Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #31
LAWL

Trader Rating: (2)
LAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of lightLAWL is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have an update for Street Mod.

You can no longer just use "any nissan engine" Since the update/backdate revision, the only two engines you could use in the case of our cars would be the KA24DE and the KA24E. You could only upgrade from the E to the DE (Or even downgrade for whatever the reason) But no SR20 because it was not offered stateside in the S chassis and definitely no RB/VQ etc.

An example local to me is a 1986 Prelude running a b16a2 from a 99-00 Civic Si. It was legal until update/backdate because it was a Honda engine. After update/backdate the car became an XP car and was basically useless for anything other than a bunch of fun.

Likewise, putting that same b16a2 into a 96-00 civic ex/dl/lx would be completely legal for SM.
LAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #32
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWL View Post
But no SR20 because it was not offered stateside in the S chassis and definitely no RB/VQ etc.
RB/VQ yes, but are you sure about the SR?

From pg 117 of Solo Rules book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Solo Rules - Section 16.1.D.1
Engine block must be a production unit manufactured and badged the same as the original standard or optional engine for that model. Badges that exist as marketing aliases for the manufacturer will be recognized as equivalents... This allows engine blocks manufactured as production units for sale in other countries such as Japan or Germany.
From that, essentially, I interpret that as the following: as long as the engine was in the chassis somewhere in the world as a production model (i.e. sr's & ca's), then it is legal for SM.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
silsx13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (34)
silsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silsx13
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeAs240sx View Post
RB/VQ yes, but are you sure about the SR?

From pg 117 of Solo Rules book:

From that, essentially, I interpret that as the following: as long as the engine was in the chassis somewhere in the world as a production model (i.e. sr's & ca's), then it is legal for SM.

Hey QV! Good to see you here on Zilvia!

But anyways, I have seen many 240s that have participated in solo2 events with SR engines that have been classed as SM or SM2 basically.

It would kinda suck if SCCA banned 240s with SR engines from competition.

If that happened, I figure there'd be a riot, haha.

Blog: http://hartapexlife.blogspot.com/

silsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #34
John@240sxmotoring

John@240sxmotoring is an unknown quantity at this point
Update on STX:

You can run up to a 9" wheel with a 265 tire on a 2WD car

Still 245 for an AWD car.
John@240sxmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
Mac Attack

Trader Rating: (0)
Mac Attack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scca itr 84 300 zx

Anyone have any info on preping an 84 zx for ITR Class? I know it's not a great chassi, but I have one to use.

Thanks
Mac Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #36
darkness_and_light

darkness_and_light is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 SCCA Solo II G stock

The 240SX will be more competitive for the 2010 SCCA Solo II Autocross season in the G Stock class. The Mini Cooper S which dominated the class is being bumped up the the D Stock class.

The Pax rating for G stock is also being changed from 0.821 to 0.812. That basically means the adjusted time on a 60 second run would move from 49.26 seconds to 48.72 seconds, an extra half second off the time. It is the largest handicap increase being made, most other classes are having their handicaps decreased.

The 240SX won't become the class leader, the Hyundai Genesis will probably take that spot but locally and regionally we can still take a shot at the gold. Lets get ready for 2010
darkness_and_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #37
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
My car weighs under 2280lbs and is running tires less than 275mm in section width. I have no stock pieces in the suspension anymore, a full aftermarket brake swap, bracing everywhere, but a stock KA. Fiberglass hood and deck lid with no hinges.

I'm thinking that puts me in SSM/SM2, but maybe that 200lb allowance leaves me in SM.

Which class would be right?
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #38
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
bracing everywhere

I'm thinking that puts me in SSM/SM2, but maybe that 200lb allowance leaves me in SM.

Which class would be right?
list your braces - for all the street classes (including SM), the braces you are allowed to run are very limited. i.e. if you have a power brace or fender brace or ladder brace, etc - you are technically disqualified.

You will be in SM, not SM2/SSM - those are for 2 seaters & specifically listed vehicles.

In Los Angeles Region, there is a "CST" Class, which is the basically "anything goes w/ street tires" catch all class for registerable vehicles (no kit cars). It's a great class for local competition & not having to worry about rules while you build your car, etc.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #39
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Front and rear strut braces, power brace, fender braces, shakitto braces (damper tower to firewall), subframe braces.

Screw it, I want more track time anyway.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #40
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
power brace, fender braces, shakitto braces (damper tower to firewall), subframe braces.

Screw it, I want more track time anyway.
not sure what you mean by "screw it, i want more track time anyway" - whether you are saying "screw autox, i'm going hpde only" or "screw the classing, i'm going anyway"

short version:
classing should not discourage you from learning to drive your car at the limit...

long version:
those disqualify you for sure from SM. You'd be put in one of the Prepared Classes - EP; or XP if you have a turbo or engine swap. That's the official national classing. You can also always run "time-only" if you are self conscious about competing against basically race cars.

If you aren't competing nationally & want to see how you do, there should be a local Street Tire class (like I said, LA region has "CST" & "CSM"). There's also a Novice Index if you really want.

The strut tower braces are fine if they are 2 point (for the SM and below classes).

All that being said, what class you run in your first year doesn't really matter - you are there to learn, right? Almost every track guy who's been out to autox's have found the experience to be very educational & enjoyed it a lot more than they thought they would.

My friend & I competed in XP last year with STREET TIRES at the Pro Solo; we got our asses handed to us, but we had one hell of a time.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #41
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

I'm not really sure what it meant. I like the fact that at most track days, I can get hours of time on track versus several minutes, but I also like the fact that an autocross is 25 minutes away rather than three hours.

I am not self-conscious of competing against race cars because that's what my car pretends to be most of the time anyway.

I am there to learn; I feel like the kid who last rode a bike three years ago and just hopped on one.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #42
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

as I said, almost every track guy who's been out to autox's have found the experience to be very educational & enjoyed it a lot more than they thought they would.

fyi, there's also going to be autox's in the El Toro area starting in March (check out LA region's site/forum) - the "lot" there is much larger than qualcomm.

give it a try, don't worry about classing - attend a practice if you want (more runs); or buy x-runs (i know at least LA region lets you - 3 additional runs w/o a work assignment); get an instructor to ride-along or drive your car (I find both very educational).

I do every kind of track/autox/rallyx event I can as often as I can - driving is fun. they're all different experiences & each have their own advantages & disadvantages - you can go on all day about autox vs hpde vs whatever.

ok, enough of the thread jacking - we've solved your classing issue, anything else can go on a different/more appropriate thread.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #43
silsx13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (34)
silsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant futuresilsx13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silsx13
KA

Quote:
as I said, almost every track guy who's been out to autox's have found the experience to be very educational & enjoyed it a lot more than they thought they would.

give it a try, don't worry about classing - attend a practice if you want (more runs); or buy x-runs (i know at least LA region lets you - 3 additional runs w/o a work assignment); get an instructor to ride-along or drive your car (I find both very educational).

I do every kind of track/autox/rallyx event I can as often as I can - driving is fun. they're all different experiences & each have their own advantages & disadvantages - you can go on all day about autox vs hpde vs whatever.
Couldn't agree more QV- It shouldn't matter in the beginning what class your car falls into concerning Autox; What matters is just getting out there and having fun driving your 240!

Plus, the cost of just autox'ing for a saturday practice is relatively cheap: It's only $60-70 usually which will net you 12-14 runs (depending on # of cars and if the event runs smoothly w/o any hiccups). And, you can learn a lot about your car and yourself in those runs.

Anyways, QV and I are regulars in the SoCal Autox circuit so if you'd like to come check out an event KA24DESOneThree, you're more than welcomed to. Plus, we'd like to see more 240sxs out there representing the scene....

Blog: http://hartapexlife.blogspot.com/

silsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #44
gripster
Leaky Injector

gripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the roughgripster is a jewel in the rough
This is from 2 years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster View Post
My car is basically stock besides the f/r STBs and 17" spec V rims -- no lowering springs. I ran in DSP, am I handicapping myself? Should i run in STS or STX?
Current setup for DSP (everything else stock):

F/R stbs
tein s-techs
tokico blues
J30 lsd (new this year)
Toyo RA1s on s13 SE rims (new this year)

17" Spec V rims for the street

Predictions?

I came in 4th in a local autox series last year. The top DSP driver has an early 90s Honda Civic Si hatch, sometimes on Hoosiers. Hoping to do a track day or 2 since i only did one last year.

Last edited by gripster; 01-27-2010 at 02:18 AM..
gripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #45
Wildcard

Wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I see this thread isnt completely dead, BUT, what would one consider a reasonably quiet exhaust? And I know bushings must be factory type, does anyone make a rubber bushing kit?
Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
NewfoundlandDude

Trader Rating: (1)
NewfoundlandDude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll throw this up for interest.
We run different classing under ASN/FIA here in Eastern Canada, but I'd like to know where I'd fit and why for SCCA rules.

S14

Engine:
S14 SR20DET
AEM ECU controlling boost
Tomei Poncams
AEM FPR
HKS 740CC injectors
Walbro 255
S15 60mm N/A Throttle body
ATI Super damper pulley
ARC oil pan
Koyo Rad
Electric fans + HKS fan controller

Drivetrain:
Driveshaftshop aluminum driveshaft
S15 diff in S14 pumpkin
Exedy lightened flywheel
ACT 6 puck clutch
B&M Short Shifter

Turbo/Exhaust:
GT2871R .64
AEM solenoid
Full race manifold
Greddy turbo elbow
3" TurboXS DP with Vibrant "high flow" cat
Invidia 3" catback
HKS IC piping, SSQBV, and intercooler

Suspension:
Enduratech coilovers
Rear Stance tenders
Tein Tension rods
Godspeed FLCA with QA-1 bearings/rod ends
Redrilled knuckle for FLCA 3/4" bolt + custom adjustment
SPL + Z32 tie rods
Kazama RUCA and toe rods
Bings traction rods
F/R Tanabe sway bars
Custom front end links
ES rear end links

Bracing/chassis:
Stealth Fender braces
Stealth tension rod brace
Aluminum rear subframe bushings
Aluminum diff bushings
ES steering rack bushings
Sound deadening removed
Bolt in Cusco rear cage section
Aftermarket wheel+hub
Normal wideband + gauges + etc

Brakes:
Front 13" 4 piston Brembo GT Kit - braided lines
Rear Z32 brakes + ebrake
Hawk HP+ pads + braided lines
17/16" BMC
ABS Modules removed

Wheels:
18x9.5 +22 Volk TE37
18x8.5 +35 Volk TE37
265/35/18 Hankook R-S2
235/40/18 Hankook R-S2
or

17x8 + 35 Enkei RPF1
245/40/17 BFG R1 (r-comps)

That's all I can think of.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #47
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Fender braces put you in X Prepared (XP); and probably the aftermarket flca & redrilled knuckles, as well.

Otherwise, you'd fall under Street Modified (SM), as far as I can tell. If you are interested in knowing exactly which pieces (engine swap is the most obvious one), there's a rulebook available on scca.com.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #48
NewfoundlandDude

Thanks.
What are the rules on solid bushings?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #49
NewfoundlandDude

Quote:
In Los Angeles Region, there is a "CST" Class, which is the basically "anything goes w/ street tires" catch all class for registerable vehicles (no kit cars). It's a great class for local competition & not having to worry about rules while you build your car, etc.

Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions, but where can I find some info on the CST class?

Our club has been flirting with the SCCA classing as of late, and I'd like to get some info on this class if possible. The only documentation I've found is this results sheet that lists CST and CM, but no real online information besides some forum references to it.

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...032810_fin.htm

If anyone has any information, please pass it along.
Thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #50
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

don't remember the rule on solid bushings because I don't have solid bushing. You'd have to scour through the rule book I listed above, wait for another person to answer on here, or ask on the scca boards.

CST class is found in our local region site's supplementals - should be on California Sports Car Club - Solo - SCCA.

It has very simple requirements:
1) The car has to be "capable of being registered" in California
2) The car has tires that are 140+ treadwear
Old 04-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #51
NewfoundlandDude

Thanks again brokeAs240sx
Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #52
H_K_S
Leaky Injector

H_K_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Does the SCCA put on track days anywhere? Say, Barber Motorsports Park or Road Atlanta?
Thanks
H_K_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #53
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
You'd have to look up your Region and find the Schedule
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #54
tougemiata
Zilvia Member

tougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to beholdtougemiata is a splendid one to behold
Any idea if RHD is legal on a national level? Thinking of dumping my current auto-x car and getting a s15, but its RHD obviously. I don't want to spend the money to get a good car only to find out I can't go to nationals. Any idea? I can't find it in the rule book or online.
tougemiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #55
angelus erratus
Leaky Injector

angelus erratus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tougemiata View Post
Any idea if RHD is legal on a national level? Thinking of dumping my current auto-x car and getting a s15, but its RHD obviously. I don't want to spend the money to get a good car only to find out I can't go to nationals. Any idea? I can't find it in the rule book or online.
have you tried an nc? it looks like they can fit wide tires under those arches. rx8 seems like it would do good too.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #56
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Why no mention of the STU class for us? Am I the only guy running a 240 in there? It allows for up to 285 wide tires if you can fit them, I run a 255f/275r set up and I have no problem being very competitive with the STi and EVO guys in my class because they are limited to a 245.
holemilk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #57
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
Why no mention of the STU class for us? Am I the only guy running a 240 in there? It allows for up to 285 wide tires if you can fit them, I run a 255f/275r set up and I have no problem being very competitive with the STi and EVO guys in my class because they are limited to a 245.
Probably because the original post was written in 2003 & STU didn't become a class until 2004 . Good input nonetheless.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #58
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
I would like to know what class I would be put with my s14with current mods:
Engine:
rb25det
Greddy IM
Greddy oil cooler
FMIC
HKS BOV
3" from turbo back
stock turbo
255lph walbro
act sprung 6-puck(stock flywheel)
Wheels,suspension,brakes:
17X9 +20F 17X10.5 +15R dunlop star spec 235-40-17F 265-40-17R
stance coilovers
PBM RUCA's
300zx PBM rotor upgrade
PBM rear rotor upgrade stock calipers

As you can see this car was never intended for SCCA but I want to learn as much as possible and in doing so already have an SCCA membership and plan on volunteering in some of the events in order to get a feel for the procedures.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #59
princess.chia20

princess.chia20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Camaro Tech: Performance parts, installations and race modifications for Third Generation 1982-1992 Camaros
princess.chia20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #60
negrielectronics

negrielectronics is an unknown quantity at this point
samsung galaxy tab 10.1

So nice forum....Your forum plays an important role in the field of our business..Thanks for sharing it for all of us:-)

samsung galaxy tab 10.1
negrielectronics is offline   Reply With Quote