Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
dori_sil8t is making a name for him/her selfdori_sil8t is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cooling ducting for s13

im going tobe making ducting for my rad.
i have searchd on the site and found everything but the conventional set-up. i dont want to do a v mount set up. cuz i cant afford the downtime as the car is my daily.
so if anyone has some pic's that would be great

unionautoclub.com
dori_sil8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Here's some ducting for ya... SEARCH

http://home.satx.rr.com/nissanweb/RadTest/RadTest.htm
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

dori_sil8t is making a name for him/her selfdori_sil8t is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
Here's some ducting for ya... SEARCH

http://home.satx.rr.com/nissanweb/RadTest/RadTest.htm

i had this link.. but i lost it. thanks for the link tho
+1

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

i need more pics ideas...

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
ducting for the radiator isn't very complicated...

you can make a top panel & a bottom panel... that's about it dood.

you can also remove the a/c condenser to make some room, but really, it's a radiator & the only thing in front of it is the support, crash bar, & front bumper.

top part, you either buy a cooling panel or make your own - only a couple different variations you can make.

bottom part, you just basically use a flat sheet of aluminum/stainless steel whatever you like and rivet or nut & bolt it together. minimal cutting & bending from when I did mine.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

im already running no condenser. back of the hood raised. car doesnt overheat. it just gets to 190 quick thats all

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
Then look at other things like coolant, bleeding air out, checking if your clutch/electric fan is in working condition.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori_sil8t View Post
im already running no condenser. back of the hood raised. car doesnt overheat. it just gets to 190 quick thats all
I think the JDM hood tilt has been myth busted to do more harm than good.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
That could be a host of things (or normal, depending on weather, ur driving, etc) - unrelated to ducting.

I'm sure you could search and read up on it... but since it's your thread, some other suggestions, now that we know what your issue is (sort of):

- oil cooler
- different coolant mix - maybe distilled water/red line water wetter/coolant - mix depending on your weather
- what radiator/fan you are running makes a difference too
- nismo thermostat

Oil cooler makes a big diff for a lot of ppl.

190 F isn't bad @ all. That's about where it should be running if you are tracking it. If it's 190 daily driving, you may have some issues (look above)
Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

fan is a 14" pro form fan
water with some coolant
therm is good
mind you it gets to that temp after 20min or so of driving on a 31c-41c day

two... hood being raised causing harm???

so go 50/50 with distilled water and the ducting should help out.

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

If everything is good, the only thing that would really help your situation is changing out that "pro form fan" - never heard of it. Dual Altimas keep my temps between 70-80C daily driving around so cal. I hit 90C @ track events.

Another thing to look into would be your fan controller - it may not be kicking in soon enough.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

its running off ingition power as of now. the fan works great on track days its stays around 190-200 at the most. but that was in my hatch with a vented hood. running back to back laps(drifting)

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

well, you had one car that was getting 190 @ the track...

now you have another car that is getting 190 dd... you should be smart enough to know what is different between the 2 setups & change that. If you still have a problem, obviously something wrong w/ the car and not w/ the ducting.

I'm banking something is wrong w/ the car - mechanical or the sensor may be spitting a bad signal.

good luck.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
its the vented hood, cruising speeds = non efficient airflow. Only works < 25mph

Do you have your under tray slash sheild?
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

i dont have the vented hood anymore. im gonna change up the coolant.
maybe more red squares would help too.

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
its the vented hood, cruising speeds = non efficient airflow. Only works < 25mph

Do you have your under tray slash sheild?
i never ran one...

unionautoclub.com
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get an Undertray.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
The biggest cooling difference I've seen (having tried everything) is, without a doubt...

OIL COOLER.

I put together a ~$130 oil cooler/remote filter setup using parts commonly available, and my temps haven't gone above 220* (measured at the neck, so it's higher than most readings), even when mashing around @ full throttle for a while. They used to get up to 235* or so, making me want to shut down and take a break.

Currently, I use a cheap 2" aluminum "race" radiator, a 15" Permacool fan (which sucks a ridiculous amount of air, but doesn't sit flush, so I need to make a new shroud), no ducting (haven't made new ducts for the S14), and my oil cooler setup (mounted below passenger headlight).

Cliff notes: oil cooler, ducting. Cheap, and most effective. Do this (and a good water temp gauge) before upgrading to new radiator/fans.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
dori_sil8t
Zilvia Junkie

^^^ ill give that a try couldnt hurt to do it anyways.
thanks

unionautoclub.com