Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Jkrb25s14

Trader Rating: (0)
Jkrb25s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rb25 s14 shuts off after 15 minutes of driving (read whole post)

Ok guys so heres whatsup, this is a long post fair warning.
i have a series 1 rb25det in my 95 s14. I got it a year ago tuned it on a z32 MAF and a z32 na ecu with nismotronics, found out it had a bad turbo, but it was reliable, no hiccups at all.
So i pull motor and trans, planned on building it but didnt, just inspected block without pulling everything out, it had compression. I lapped the valves, new head gasket, rear main seal, thermostat, oil pan, arp head studs, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, cxracing exhaust manifold, freddy intake, q45 throttle body, wiring specialties oem main harness, precision 5858bb, id1050x injectors, precision 38mm wastegate, radium fuel rail, SARD FPR, warlboro 255 wired on its own relay, new fuel return and supply from tank to engine bay, fuel filter, battery in trunk, oem z32 MAF since the original was a knock off replacement.

So with all that said i get it tuned it makes 470whp 350tq. Runs damn good, until its warm.
Once its warmed up it stalls out, on the data log everything looks good with the ecu, the only thing that happens is the MAF voltage drops and the rpms just drop even when throttle is still applied.
You can start it back up and its a 50/50 shot if its running super fat with afr at 9 at idle, or its normal. So i can take back off and lay into it and it does a normal healthy pull and then again it hiccups again. And it constantly will do it.

Ive tested the MAF already its good, TPS is good, VCT is working, ecu is getting VSS signal.

The only thing that drops out on the log is the MAF voltage and rpm like i said. Guys im so lost at this point
Jkrb25s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
joshg51
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
joshg51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is there anyway to monitor the water temp? its possible that the sensor for could be faulty at higher temperatures. Ive seen it happen with a Land Rover where once it crawled up to 90c that it opened the circuit making the computer think its massively hot and shutting itself off. Water temp sensors can affect the computer a lot.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
Jkrb25s14

Yeah i can data log on my laptop and see what the ecu is doing. Ill monitor that next, from what i remember, and what my tuner told me, that temp was fine. But im still going to confirm that real time for myself
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Who tuned it? If Je I'd bet that's the problem.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Sounds like an ECU limit/failsafe is set or you are coming up the upper limit of the MAF sensor.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Jkrb25s14

John kerr of jk tuning did it. He had it on dyno but didnt drive it around.
I am pushing the limits of the maf im at 470 its good till 480 500. But it does it when im just cruising.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Look at your overboost table in the nemu
Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Jkrb25s14

What will the over boost table show me? And how do i get to it?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Overboost or MAF limit table. Basically its a failsafe that if MAF hits a certain voltage, it shuts everything down.

Look up on the nismotronic website for the manual........or just ask John to look at your logs.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Jkrb25s14

John has been looking at my logs and he says he doesnt see anything out of the ordinary besides the MAF voltage drop and the rpms drop even though im still giving throttle. He hasnt been able to find anything.
Last words from john to me were "check the fuse box and relays" idk how the fuse box or relays would cause this issue though
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
projects14zenki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
projects14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rpm loss would be from your cam angle sensor, where is the maf located? Is it on the cold side? Maybe a ecu issue
projects14zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Jkrb25s14

Would a bad cam angle sensor come up in the datalog? And my MAF is still on intake before turbo
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
projects14zenki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
projects14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don’t think it will show up, it will just drop rpm. Unless you can use a scope and read the signal and physically see it drop. Have you always had your maf on the intake before the turbo? I once had a issue I forgot the symptom and moved my maf from that location to the cold side. Someone called it a blow through maf set up.
projects14zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Jkrb25s14

Yea my maf has always been on the intake side
Never had a blow through set up