Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
sbc
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
sbc is making a name for him/her selfsbc is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rust/Pitting help.

The windshield was replaced before I owned the vehicle and whoever did it did a real shit job which of course led to rust which brings me to my present situation...

You cant really see but the passenger side was relatively easy to fix since the rust wasn't too bad.

These pictures better illustrate my problem.

What I need to know is if I can just clean up the pits with a wire wheel or similar abrasives since the metal is too thin to use sanding disks/grinders.

If I'm leaving the pits should i use some type of body filler?
Are there rust inhibiting fillers or should I just use a thick coat of rust primer?

Any sort of advice would be great guys.
Thanks.
sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to JRas
It doesn't look too bad, get some kind of rust eater to remove all the rust in the pitting put some POR-15 over that and you should be good.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
wire brush it or use brittle disk disk. They come in different grits and color. Most of them break away quick so you dont burn through. If you want to fill in any pits use a metal renforced body filler aka metal2metal. Just like using lead body filler but without the danger. I would use a metal conditioner before you do any body work on it then use an expoxy primer( you can buy in a spray areosol can at a body shop store) then you can start your body work.

Get the corrosion back to oem standards then paint it, put new windsheid with good aheasion/sealing and walk away. A good test to find out if you got a good seal is to spray the car around the windshield with high pressure/low/medium pressure water and run a leak detector from the inside or blow high pressure air around the outside edges if the seals and have someone use a stetoscope in the in side and listen for air passing through. All of this mimick real life driving. Hope that helps you.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
oh btw the metal2metal is rust proof, corrosion proof, stronger than fiber glass, great for high impact areas, geat for seams, and metal shaving and stress cracks. The stuff is pricey though.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can't remember the name of the product I used... Its comes in a small bottle and is Pink.

My Battery Tray was rusted to hell... so I cut it out but the lower part had rused too where the brackets were... I used a wire wheel to remove the paint and some rust and used the Pink Rust eater for the pits.... works awsome... sprayed a primer coat over it and done.

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
ThunderbaySr20

Trader Rating: (0)
ThunderbaySr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
definatley use metal2metal, just make sure you take it down to oem size so you dont crack the new windsheild that your putting in... and then use por15 to paint over it
ThunderbaySr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
sbc
Leaky Injector

sbc is making a name for him/her selfsbc is making a name for him/her self
Ok thanks a ton. Would the following steps be taken in this order?

1. Rust eater
2. Metal2Metal filler
3. Por15
4. New windshield

Is that fine?
Thanks a lot guys.
sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
ByeByeSti
Banned from the Marketplace

ByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant futureByeByeSti has a brilliant future
im also dealing with this issue on my s14 except mines a bit worse i used that pink stuff also called rust remover or disolver or something.. worked alright, wire wheeled and clean up filled it. sanded it out. and im just going seal it all afterr
ByeByeSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
silpena
Zilvia Addict

go with these steps
1. wire wheel
2. metal conditioner( rust converter or zince oxide corrosion protection)
3. primer
4.paint
5. new windshield
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
energ
Zilvia Member

energ is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to energ
^^ i would do that as well (what silpena recommended) i wouldnt use POR-15 on anything you can see
and if you started using the POR-15 there where would you stop? its thicker than paint by a lot and you would have a line to blend..
energ is offline   Reply With Quote