Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
kroos268

Trader Rating: (0)
kroos268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kroos268
What tool req for removing head bolts?

Removing the head today. I see head bolts below cams; and possibly 2 down the middle. This doesn't look like a tool I have. What's the name\size of this tool so that I can pick it up early this morning?

thanks
steve

96 KA24DE
kroos268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Its a giant Allen Wrench there are two types, one looks like an "L" and the other one come as a ratchet attachment, I cant remember the size but I think it s a ??20??

Do not remove the ones in the center those are not head studs, only the ones under the cams
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
MegasquirtCA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
MegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfectionMegasquirtCA is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Im pretty sure its not 20 thats a big ass hex socket. Its most likely a 10mm Hex Socket. I know on the CA its a 10 Hex.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
nathancolston
BANNED

nathancolston has a spectacular aura aboutnathancolston has a spectacular aura aboutnathancolston has a spectacular aura aboutnathancolston has a spectacular aura aboutnathancolston has a spectacular aura aboutnathancolston has a spectacular aura about
and don't forget to remove the head and cams in the correct sequence.
nathancolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
SammyGreen
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
SammyGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSammyGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSammyGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSammyGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSammyGreen has a spectacular aura aboutSammyGreen has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I just put in my head studs 2 nites ago, its a 10mm allen for sure....
SammyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegasquirtCA View Post
Im pretty sure its not 20 thats a big ass hex socket. Its most likely a 10mm Hex Socket. I know on the CA its a 10 Hex.
My bad i Just checked it it is a 10 get the one for a ratchet so you can attach it to a a breaker bar

Its been awhile I knew there was a "0" in there lol
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
10mm hex socket. Buy a quality one, they're tight enough to twist/break a cheap tool. I've even got a Craftsman socket that looks like a pretzel due to some fool overtorquing the head.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
kroos268

kroos268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kroos268
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancolston View Post
and don't forget to remove the head and cams in the correct sequence.
What is the sequence??
kroos268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the one that's specified in the FSM

if you're doing that kind of work, you should probably have one anyway.
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
SamuraiSam

SamuraiSam is an unknown quantity at this point
Crosswise Outside -> in for removal crosswise and inside -> out for installation. Every engine is like this. The #'d bolts in the FSM help to illustrate this point. Do not remove cam caps or a head on any aluminum motor... hell any engine, straight front to back or back to front

"You are going to work all your life to become an overnight success." -Warren Miller
SamuraiSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
make sure you loosen the bolts by steps instead of all at once.....that leads to head warpage
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote