Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
whosaidthenword
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
whosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to whosaidthenword
car won't start after distributor was removed so sad

yoyo felllow zilvians
today is a sad day
i took out my distributor and replaced it
and the sad part is i have tried to get the timing back on closest to the normal but now my car doesn't start.
can anyone hep please?
whosaidthenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Setting KA timing is the most murderous thing on a 240SX. Set it to TDC, line up the shaft, put it in. Try to start it, realize you're off a tooth, then try again for another hour.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
whosaidthenword
BANNED

whosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the roughwhosaidthenword is a jewel in the rough
will the distributor timing not allow my car to start?

My s14 was running fine before, my friend asked to use my distributor, I took it off. Then he put it on. Fired up his car, and knew he blew his distributor so then he gave it back and now I dont know how to get my car to start again.

Im a noob, and just want my car to start. Please help me!

I have my first job interview tomorrow and now my car won't start. Please, I beg anyone on zilvia to help chime in.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
killswitch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
killswitch is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Why don't you ask the friend who borrowed it to help you?
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
whosaidthenword
BANNED

he went on vacation, Hes going to be gone for a week and I need my car running by tomorrow.

Will the distributor timing not make it start?
I need help please, I know about aligning the teeth and all of that. But Im confused. Just break it down for me, I will know what your talking about I just need a step by step.

PLEASE I BEG ALL OF WHO READ THIS.
I have a job interview at vans, Im 16. This is my first car, and I dont try to be a " too Fawty driftaR ". I enjoy my car, and dont want to have to take the bus in my nice clothes in 90 + degree weather. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Russ just gave you a step by step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Setting KA timing is the most murderous thing on a 240SX. Set it to TDC, line up the shaft, put it in. Try to start it, realize you're off a tooth, then try again for another hour.
There's really only two steps.
Set the car to top dead center using the crank pulley marks.
Slide the distributor in like so.

Download the factory service manual (FSM) to help you out. There's only so much we can hold your hand over the internet.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
tckracker
Leaky Injector

tckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enough
Goto the Auto parts store now and buy a Chiltons repair manual for the carand a timing gun. Taking the distributor out will effect alot of things and can cause it not to start. No one is goings to type a step by step for you, if you can read it in a $10 manual. I'm all about taking things apart to see how they work, but lending a part to a friend that didn't help you get your daily driven car running sucks and I would never help that punk again. Also it is possible that your friends car has a short that "fried" his distributor and now yours. Truthfully without being there all you're going to get from Zilvians are guesses. Make sure you get the timing correct or your car will run like crap and can even ruin the engine by having extreme combustion temps and detonation. Buy the book and a timing light, stay up all night, and get the car running by morning. GL.
tckracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
also...clean the Crank pully...there should be white hatch marks on the rear pulley...i believe the TDC mark is the second from the right...not sure...

then u gotta make sure that the distributer is aligne to the #1 plug then just fire her up...yes its a pain when ur a tooth off from TDC...took me an hour and some change to do mine were are u located...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
whosaidthenword
BANNED

ok I got it, my cars running.

thanks alot I really appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
couldn't of said it any better~
Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
killswitch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
killswitch is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosaidthenword View Post
ok I got it, my cars running.

thanks alot I really appreciate it.
Cool, did you have to buy the chilton and time?
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
whosaidthenword
BANNED

All I did was get a 27mm socket, had a friend look at the white/black notches I pulled it by slowly and once it landed dead on I kept it there. then I had him start my car I moved the distributor from the retard side to advance until I hit my idle and it started. Runs perfect now.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
notches FTW

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosaidthenword View Post
All I did was get a 27mm socket, had a friend look at the white/black notches I pulled it by slowly and once it landed dead on I kept it there. then I had him start my car I moved the distributor from the retard side to advance until I hit my idle and it started. Runs perfect now.
you still need to get a gun and time it properly
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
An easy way to set the base timing:

1. Set engine crank pulley to TDC (2nd notch from the left).
2. Take dist. and line up the yellow mark with the notch on the shaft. This puts the dist. to fire on #1 cylinder.
3. Slide the dist in the head, make sure it goes all the way in.
4. Bolt the dist. in place.
5. Re-attach the spark plugs wires to dist.
6. Start car and watch it thump around, but it should start.
7. Now you ned to set the timing to 20 degrees BTDC, which is the factory spec for KA timing. For this you will need a timing light.
8. If you don't have a timing light, then look at the dist. upper mounting bolt. See where the bolt touches the dist. housing? There should be some marks left behind by where the bolt USED to be before you messed with it. You should be able to rotate the dist. so that the bolt sets in the same place it did before you removed the dist.
9. Tighten the dist. back down. Should be good to go.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
osal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
osal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-knownosal is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
u probably flooded the engine wit fuel from the many times tryin to get the timing right, same thing happened to me. Set everything as stated above^ but b4 cranking take the fuel pump fuse out. If it starts then that was ur problem just let it sit until it dies, wait 5 more minutes put fuse bak on and start it.

nvm u got it lol;p
osal is offline   Reply With Quote