Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
melfice_mx

Trader Rating: (0)
melfice_mx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14a (notchtop) to VVL Conversion

Greetings...

Have 1970 Datsun 240z with SR20DET Notchtop engine (see current mods bellow) and would like to do VVL conversion.. have couple questions.. would appreciate, already used search feature..

Can i run current ECU/Harness with ROM tune? - Currently have NA ecu code with JWT ROM tune for current mods.. since Engine is VTC i wondering if can it be used to trigger VVL.

Does SR20DET RWD intake manifold fit VVL head or need to purchase aftermarket intake manifold? Any suggestions?

Located in San Diego Area..

Current car/mods:
1970 Datsun 240z
Engine: 1998 Silvia S14a(kouki) SR20DET Notchtop
Tomei Poncams
GT2871r Turbo
N62 Maf
550cc STI Injectors
HPI Turbo Manifold
JWT 4 Bar tune
R200 3:90 Rear diff
Blitz FMIC, Blitz BOV, FPR, supporting mods, 14psi of boost for now.

19190888_10155487047877502_178087273_n.jpg
22154418_10155871792202502_5788363835984535586_n.jpg
melfice_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have a p11 vvl motor with sr20de jwt ecu with a msd window switch for the vvl and it works flawlessly as long as you are running the right fuel maps. Running stock de harness as well.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
melfice_mx

Wondering if JWT Tune for VTC can be used to activate VVL instead of MSD window switch.. Did you retuned ECU for VVL engine?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can i run current ECU/Harness with ROM tune? - Currently have NA ecu code with JWT ROM tune for current mods.. since Engine is VTC i wondering if can it be used to trigger VVL.

Yes this will work, but it will not work ideally. The ideal setup would be a real standalone that has multiple auxiliary input and outputs such as a AEM or Haltech unit.

Does SR20DET RWD intake manifold fit VVL head or need to purchase aftermarket intake manifold? Any suggestions?

No it does not, you'll need an aftermarket intake such as the Mazworx one. Mazworx actually makes a full VVL swap kit that has all of the pieces that you'll need for the swap

http://www.mazworx.com/store/p/105-M...-Manifold.aspx

http://www.mazworx.com/store/p/96-Ma...rsion-Kit.aspx

You will also need to get a VE oil pump, SR20VET pistons, and a couple of other miscellaneous parts but I covered most of the big ticket items.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by melfice_mx View Post
wondering if jwt tune for vtc can be used to activate vvl instead of msd window switch.. Did you retuned ecu for vvl engine?
i dont think so but then again it could be different since the ecu im running was for a de motor which had nothing of that sort. I would contact jwt to confirm. Had my tuner burn a chip 93 oct and correct fuel maps for vvl.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
melfice_mx

Are SR20VET pistons needed? or just recommended?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I think you need to visit the VE thread. All and I mean every single one of your questions has been answered and in detail.

You will need a window switch to control VVL. If you have anything other than OEM pistons, you'll need to fly cut or replace the existing pistons. OEM pistons can be run with a thicker headgasket. I recommend a piston with valve reliefs if you plan to go that far.