Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
silvia bumper foam

Ok i am in the process of doing a K's aero front bumper conversion on my car and im piecing together everything: the aero bumper, headlights, fenders, light support, grill, hood. I am doing this because i recently spun my car on the highway while trying to slow down and i hit a huge pothole and my car did like a 90 degree turn and then spun like 3 times before stopping facing on-comming traffic. so yea i felt like shit and i think its a lesson learned. Anyway i was reading on how to modify the bumper support and all but i didnt see anything about the foam that came with the usdm front. I know it doesnt fit but is there any way of shaving the foam down and cutting out the holes for the lights?? If not does anyone know where to get foam and, or bumper support (no ebay) dont ask why
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
if the usdm foam is too big, it should be fairly easy to trim it with a knife. I have a jdm rear bumper on my S14 and the usdm foam doesn't fit. Using a utility knife, it was fairly simple to trim it down till it fit.

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
FRISBEE

Trader Rating: (0)
FRISBEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The foam is a impact absorber most JDM cars don't come with the fancy thing the DOT has manufactures put on US spec cars. If you want to install the foam anything is possible but a far as the actual reenforcement bar you'll have to find a JDM one or just make your owne out of 1" or 2" square tubing if safty is a serious issue for you. most chuck those pieces and just use the thin facia support just below your headlamps and attach it to the fenders.
FRISBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRISBEE View Post
The foam is a impact absorber most JDM cars don't come with the fancy thing the DOT has manufactures put on US spec cars. If you want to install the foam anything is possible but a far as the actual reenforcement bar you'll have to find a JDM one or just make your owne out of 1" or 2" square tubing if safty is a serious issue for you. most chuck those pieces and just use the thin facia support just below your headlamps and attach it to the fenders.
^^ the foam isn't a serious safety piece... it just really keeps the bumper cover from taking alot of cosmetic damage from a low speed impact (~5 mph or so)

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
trust me the impact foam saves you from alot more than a 5 mph impact i forgot to tell you but while my car was spinning i hit the divider at about 45-50 mph and when i took it out it looked like it took more impact then the bumper support.

so you think i should just trim the usdm foam down. The reason i am concerned is because i am getting brand new oem nissan stuff not from a front clip. i dont want it to start warping or sagging because this stuff isnt cheap. If anyone knows where i can get the jdm support and foam i would really appreciate it.
redline racer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRISBEE View Post
The foam is an impact absorber most JDM cars don't come with

just trim it...........
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote