Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #61
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nobody here talk about the real numbers and every home owner believe that they "built equity" and can only get richer when signing that 30 years mortgage.

Tell me the real cost of living in that 2 bedroom one bathroom house without cutting on water, heat or electricity usage and then lets compare it with cost of renting similar size apartment.

I can understand if you say "it's an image thing" or "I love to stay home and work in my own garden" or "because my mom said so" but the numbers doesn't add up at least in Toronto. Less and less young couples can afford buying that house yet you want me to believe that in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years you will sell your houses and get even or make profit?

I like to visit my friends in the summer, having a beer or two at theirs backyard but feel sorry for them when the summer is over. Love the possibility of working in your own garage but there is only so much you can do there if you have assholes neighbours.

I don't know who is buying today but I know that most of the people hate math and are not good at it.
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #62
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Yeah, it's crazy how different parts of the country or even different cities in the same area vary so much.

I was watching that House Hunters where they were in Chicago and the prices area crazy just compared to Milwaukee (where I live). And I love and HATE Chicago. I love Milwaukee. But on that show there was a POS bungalow going for $350k and a decent one for $400. Heck I can build a brand new amazing house here for $400 just 15 miles out of downtown (in Milwaukee traffic that would be about a 15 minute drive). But then we have areas right near downtown like Fox Point, and Whitefish Bay (or White Folks Bay as it's called) where a house like the one in Chicago would be $500k.

As far as remodeling, I don't quite get their costs. I think for the shows they have a budget and not all factors are built into the cost as they would a normal consumer. THAT or labor is extremely cheap in CA where most of these houses are renovated. One of my clients locally is a top remodeling company and they do bathrooms alone for $60k. And I'm not talking gigantic bathrooms, just nice ones. So again, I don't think the renovation costs quoted on the shows are accurate or if they are they are accurate to CA only.

My wife and I are finally at a point where we want to buy another house and we're looking in the $300k range. Another thing that comes into play that I don't know if anyone mentioned yet is Taxes. We have really high taxes here. We wrote and offer on a house in a very sought after neighborhood (in Milwaukee Co where the taxes are crazy) just a few weeks ago and the taxes were $6700/ year. That made up almost $600 of the mortgage we would have had. Now if we bought a house for the same price in Waukesha Co (next to Milwaukee where we used to live), City of New Berlin where we used to live, the taxes are like $4500. That only adds $375 to our mortgage. Obviously that makes the home more affordable. The only reason we even considered the higher tax home was because of the house being on the most beautiful park in the state of WI (a State that receives multiple awards every year for our parks) and the house being built buy a specific architect, etc etc.

But yeah, buying and affording a house is a big decision. But owning a home has so many advantages to renting. God I can't wait to get out of the place (renting) I'm in now.
Oh taxes... I pay about $2800 a year on property taxes. Though I can't really complain as there's a ton of new schools, parks, and recreational areas around here that are well maintained by the city. At least I can see where my tax dollars are going.

That house looks great by the way... I should dig up a few pictures of our place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
That is crazy high taxes compared to here. Last year were paid $775/year. The prior year it was 875. My dad built a complete log home on an acre of land and 2500sq ft, and his taxes aren't much more than 1600. It was appraised at over a million, but because he literally assembled it with his bare hands and a friend who is a contractor, it only cost about 350k to build.
HAHA I wish my taxes were that amount a year. And it's only going to go up once I finish the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cured13 View Post
Nobody here talk about the real numbers and every home owner believe that they "built equity" and can only get richer when signing that 30 years mortgage.

Tell me the real cost of living in that 2 bedroom one bathroom house without cutting on water, heat or electricity usage and then lets compare it with cost of renting similar size apartment.

I can understand if you say "it's an image thing" or "I love to stay home and work in my own garden" or "because my mom said so" but the numbers doesn't add up at least in Toronto. Less and less young couples can afford buying that house yet you want me to believe that in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years you will sell your houses and get even or make profit?

I like to visit my friends in the summer, having a beer or two at theirs backyard but feel sorry for them when the summer is over. Love the possibility of working in your own garage but there is only so much you can do there if you have assholes neighbours.

I don't know who is buying today but I know that most of the people hate math and are not good at it.
Wait what? "Real Numbers" are the figures that you calculate when purchasing a home. Hydro and water are factored into the cost of living for your mortgage when you're getting your loan.

Building equity is applicable only when you are maintaining your current residence, and that the market is strong. It's a lot harder to get approved for a mortgage in Canada because of the new lending laws. Gone are the days of people taking 30-35 years to pay off their homes. 25 years is the longest term you can borrow for, and the CHMC is a heck of a lot stricter as to whom can borrow (and under what terms).

Banks are still somewhat unrealistic as to how the calculate what you can actually afford since they only tie hydro and water, and property taxes to the costs.

"Real cost of living" is what you make it. It's like a lot of people here have mentioned. Live within your means, and you'll be fine. Purchase a expensive home that's beyond your means, just because the bank thought that you can carry the costs, then I wish you good luck, because you will need it.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #63
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just compare the bills: one year renting 2beds 1 washroom (all in) vs one year of owning that house
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #64
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Just compare the bills: one year renting 2beds 1 washroom (all in) vs one year of owning that house
Mortgage: $788
Water:$26 (includes waste disposal)
Taxes (built into the mortgage payment)
Electric: Paid $137 last month in the heat of the summer

As far building equity.... My house was bought for 100k, the house across the street from me built in 69 (mine built in 89) sold for 130k cash. Last "estimate" according to Zillow puts my house in the $137k today and with the addition of all things the city is putting in (Amphitheater, Train system, and shopping district), it should only improve.

That said, I didn't buy my house for what it will be worth 10/15/20 years from now. I bought it for the market it is in, that my rent is basically controlled by me, and when I'm paying the bills.... I have something at the end.

As for rent, they are putting new apartments at the end of my block (right next to the train station that is already up and running), 1b/1B starting at the 9-1000/month. Same goes for where my sister used to live. (lets not even get into the fact there is no renters insurance in that price or doggy fees for pets)

Sure we have to mow the lawn and change our own air filters and light bulbs, but rent by and large seems to be a great deal for those renting the place out.

PS Zillow estimates we could rent our house today for $1250/month, which even that seems low consider what renting an apartment costs locally.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #65
LEG1T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
LEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It should be known that renting is throwing away money.

Makes sense if your a baller or have too poor of credit to get financed. Otherwise financially... Owning > Renting
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #66
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
You should base your house cost 2 1/2 times combined salary. This is a good measurement of what you can afford.
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #67
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i have an aunt whose into property. she owns a couple shopping centers and plenty of homes that are always rented out. paid for in cash, and usually foreclosed. she always has tenants, and starts to profit after only a year. then i have other friends who have 3 $500k homes, two of which are rented out. another one just bought his first home at 28 years old, and it's a $500k house. He's got the cash to pay it all off now but he decided to put a fat down payment and just finance the rest.

so if you want to live in a very nice house and not have to worry about money, start your own business and be profitable. Lol
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #68
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
I make pretty damn good money and have accepted the fact that I won't be able to buy a house until the next bubble bursts. It's pretty ridiculous when tech bros and people from China not only outbid the asking by at least $50k, but also pay in cash. I'm remodeling my dad's house for him, already put close to $12k into it, and barely made a dent. More power to some of you, but fixer uppers definitely aren't my thing.

On top of that, actually having a shortage of houses for sale in SF and tenants beginning to require a salary and credit score threshold just to rent.

By the way, no one outside of the SF bay area gets to bitch. Ever......
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #69
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Pretty interesting thread going on.

Me and my fiance have been window shopping houses and areas for the last 6 months or so just to see what we like, dislike need and can live with. And like Exitspeed said, the area that we are from (Milwaukee area) There is a huge range in prices just within a 30-40 minute drive.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #70
rundown240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
rundown240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Built in 2007
Bought in 2009 for $171k
30 yr fixed rate
Mortgage: $929.45 monthly (includes priciple, interest, and escrow)
APR: 3.63%
Taxes: Covered by my escrow
Insurance: Covered by my escrow
Water: ~$50, includes garbage and sewer(thanks to desert landscaping)
Electricity: ~$60 in cool months and ~$200 in hotter months
Gas: ~$50
Total: $1089-$1229 depending on the month
Zillow Zestimate (lol): $252k

(Not bad for 2,942 sq ft, 2 story, 4 bd, 3 ba, 3 car house)

In the end I'm owning my house and can do what I want with it. Plus I'm currently renting it out right now, so now I only pay the mortgage payment. My renters pay me $1,500 monthly
rundown240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #71
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Bought my house for $240k.

Mortgage, utilities, and property taxes all together are below $1100/month. Average rent in the area is $2,000/month.

Current property estimate is $315k based on the previous condition (prior to remodeling). A freshly remodeled property in my area with similar dimensions is $360k.

$240k + $30k (remodel) = $270k. I'll probably sink in another $30k to the house since I'm having my entire backyard redone, garage interior remodel, and new driveway.

After a year, I'm already up $90k. I can't think of another investment turning such a large profit in such a short amount of time. At the market's peak, it was worth $450k. It's obviously equity at this point, but I'd be stupid to sell it.

Definitely going to collect that rent check though once I have kids and need something bigger. After having worked as a personal banker in an upscale/high net worth area and talking to so many retired folks, the majority of them had made their money in real estate. Most still owned the first property they ever purchased. Sure, times were different back then, properties cost far less than what they do today, but interest rates were close to 20%.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #72
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
To future home buyers-
Look at how much resources you put into a car (both money, and time doing research, fixing/ect) over a course of a year. You probably could have bought a house. Not all houses are 500k. Ever since I put the car stuff on pause a couple years ago, I've gotten into real estate investing. All of my houses are under $110k and generate profit at a high performance IMO.

Most major markets (DC, NY, LA, Bay, ect) are over inflated again, however in secondary and below markets, there are still an abundance of decent priced foreclosures.

Also, there is more than one way to buy a house. You dont need to get a mortgage through a bank. You don't need an agent taking a cut. Some of the great investors out there got their start with no "real" job or much money at all. When you deal with a sale-by-owner, the two parties can get creative with financing methods.

My first house i bought on the internet through an auction about a year out of college without an agent. I had no idea what I was doing, I just winged it honestly. At the same time I bought a retired east coast drift car, and a new truck. I only needed a couple thousand for the house. Hind-sight it was stupid to buy the truck and drift car, but I wanted to make a point that you really don't need a whole lot of money to do it, and you can get creative with it.

Another point I want to throw out there, do you really need a house? Is owning a home of your own something you really want to do, or is it something someone else told you is a good thing to do? Depending on the market you live in, it is cheaper to rent. That depends on your lifestyle as well. Despite the fact that I own houses, my designed lifestyle is better suited towards renting.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #73
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doback View Post

My buddy just bought a house for $450k and that is with a 65k/yr salary, no wife/kids and we are both 2 years out of school and make the same income.
Are there any details missing from that? I had a similar starting salary out of college, but was only approved for a $250k loan at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
If you wanted to open up a long terms savings plan (like 3-4 years at least) What would you guys recommend putting money into? I want something that has a higher APY than a regular savings account.
3-4 years is not long term. The best I've seen is roughly 1%. Even then, you're technically still loosing value assuming inflation is where its supposed to be.

If you're serious about long term, invest your money. Don't save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEG1T View Post
... Owning > Renting
That is so wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #74
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

double post
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #75
LEG1T
Zilvia Addict

LEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfectionLEG1T is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
That is so wrong.
How so????
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #76
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:

Makes sense if your a baller or have too poor of credit to get financed. Otherwise financially... Owning > Renting
Agreed 100000%

I still live at home for this exact reason. Trying to save up for a nice downpayment and waiting on my gf to finish nursing school. Im not ashamed of it at all. I cringe when I see friends sign apartment leases and see them just simply throw their money away.

Nobody answered my previous posted question though:

If you were going to set up I guess you can say a long term "piggy bank" for a house down payment where would you put your money into? I am looking into something that has a pretty good APY. I am leaning towards a money market account but I dont know if theres anything better or not.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #77
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Agreed 100000%

I still live at home for this exact reason. Trying to save up for a nice downpayment and waiting on my gf to finish nursing school. Im not ashamed of it at all. I cringe when I see friends sign apartment leases and see them just simply throw their money away.
I wish I would have had that luxury. I rented three different places by your age and bought my house at 25.

Quote:
Nobody answered my previous posted question though:

If you were going to set up I guess you can say a long term "piggy bank" for a house down payment where would you put your money into? I am looking into something that has a pretty good APY. I am leaning towards a money market account but I dont know if theres anything better or not.
I can't answer your question really. My wife and I have money in all kinds of places.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #78
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
How so????
When a person pays rent, it is not a waste of money, that is the cost of living. When you make payments for a home using a traditional bank financed method, part of that money does go towards paying off the house, but an equal or more amount goes to the bank, insurance company, the city and other services. Additionally, you take on the responsibility for maintenence. Of course it dpends on the area you are in and whether or not the numbers work out.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #79
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
When a person pays rent, it is not a waste of money, that is the cost of living. When you make payments for a home using a traditional bank financed method, part of that money does go towards paying off the house, but an equal or more amount goes to the bank, insurance company, the city and other services. Additionally, you take on the responsibility for maintenence. Of course it dpends on the area you are in and whether or not the numbers work out.

You also give up the flexibility of easily relocating. You also pay a realtor 6% and finci all fees. Buying a house can cost $10-20k up front and that doesn't even touch the base cost of the house.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #80
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Yes, thanks. That is a big one and it completely depends on how one want to design his/her lifestyle.

there is no one choice fits all.

For some people, being in a place he or she is comfortable with, and have that stable job for decades to come is what he/she wants.
For others, experiencing new places and people and constantly learning new things is life.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #81
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Rules of thumb for house buying is keeping your mortgage,upkeep expenses and property taxes below what you would normally pay to rent. Now with that said Silverbullet is right. In a lot of situations these days renting is the better way to. You think you are doing something with the mortgage money because it's going there and not being squandered on rent. Like he said there are expenses some of that money is going to you never get back. Cost of living period. Ya you can try and look at a owning a House as an investment but if you do you are slipping into the same game that has a lot of people underwater now and in the last few years.
Houses are not meant to be investment vehicle. They are meant to be security so you raise a family in a nice neighborhood to send your kids to school. There is a reason a 30 year mortgage was the norm. People did not buy houses to trade up equity. Unless you are professional contractor or real estate person who specializes in buying houses fixing them and flipping them it's pure dangerous for the average consumer or home owner/ would be home owner.
There are exceptions and I know a few have spoken up here. It's just like buying and selling cars. Some can do it most cannot and fact is most should not.

People need to stop looking at houses like piggy banks. It's a roof over your head and a shelter from the storm.
Oh and there are other things to invest that yield much safer profits over the long term. Housing in this market where I live has indeed gone into another bubble. It is not as bad as the previous one but it's a bubble none the less. It will pop. If you are speculating onit you better be pretty smart to know when to pull out before it does.

Now if you went into thinking this is were I am going to live for the next 10-15'years or more and you meet the previous criteria I stated then it's not a bad thing. It may not be as great as you think though either

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #82
ineedone
Zilvia Member

ineedone is an unknown quantity at this point
Surprised none of you nerds posted this yet.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0

Have fun!
ineedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #83
LEG1T
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Rules of thumb for house buying is keeping your mortgage,upkeep expenses and property taxes below what you would normally pay to rent. Now with that said Silverbullet is right. In a lot of situations these days renting is the better way to. You think you are doing something with the mortgage money because it's going there and not being squandered on rent. Like he said there are expenses some of that money is going to you never get back. Cost of living period. Ya you can try and look at a owning a House as an investment but if you do you are slipping into the same game that has a lot of people underwater now and in the last few years.
Houses are not meant to be investment vehicle. They are meant to be security so you raise a family in a nice neighborhood to send your kids to school. There is a reason a 30 year mortgage was the norm. People did not buy houses to trade up equity. Unless you are professional contractor or real estate person who specializes in buying houses fixing them and flipping them it's pure dangerous for the average consumer or home owner/ would be home owner.
There are exceptions and I know a few have spoken up here. It's just like buying and selling cars. Some can do it most cannot and fact is most should not.

People need to stop looking at houses like piggy banks. It's a roof over your head and a shelter from the storm.
Oh and there are other things to invest that yield much safer profits over the long term. Housing in this market where I live has indeed gone into another bubble. It is not as bad as the previous one but it's a bubble none the less. It will pop. If you are speculating onit you better be pretty smart to know when to pull out before it does.

Now if you went into thinking this is were I am going to live for the next 10-15'years or more and you meet the previous criteria I stated then it's not a bad thing. It may not be as great as you think though either
I normally agree with your posts, but here I strongly disagree with what you and Silver are saying.

We understand that rent is like a test drive and it's great for people that want that freedom and flexibility, and that's fine. However going back to my original point you can't say that renting and is financially more responsible or is a good business decision to one that can "afford to buy a home" because that is just not so. Looking at owning a home as an investment vehicle on the other hand is one thing. Most of us understand that nothing is guaranteed but paying rent is essentially paying someone else's bill except you have nothing to show for it in the end. Think about it. Yes you can move around and relocate, but you can you leverage your expenses and potentially make $$? Can you remodel, Can you sell? No, most cases no and definitely no. What exactly do you have in the end, your freedom, ok got it.

Also your notion of owning a home as being a security blanket for kids is very single sided and quite frankly just isn't so. There are many people here that still even in today's market flip coin on buying and selling or buying and renting properties for other "investment" purposes. There's a great term here that's huge among business owners, called "It takes money to make money" think about the landlord you're paying your rent check too and get back to me on all those ppl that are using homes as security blankets.

Put quite simply if you make a decision and it is within your means of affordability, the smarter thing to do is leverage what you have in attempt to have more. You can't sell what you don't own and that's the bottom line.

Risky lending has caused the housing industry to fail! Looking forward, If you can afford it after looking at your budgets/income/career, I would 100% say go out and get a house while you can. Now if your lifestyle says the latter, than by all means give that money to the landlord, the person most likely using you as his means to more.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #84
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Meanwhile, in Texas...

That's about 40K for the land, in an ideal area.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #85
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I actually started a thread about home buying, but I recieved very little help. I closed on my 2500sq ft with 2 car garage and in ground swiming pool. My house had all the up grades in it. I paid 278k, I used my VA Loan. By 2015 I want to be completly of the electric grid, is anyone else of the grid?
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #86
BenRice
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
BenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We installed a 3kw solar system at home in January but are still tied to the grid (in New Zealand btw). Due to the placement of the panels we should see no bills in summer and in winter it should reduce by 50%.

It should have paid for itself in 11 years, but in 10years if we decide to stay we will extend the house and add another 4 panels and replace the inverter, and hopefully the technology in batteries has advanced enough to allow a bank of batteries to be added to the system cost effectively.
BenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #87
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
I normally agree with your posts, but here I strongly disagree with what you and Silver are saying.

We understand that rent is like a test drive and it's great for people that want that freedom and flexibility, and that's fine. However going back to my original point you can't say that renting and is financially more responsible or is a good business decision to one that can "afford to buy a home" because that is just not so. Looking at owning a home as an investment vehicle on the other hand is one thing. Most of us understand that nothing is guaranteed but paying rent is essentially paying someone else's bill except you have nothing to show for it in the end. Think about it. Yes you can move around and relocate, but you can you leverage your expenses and potentially make $$? Can you remodel, Can you sell? No, most cases no and definitely no. What exactly do you have in the end, your freedom, ok got it.

Also your notion of owning a home as being a security blanket for kids is very single sided and quite frankly just isn't so. There are many people here that still even in today's market flip coin on buying and selling or buying and renting properties for other "investment" purposes. There's a great term here that's huge among business owners, called "It takes money to make money" think about the landlord you're paying your rent check too and get back to me on all those ppl that are using homes as security blankets.

Put quite simply if you make a decision and it is within your means of affordability, the smarter thing to do is leverage what you have in attempt to have more. You can't sell what you don't own and that's the bottom line.

Risky lending has caused the housing industry to fail! Looking forward, If you can afford it after looking at your budgets/income/career, I would 100% say go out and get a house while you can. Now if your lifestyle says the latter, than by all means give that money to the landlord, the person most likely using you as his means to more.
Agree with you. There isn't a financial advisor out there that will tell you renting is financially smarter then owning. People have their own reasons to buy or rent but if you can buy it is smarter.

The same goes for buying vs leasing a car. In the case of a vehicle it made more sense to me to lease with the particular car I own now.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #88
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
is there already a houses/house mods pic thread?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #89
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:

Wow you so missed important parts of my post. I stated what the original ideal of home owning was I did not state it was the end all be all. I also stated that if you have the ability to flip houses to make money you can.

Fact is most people can't flip houses and make money in fact a lot of times they lose just like flipping cars. Everyone will tell you can't mod a car and make money. Actually some of us do and have. same goes for houses.
Fact is I can make more money off financial investments in less time than owning a house.
Ok and don't get started about financial advisers. Fact is indeed there are financial advisors out there that will tell you that owning a house is not always the way to go.
You guys smoke the pipe of the American dream with the twist of the I want it now of the early part of this century. Fact is there a few markets in the country that have rising equity in most places equity is flat if not still somewhat negative. It does not make financial sense for all people to own homes. Jus like car leases can be favorable to owning the car and making payments.

Stop looking at from one side. Maybe my post came on strong from the opposite but it was rooted in financial awareness and facts. Do you watch the financials markets everyday? I do and I follow housing as well. All I am saying is don't just merrily jump on the idea that owning a house is better. It's not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Agree with you. There isn't a financial advisor out there that will tell you renting is financially smarter then owning. People have their own reasons to buy or rent but if you can buy it is smarter.

The same goes for buying vs leasing a car. In the case of a vehicle it made more sense to me to lease with the particular car I own now.
Actually Mel you are wrong here. Read what I wrote above. Oh and your comment about your car lease actually does contradict the first part of your car statement.

I will say again guys stop thinking its written in sand one way. It's not and it's not that simple or cut and dry.

I should add any homeowner is not going to like what I wrote. They bought and own a house to tell them it might not have been the wisest choice of them offends and bothers them. You could say that as well as the homeowner telling the renter he made a bad choice.

Only real difference is if I can make more off investments in ten years than the equity earned from owning a house, while paying less rent and no property taxes or upkeep costs. No realtor fees , no bank fees. Then I have probably put my money to better use than owning.
That is a fact, owning a house does not mean you are not throwing money away. It all depends on needs, costs and markets. Not all is the same in any given region of the country.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #90
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Wow you so missed important parts of my post. I stated what the original ideal of home owning was I did not state it was the end all be all. I also stated that if you have the ability to flip houses to make money you can.

Fact is most people can't flip houses and make money in fact a lot of times they lose just like flipping cars. Everyone will tell you can't mod a car and make money. Actually some of us do and have. same goes for houses.
Fact is I can make more money off financial investments in less time than owning a house.
Ok and don't get started about financial advisers. Fact is indeed there are financial advisors out there that will tell you that owning a house is not always the way to go.
You guys smoke the pipe of the American dream with the twist of the I want it now of the early part of this century. Fact is there a few markets in the country that have rising equity in most places equity is flat if not still somewhat negative. It does not make financial sense for all people to own homes. Jus like car leases can be favorable to owning the car and making payments.

Stop looking at from one side. Maybe my post came on strong from the opposite but it was rooted in financial awareness and facts. Do you watch the financials markets everyday? I do and I follow housing as well. All I am saying is don't just merrily jump on the idea that owning a house is better. It's not always.

Actually Mel you are wrong here. Read what I wrote above. Oh and your comment about your car lease actually does contradict the first part of your car statement.

I will say again guys stop thinking its written in sand one way. It's not and it's not that simple or cut and dry.

I should add any homeowner is not going to like what I wrote. They bought and own a house to tell them it might not have been the wisest choice of them offends and bothers them. You could say that as well as the homeowner telling the renter he made a bad choice.

Only real difference is if I can make more off investments in ten years than the equity earned from owning a house, while paying less rent and no property taxes or upkeep costs. No realtor fees , no bank fees. Then I have probably put my money to better use than owning.
That is a fact, owning a house does not mean you are not throwing money away. It all depends on needs, costs and markets. Not all is the same in any given region of the country.
My point was to he contradictory.