Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
lokanut

Trader Rating: (0)
lokanut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Daily Driving an Import From Japan

Not sure where the hell to post this, but anyways..

So I have a Nissan Laurel on the way to me right now.

Is there any way I can "daily" this thing? Now I don't mean drive it every day, but I mean drive it more than the 2,000 miles a year that the classic/collectors insurance is going to cover me for.

Are there other options for insurance i can choose that aren't expensive as shit?

Thanks gents
lokanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Move states
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I guess the risk is up to you. I have classic/collectors on my s13 with limited annual miles, and I blew that limit out of the water every year that I was "dailying" it, here in AZ as well.

Cops don't keep track of the mileage, at least they didn't for me, so that's no worry. I got pulled over all the damn time and the last thing on the cops mind's was how many miles i'd driven it in the past year..

Only if you are actually at fault in an accident and your mileage is high will it really matter, and the outcome would be your insurance not covering you, right? I risked it..

Hope this helps, and I hope to see the Laurel around. I just went and looked at a c33 to buy locally in Gilbert, still on the fence but I dont think im going to pull the trigger... ugh
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I daily my fc with same requirements...will be insurance issue if something happens an mileage is over...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
as vague as this is going to sound... but its very very straight forward and its the only thing ill say

youre importing a car with an analogue gauge cluster

think about it.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
as vague as this is going to sound... but its very very straight forward and its the only thing ill say

think about it.

jk lol yolo
Old 01-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:

think about it.
I was thinking the same thing. very simple solution to the problem.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
honestly, when you only drive the car here and there... 2000 miles takes a long time to rack up. in vegas, classic cars/classic rod plated cars are only supposed to be driven 5000 miles a year to avoid smog. there are a lot of people who dodge this by lying about their mileage (mostly old shit box cars that are falling apart which the owner doesnt want to fix), but since i bought a 2nd car as a daily driven... i think ive put roughly 1500 miles on the 240 by driving it on random Fridays to work, then to my FRP shop, then home (when i use to drive it on Fridays). now i just drive it on saturdays to hit the post office and maybe a quick trip across town on very rare occasions... and that 1500 miles i stated has been within a 6 month time period (i pay registration in July).

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was always under the impression Hagerty was pretty cheap as long as youre not a kid and youve got a decent driving record. Maybe get a quote from them?
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
I was always under the impression Hagerty was pretty cheap as long as youre not a kid and youve got a decent driving record. Maybe get a quote from them?
Pretty sure it really comes down to the area you live in at the end of the day, ex in Jacksonville florida I am quoted for nearly half in what i pay for my insurance in south florida miami area, you'd think its by state but nah...
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Yes you can insure it, just call your insurance company. There are several dudes out here that are insuring and dailying their JDM cars. Some have it insured at pretty high values, some not so much, but my S13 is worth like $500 according to insurance too :/
Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
jdmblood
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
jdmblood is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What about if something goes wrong mechanically? I want to daily a cefiro but what would I do if I need oem parts or something and rb20det...
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
blackmags91
Zilvia Member

blackmags91 is an unknown quantity at this point
^If you're worried about that you're probably not ready to daily a Cefiro. Dont be mad bruh
blackmags91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well a Laurel is literally S13 suspension/links/subframes front and rear so parts are easy to get for those areas. As far as drivetrain, what is it an rb20? Parts seem easy to get for those too. No big deal. Probably one of the best jdm cars to import and drive as far as parts availability, unless it becomes something cosmetic which you'd have to have imported. Again probably not hard to find cosmetic parts for them from Japan.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Not hard at all, now a days all you have to do is type in your browser bar "how to get parts for my rb20" lol.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
lokanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmags91 View Post
I guess the risk is up to you. I have classic/collectors on my s13 with limited annual miles, and I blew that limit out of the water every year that I was "dailying" it, here in AZ as well.

Cops don't keep track of the mileage, at least they didn't for me, so that's no worry. I got pulled over all the damn time and the last thing on the cops mind's was how many miles i'd driven it in the past year..

Only if you are actually at fault in an accident and your mileage is high will it really matter, and the outcome would be your insurance not covering you, right? I risked it..

Hope this helps, and I hope to see the Laurel around. I just went and looked at a c33 to buy locally in Gilbert, still on the fence but I dont think im going to pull the trigger... ugh
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if they actually kept track or not.
If you're anywhere near Gilbert/Tempe/Ahwatukee you'll definitely see me around. And as far as getting the Laurel you were looking at, hell I'd do it I love these things.

Quote:

think about it.
I know what you're getting at. I was debating it and I most likely will follow through if they get high enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
I'll apply for them again. I got denied the first time around for a bs reason.
I'm only 20 and as far as a good driving record goes, mine is somewhat eh.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Most auto policy charge a premium based on length of time you've been licensed. Collector car companies are more strict, They may also refuse to insure if you've had your license less than X years. And most underwriting guidelines are very strict. If you've have more than one moving violation in a 36 month period or a major violation, like more than 20 over, they may decline to insure as well. If your calling agents for collector quotes feel free to ask what their underwriting guidelines are and hopefully you fit in somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokanut View Post
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if they actually kept track or not.
If you're anywhere near Gilbert/Tempe/Ahwatukee you'll definitely see me around. And as far as getting the Laurel you were looking at, hell I'd do it I love these things.

I know what you're getting at. I was debating it and I most likely will follow through if they get high enough.

I'll apply for them again. I got denied the first time around for a bs reason.
I'm only 20 and as far as a good driving record goes, mine is somewhat eh.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
lokanut

Alright so a little follow up: Got denied most places because I'm not 25 yet. Also got denied by Hagerty because I have a careless driving offense on my record.

Afraid I'm out of options. Is there any other way to insure this car so that I don't have to do emissions? Because I know 99% of imports won't pass AZ emissions. I was thinking about registering it outside of my current county because then I wouldn't have to do emissions, but I'm fairly certain you need an address in the county you're registering it in.

Any other ideas or am I going to end up selling/trading this thing? And if that's the case, anyone interested in a Laurel? Lmao.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #19
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Buy a civic
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
lokanut

Kool plan.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #21
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have a 2015 yamaha yzfr3 with 450 miles ill trade you plus cash on my end lol.

Idk what it is about az, but ive had to jump through rediculous hoops to get a '74 to pass emmisions, then i built an '89 240 with an sr20 and they didnt ask for emmisions.

People have also been known to 'live' outside of phx/tucson to skirt emissions. You'd have to change your physical address with the MVD to do it. Check with them but basically you just need a letter addressed to you, and someone you know at that address that can give you your registration when it gets mailed. They also allow a seperate mailing address but dont quote me on that. Better yet, if you reg outside the metro area you can get a 7, yes SEVEN, year registration.

Ask a family member to register it and insure it in their name with you as an and/or on the title and as a driver on the insurance.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #22
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Text me 9792366891 I can send you tags that don't require registration
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote