Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
s13_ricky
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (13)
s13_ricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
s13 Upgrade rear diff cover question

Guys, I recently bought a rear diff cover for an LSD, I then realized it came with nothing. I'm sure I can find some bolts from some hardware store but I was wondering what do I do about the breather tube? Is there anyway I can make my own? I've searched but was unable to find anything regarding this. Thanks.

This is what I picked up from FRSports

s13_ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_ricky View Post
Guys, I recently bought a rear diff cover for an LSD, I then realized it came with nothing. I'm sure I can find some bolts from some hardware store but I was wondering what do I do about the breather tube? Is there anyway I can make my own? I've searched but was unable to find anything regarding this. Thanks.
If you wanted to, you could drive your own studs into the cover and mount it as if it were OEM. Though, I feel like bolting it into place might make install/removal easier.

As far as the breather tube goes, can you remove the tube from your OEM diff and install it in the new cover? If not, the breather is just an atmospheric vent, I'm fairly sure that you can run with just a hole - though I'd suggest putting mesh or something over it to keep dirt/rocks/etc out.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
I'd figure out what cover that's from and just try to buy a used one with all the studs/breather tube already on the thing. I've tried messing with those studs before and they are a bitch to get them to stay in the diff cover if ever removed. I tried removing the breather tube from my s14 cover a while back and ended up destroying it.

Also that diff cover should have a splash shield type thing for the ring gear on the inside... might not be good if that's missing as well.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I feel like bolting it into place might make install/removal easier.
I beg to differ...

Using bolts would more likely cause the inside of the holes to strip on the cover if you don't have the diff aligned perfectly. Having the studs in the cover help to guide the diff into place, not to mention hold the diff up (when not bolted) so it doesnt fall on you.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
stud threads have a different fit than bolts
if you use bolts instead, they make vibrate loose over time.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
biggie
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
biggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to biggie
Would recommend going in a hardware store with it and finding whatever you need.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
bladetech8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
bladetech8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
EVERYTHING you need (Studs and Breather) can be obtained brand new from NISSAN for under $20.. I know this because I bought new studs and breather for my JDM VLSD Diff Cover (Item pictured from FRSport)..

You cannot remove the old breather without mangling it up a little around the lip..
bladetech8 is offline   Reply With Quote