Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Cam timings with 248 exhaust cam as an intake

My other post is about my car being way down on power. I am opening it up saturday morning, but i did double check the alignment of the two cams...the one thing I didn't double check was if I moved at all from TDC at the crank while doing this...I doubt this is the issue as I don't think it would be running so smoothly...

I am trying to do the math and based on what my 232 cams do..if I move an exhaust cam to intake it's going to be about 75.8 degrees off, this is '4 teeth' (each cam tooth is 18.95 degrees)...so moving the cam 4 teeth ccw brings the timing back to what it should be.

Now I am looking at my 248 exhaust cam being practically on the money with the four tooth method and any advance or retard will move the cam out of this spec.

If I am right (which would show why many that just throw the 248 cam in without any gears is why they are making decent power and why I am not with my 2.5 deg. advance) then while using my 232 exh as an exhaust cam.:

248 at 4 teeth is opening 1 deg ADTC with 3 degs overlap closing 69 deg ABDC

adv 2.5 degs would be 3.5 deg ADTC with 50 deg overlap and closing 71.5 deg ABDC

retard 2.5 degs would be 1.5 BTDC with 5.5 deg overlap and closing 66.5 ABDC

Adv seems like there is noway it'd make power.

Now some others are saying even with the 4 teeth method you are still 1.5 degrees off...that could well be, here are the numbers in that situation...

248 opens .5 BTDC with 4.5 deg overlap and 67.5 closing ABDC

adv 2.5 -2 ATDC with only 2 deg overlap and closing 70 ABDC

retard 2.5 degs would be 3 deg BTDC with 7 degrees overlap closing 65 ABDC.

All cam setups I looked at stock have 3 degs overlap and open 1 deg ATDC...closing events for the intake cams take place between 51 and 63 degs ABDC.

I don't see how anyone can say they are making power with adv. the cams 2.5 degs on a 248/232 setup with the 248 from a 91-93 S13.

It seems not retarding or advancing will put you closest to stock timing.

Maybe my math is off...anyone else know more? Not looking for links to other threads as I have seen them...looking for anyone else that knows the math here.

Å
Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
bump...some of you that like to say your spoonfeeding everyone may want to chime in here since you know it all
Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Got the cam set up 2.5 retarded today...with 5 deg advance at the distributor...able to lose traction in 1st to 2nd even with my crappy clutch (stock with 98k) and 235/40 Goodyear Asymmetrics. Still need to redyno it...it feels a lot better. Still not as powerful as I want, but I am looking at best getting only 160HP to the wheels in a 2900lb car.

2.5 advance was a total dog. Hard to break traction even with a 5k+ dump.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
The Stig
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
The Stig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to have the "rotated 4 teeth" cam setup on my s14 a while ago, swapped back for smog though I hear I could have probably gotten away with it. Based one what you've found its probably worth it to get adjustable cams.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote