Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up S13 BC Racing BR Coilover Review

I have owned my 1990 240sx for a little over 2 years. I recently upgraded from a RSR Spring and Tokico Shock set-up to the new BC Racing line of coilovers. The new BR Series comes with 8/6 spring rates and are 30way adjustable. When I first opened the box they felt just as heavy as the flex’s that a friend and I were installing that same day. The BR’s have pillow ball mounts at all four corners and a tapered cup design, which prevents unwanted height and preload adjustments while driving.

The rides firm yet very smooth even with 8/6 spring rates this shows how controlled the dampening is and how well BC did on building there new line of coilovers. The install took about 2 hours including adjustments of the ride height and camber. The BR’s can be adjusted to go pretty low, I tucked my 18’s in the rear and still had about 2 inches to go lower.

For the test drive I went up PCH from Newport Beach to Malibu, dividing miles between the different settings. What really sold me on these was how smooth the ride is. At full stiff the car was stiff as a board and extremely steady. At the softest setting the ride was very comfortable and smooth with no bouncing.

Hands down the BR series coilovers are excellent, I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a great product by a company that produces high quality parts with a great price.

The only suggestion I have for BC is to offer a 9/7 spring rate for the BR’s,

Here are sum pics of them installed

DP_Michelle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Look good, how do they ride?

more pics of your car? curious to see the stance

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
I've never heard of these. who sells them?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
ALEXTHESUS*PECT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
ALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfectionALEXTHESUS*PECT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ALEXTHESUS*PECT
et pics next your friends car at the same time. more pics of the whole car from a little further away.

TEAM SUS*PECT
ALEXTHESUS*PECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
you tucked actuall wheel??

or the tire??

looks like you can drop alot more, put them all the way down, and lets see the car on the 18's
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftwerks
you tucked actuall wheel??

or the tire??

looks like you can drop alot more, put them all the way down, and lets see the car on the 18's

no i tucked the actual wheel. that pic is after the alignment i'm not going any lower tell i get my rear arms
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #7
DriftSpecial180
Zilvia Addict

DriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP_Michelle G
no i tucked the actual wheel. that pic is after the alignment i'm not going any lower tell i get my rear arms

Even though you can technically drop they collars down all the way down the shock body, it isn't recommended.

1) its a lot more noisy when there is no preload on the spring
2) you are minimizing shock travel, a real nice way to ruin your coilovers a lot faster.

The real lowness test lies up front. are you maxxed out up front?
DriftSpecial180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

ECHO
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=115562

240, the ride's nice i dd it on 13 clicks and the ride's very smooth

nismo, thats one thing i did not do before he left back to mexico i'll get more pics of me car up this weekend when i wash it
Old 04-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
Leetheslacker
Zilvia Junkie

Leetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond reputeLeetheslacker has a reputation beyond repute
damn dude

got enough wheel weights?
Leetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
^^^^^

hahah wtf are you talking about???

that is the point of coilobers, to still maintain travel while going lower.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
DriftSpecial180
Zilvia Addict

DriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by drftwerks
^^^^^

hahah wtf are you talking about???

that is the point of coilobers, to still maintain travel while going lower.

Look at this picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP_Michelle G
The BR’s can be adjusted to go pretty low, I tucked my 18’s in the rear and still had about 2 inches to go lower.
It may seem like you can go 2" or 3" lower by drooping the spring. But if you do so, the damper will be compressing and the piston will be setting past the middle of the shock tube. Therefore, increasing the chance of your coiloBers hitting the bump stops and wearing them out a lot quicker.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
1qwk240

1qwk240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftSpecial180
Look at this picture...

It may seem like you can go 2" or 3" lower by drooping the spring. But if you do so, the damper will be compressing and the piston will be setting past the middle of the shock tube. Therefore, increasing the chance of your coiloBers hitting the bump stops and wearing them out a lot quicker.
The kit isn't like ground control where you always loose shock travel by the lower you drop the vehicle. The shock travel maintains it's full travel because the assembly lowers into the lower body. No matter how low you drop the vehicle the shock travel will be the same. Hope that makes sense and helps
1qwk240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Midori
Leaky Injector

Midori is a well-known jackass
So how much do they cost?
Midori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
No, because if you bottom out the lower mount, you have to drop the spring down

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #15
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
look at the front coilover first.
the diff is the front spring is sagged a bit and the rear is not when the car is up on jacks. looks like it can be dropped more on the rear without sagging.

looks great btw.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
djp.
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

djp. can only hope to improve
where did you order these from? look like a good set
djp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #17
xblack240x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
xblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xblack240x
They look good but as most have been asking where did you order them from? How much did you pay?
xblack240x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #18
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
How are those Collars going to hold up,

what does the Spanners look like?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
laxplaya8513
Zilvia Member

laxplaya8513 is on a distinguished road
The link for the group buy has already been posted for whoever keeps asking ^^ http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=115562
laxplaya8513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
1qwk240

DP_Michelle G

Is your drop at full extend and your drooping spring as mentioned above or are you leaving full shock travel and only dropped utilizing the lower mount?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #21
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
1qwk240

Did you graduate highschool? It seems like you didn't because you have a pretty incredible skill for writing run on sentences.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #22
1qwk240

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
1qwk240

Did you graduate highschool? It seems like you didn't because you have a pretty incredible skill for writing run on sentences.
I didn't think sentence structure was the topic of the thread. By the way, you forgot a comma after didn't.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #23
1qwk240

Mainevent212- jk

I just want to clarify if this system is able to offer a good drop. One without going to the extent of drooping springs. I agree with one of the above posters. Drooping springs will kill your shock absorbers. Plus, what are the chances of landing between spring seats correctly always? I'm sure thats not safe.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #24
Ian
Post Whore!

Drooping springs isn't the end of the world. If you droop them like 10 feet you will have problems, but 1" isn't going to kill anything.

These are made by the same factory as megan racing shit IIRC.

I'm pretty sure I didn't need to use a comma there, by the way.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
Old 04-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #25
1qwk240

I have done a bit a searching around. The rumors are they are made in the same factory as megans, but so is apexi. I don't believe that really matters, as every brand probably has different specs. These must for sure, as they are bigger than megans (piston rod). Either way, they seem to be a promising kit. Read this review I ran into http://features.evolutionm.net/article.php?id=84
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #26
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

Sorry for the late replys guy's

in the pic that DriftSpecial180 posted i had just put them in and did not adjust the ride yet and no i did not drop spring

and yes bc racing makes the magens aswell as alot of others out there in japan

i also need to change my front tire size so i can lower
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #27
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
And these just like other modern coilovers do not loose suspension travel when you lower them. They are adjustable length coilovers. Drooping spring would only take away from the height adjustment side and wouldnt do anything. You could droop the spring to lower it but then when you wanted to go super low you would loose that adjustment because the bottom spring perch would hit the lower shock mount faster. Looks like many other coilovers that have plenty of adjustment in the rear. Toe rods usually hit before coilover is even close to bottom on rear. Front is where most people cant go any lower but like Michelle said most cars are limited by tire size anyway.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #28
DriftSpecial180
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood
And these just like other modern coilovers do not loose suspension travel when you lower them. They are adjustable length coilovers. Drooping spring would only take away from the height adjustment side and wouldnt do anything. You could droop the spring to lower it but then when you wanted to go super low you would loose that adjustment because the bottom spring perch would hit the lower shock mount faster.
Yes, i know how dual adjustable coilovers work, i have had Silk Roads and KTS's. If you droop spring, you do lose susp travel because its letting the damper compress. if you adjust bracket, you're moving the wheel up into the wheel well, not effecting travel. Front damper passes throught the bracket, no worries. rear damper can't pass through the bracket so it eventually maxxes out (like mine). therefore your only option is to droop spring. Guess not many of you are there yet...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #29
wanganwonder
Zilvia Addict

wanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to beholdwanganwonder is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftSpecial180
Guess not many of you are there yet...
Oh my god, do you want a fucking cookie?
wanganwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #30
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganwonder
Oh my god, do you want a fucking cookie?

Im not there. Take out the yet because I will never be "there" I like my car to handle correctly.