massive noname intercooler in front of an also massive ebay special radiator. The only mod i did was a (huge) hole in an already damaged 10$ hood, and riveted some big louvers.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #7
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
itsjustdaphne is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
I'm currently using the same fans.
I run a 158f I think thermostat which helps as well
There has been timea where the temp has spiked 100 in traffic. With ac on.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
You should see just above thermostat opening temps with it all on/operating normally at highway speeds. So 185-195 is normal IMO.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
There are 4 numbers you want to see when chosing a fan.

Voltage, amps, flow and pressure. If you don't see them, don't buy them, plain and simple.

As far as ducting goes, sealing the top of the rad is very easy, the underside just needs the undertray. The sides are a pain.

And a simple vent in the hood behind the radiator works wonders. Since i made one, no more overheating. I should be able to do a track on october 17 to confirm but until now, i never went past 90°C on the road (except in traffic, but the fans kicks in around 96°C i believe and then it goes down to 88). No oil cooler, mk2 bumper, massive noname intercooler in front of an also massive ebay special radiator. The only mod i did was a (huge) hole in an already damaged 10$ hood, and riveted some big louvers.
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I found a few of the specs. Amps= 22, and CFM= 2500. I've got an upper cooling plate, I'll probably get the local shop to fabricate a lower one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustdaphne View Post
I'm currently using the same fans.
I run a 158f I think thermostat which helps as well
There has been timea where the temp has spiked 100 in traffic. With ac on.
Ah that makes me feel better about it. Alot of threads I'd been reading had people still running around 180 ish but nobody really said whether they were running ac or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
You should see just above thermostat opening temps with it all on/operating normally at highway speeds. So 185-195 is normal IMO.
Cool, and sounds good thanks. Also running your ac bracket btw lol.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #10
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it helps, I used the Altima fans, but modified them to be better.
If you leave them stock, one fan sits closer to the rad than the other... The way the fan bolts up I was able to buy TINY little washers and lock washers and recess one of the fans into the shroud.. Doing so aloud me to shove that shroud (after the necessary trimming) butt up against the radiator (before it was impossible to do so without the fan rubbing).

Best setup I have seen is two 14" fans with a custom alumuminum shroud welded to a koyo radiator, sealing the entire perimeter. That is what I would argue the best setup one can possibly do with a koyo. EDIT: Just remembered, if memory serves, that was DJPimpFlex with his badass V8 swapped S13.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
with an oem clutch fan my water temp is 1-2c higher on the highway and actually cooler in town with the ac on
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
If it helps, I used the Altima fans, but modified them to be better.
If you leave them stock, one fan sits closer to the rad than the other... The way the fan bolts up I was able to buy TINY little washers and lock washers and recess one of the fans into the shroud.. Doing so aloud me to shove that shroud (after the necessary trimming) butt up against the radiator (before it was impossible to do so without the fan rubbing).

Best setup I have seen is two 14" fans with a custom alumuminum shroud welded to a koyo radiator, sealing the entire perimeter. That is what I would argue the best setup one can possibly do with a koyo. EDIT: Just remembered, if memory serves, that was DJPimpFlex with his badass V8 swapped S13.
The Altima fans need some 'trimming' for sure to sit flush agains the radiator, but it is possible. You need to trip them tops down and redrill the holes, along with some other massaging, but it works.

I had mine wired through the fan controller, and through the signal wire from the AC too. So at 175* the one fan would come on low speed), and at 195* or when AC button was on, the second fan would come on at high speed. Works fantastically well, and that's even with 25/30 minute sessions and enduro's with the car.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They need the necessary trimming to get them to fit regardless. I trimmed em even more so they'd fit between the end tanks and be smack up against the core.
See, I've always liked your setup, but I've always been weary about the possibility of an electrical failure with all that. So, I wired mine to two switches. To each their own..
Yeah, the Altima fans are DEFINITELY hands down one of the best bangs for your buck...
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote